Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you folks think of the Remington 798?

Default What do you folks think of the Remington 798?

I may have a good opportunity on a Rem 798 in .375H&H, and I really don't know much about the rifle. I haven't followed the Remington History for many years, so this is a new rifle to me. Mauser action.

What say you? Good stuff?

Try the search function two threads on this rifle in the last 4 months. Lots of good info
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

AZ, I got one in 458 and 308 and love them.

The 458 is at WWGuns getting a haircut! 26 inches of barrel is too much for a 458 so The Kid" is gonna do it up right at 20 inches.

The 798 "Safari" grade...the 375HH and 458 are real nice. They have two cross bolt recoil bolsters in the laminate stock and the one I have has the nicest production gun glass bedding job that I've ever seen.

I ordered mine from a CDNN add in Shotgun News for $499.

I might add that the triggers aren't anything to write home to mother about but thats an easy fix!

I say go for it!

Yeah I shoulda looked at the search function.

I do like the looks of them, and the good old Mauser action has gotta be plenty dependable. I was just curious if there were any kind of issues with the safety or anything else I should be warry of. The one I'm looking at has a kinda ugly multi-colored laminated stock, but that's an easy fix for me.
    The price is fairly negotiable, I beleive...he's been trying to sell it for a year but AZ isn't big on .375H&H's (I'm not really sure why not...Seems like a great DEER/ELK gun to me! )

Cool, good to hear some good feedback on it. Time to start pulling some $$$ together. Looks like I'll actually have to do some work this month.

I guess I'll go out to the garage and make up my new "will work for gunz" sign.

Wink

[QUOTE=arizonaguide
    The price is fairly negotiable, I beleive...he's been trying to sell it for a year but AZ isn't big on .375H&H's (I'm not really sure why not...Seems like a great DEER/ELK gun to me! )

[/QUOTE]

I dunno? I'd have to do the math to see if had enough KE for deer! Sorry...had to do it!

They had to find length for the .375 h&h in the mauser. They took it out of the lower bolt face. The .458 or .308 you have no problem but I don't like the look of the .375 h&h in model 798.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    They had to find length for the .375 h&h in the mauser. They took it out of the lower bolt face. The .458 or .308 you have no problem but I don't like the look of the .375 h&h in model 798.
    I'm unclear jkb, do you mean that the bolt is now too thin in an area to provide adequate containment for the .375's pressure...because material was removed to make room for the longer cartridge? What do you mean exactly? I'm unclear what you refer to exactly (I'm not a gunsmith...so it's kinda unclear to me). More info?

Mauser actions are my all time favorite clones being high on my list. The 375H&H is my personnel all time favorite. Yes it will fill the bill for you like no other. With good bullets you will not find a better killer or anything that tears up meat less than the .375H&H, I don't think you could find a better hunting rifle or ctg.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Mauser actions are my all time favorite clones being high on my list. The 375H&H is my personnel all time favorite. Yes it will fill the bill for you like no other. With good bullets you will not find a better killer or anything that tears up meat less than the .375H&H, I don't think you could find a better hunting rifle or ctg.
    Thats a pretty worthy endorsement right there AZ. You best jump on it!

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    I'm unclear jkb, do you mean that the bolt is now too thin in an area to provide adequate containment for the .375's pressure...because material was removed to make room for the longer cartridge? What do you mean exactly? I'm unclear what you refer to exactly (I'm not a gunsmith...so it's kinda unclear to me). More info?

The bolt face is opened up at the bottom. The depth of the bolt is not recessed at all.

By the way, the .375H&H is the only ctg that I know that will kill any game on this continent.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Yup, I think I'm gonna grab it (if I can).
    I can fine tune the trigger and stock to my likings without too much trouble. Too good to let get away.

It's a great rifle I just don't trust the mods they made to the Mauser action. Sticking with a 2.5 inch case makes the 798 a great choice.
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    It's a great rifle I just don't trust the mods they made to the Mauser action. Sticking with a 2.5 inch case makes the 798 a great choice.
    JKB, I'm not being controversial, I'm just wondering in what way you don't trust the modifications on the .375 version? Is it a reliability issue or a safety issue or something else? What are you thinking could be wrong/go wrong?

They removed material from the lower locking lug I just don't trust it. It may never fail but not with me. I owned a .375 h&h in a 798 I only paid 500 for it but sold it. In .458 or .338 I think the 798 is awsome. The .375 case is .035 inches longer than a .458 so they have to find the length somewhere.
    Unknown author

I have a Whit worth that is the same action as the 798, literally has shot many hundreds of round of .375H&H through it, I also have a Mauser action made around the turn of the 20Th century for the English gun makers that has many hundreds of rounds through n0t a problem so far with any of them. Yes mostly I collect old M-70's in this caliber that are not nearly as strong as the Mauser action, but they seem to hold up OK. But then I absolutely hate push feed action except for punching holes in paper.

I thought these illustrations were pretty cool. From the Montana Rifle website.

And another cool parts diagram.

I purchased the .375 H&H model in walnut from CDNN. See nice enough. I have a question about the follower. Why is there a such a large gap in front of the follower? Every other mauser or bolt action rifle that I have owned has a follower that fills the whole space. Probably nothing, but was just wondering.

Couple more 798 pic's.

I ran across another 798 on gunbroker yesterday. It was a walnut one in 7mm mag. The buy now price was $419 new in the box. I couldn't help my self. I then went to digging around in the "gun stuff" cupboard in the garage and found 100 rounds of unfired brass and a box of 139 grain bullets. Looks like the coyotes may have to draw another line in the snow next winter! I also bought another 799 this one is in 22-250.

I'd say I pretty much have a full battery of them now. 222,22-250, 308, 7mm mag, 458 win mag. I'll post a picture when the 458 gets back and the rest get here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast