Thread: wind indicator?

Default wind indicator?

You generally see it on the TV shows but I was wondering how many of us actually use some type of wind indicator. When I say that, I'm refering to some type of powder. I know that most will use a wet finger ,the sway of the vegetation, throw something in the air or pee in a circle till they get wet If you use a powder, what do you use and why?

I always carry a little poptop bottle of powder made by Hunter Specialties.Mainly for bow hunting but it's small enough to leave in a jacket pocket.

Little squeeze bottle and Purchase unscented talc or regular cornstarch no scent on these. Or do it like they do in Africa pour it in a dirty sock You can get it almost anywhere Billard stores sell unscented talc
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Just saw a commercial yesterday for an electronic one. Don't know how we ever did without technology like that

Same as first two posts. I like that powder they call it smoke in a bottle. Works like a charm. Used it a few years back stalking an elk in MT. Carry it everytime I am in the field.. Light and small...

Default Finger vs Powder

I use the little powder bottle as well, most recently on a successful brownie hunt. Finger works fine in open areas, but when working ridges or mountain sides, even tight timber, I find the finger sometimes lies or more accurately it only tells you what the wind is doing at your finger. With powder you can notice if the wind is swirling or if thermals/winds are pulling your scent up or down a ridge as well as left or right. On the stalk, I keep the bottle handy in a pocket, so I check wind direction frequently/discreetly.

Default Needed? Does it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    ... I was wondering how many of us actually use some type of wind indicator... some type of powder... and why?
    In Alaska hunt situations, which I guess could range from steep goat/sheep, to wooded moose, to open caribou terrain for instance... does having a powder wind indicator make a difference? No doubt they are great at detecting light...especially very light wind, but do they detect wind that you couldn't detect otherwise?

Here's what I'm wondering: more often than not, it seems wind direction has predictable plus unpredictable factors. Generally on a given day, it seems to have a prevailing direction, but is variable throughout the day, sometimes predictably. In steep country, the variability is predictable - downhill in AM and uphill in PM, or change as you move in/out of certain terrain features. In river country, there's a tendency to blow upstream and in open country, a tendency to blow depending on the dominant weather system in the area - something like that. Is the prevailing wind direction or trend often too subtle to tell? Isn't the toughest wind problem- guessing those unpredictable swirls or whatever that makes it blow 90-180 degrees out-of-kilter for those few minutes. Isn't the real problem with wind, predicting what it will do and not detecting it? When do these detectors really pay off up here?

Thanks. Best wishes to all in the season ahead.

Default Talc Powder

I have a couple sqeezers I carry when using a rifle often - I think they have helped on more than one occasion. Sometimes it just helps even when game has not been spotted to just give you a general direction to start out I feel.
    When bow huinting I have for years just stuck a couple cotton balls in one of the many holes most of the bows have today and pull off small tufts when I want to verify the direction. You can watch that tuft go a long ways at times and it can swirl around much more than you think from the original direction when you let it go....
    I have refilled my bottles with Talc powder - much cheaper than the original for sure!

I use the Bic lighter I already have in my pocket. If it is blowing too hard to light, wind direction is obvious. If you are so close the sound is an issue, you should be handling your bow/ gun, not a wind indicator.

Smile

Why I bow hunt, I keep a little plastic squeeze bottle filled with .....talcum powder.
    Even in a "slight' breeze it will give you a direction.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i just look to see what directions the mosquito's are flying in from...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Wind drifters

I use a product called Wind drifters that are similar to frayed yarn. It comes in a snuff sized tin and you pull some it out, let it go and are able to watch the wind currents for a long way with good visibility. It comes in handy to tell you if there's a cross wind, swirling winds, etc away from the location where its released unlike most scenarios where you only know what its doing at the location where your standing.

Default wind indicator

I also use talc in a squeeze bottle and I also have a small yarn tuft or maribou plume tied to my top riser on my bow, I can see that easily and don"t have to move a lot trying to squeeze the bottle when on a stalk.

Default intersting

Quote Originally Posted by Wingert View Post
    I use a product called Wind drifters that are similar to frayed yarn. It comes in a snuff sized tin and you pull some it out, let it go and are able to watch the wind currents for a long way with good visibility. It comes in handy to tell you if there's a cross wind, swirling winds, etc away from the location where its released unlike most scenarios where you only know what its doing at the location where your standing.

I couldn't find anything on it. Do you have a web site you can share?

A couple good products from a good company:

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Win...ductinfo/1214/

http://www.kustomkingarchery.com/Whi...ductinfo/0602/

I'm not affiliated with the company just a satisfied customer.

KODIAK at heart, but Midwest by occupation, for now

While hunting whitetails in the midwest, I've used dental floss or string tied to my bow or rifle barrel. Even tied a small down feather to the end of the string. But up in the Alaskan mountains, there are numerous other natural indicators on which way the wind is blowing at that paticular second. You just have to pay attention to your surrondings.

As someone mentioned above Smoke in a bottle works great and has a great hang time.
    I refill mine with chalk line chalk, it's a little heavier than the original smoke but it gets the job done..

I tape my muzzle of my rifle with black electrical tape. I noticed when I pulled rifle from my Koplin rifle case on my wheeler years ago that I always had some red material from inside of gun case sticking to my black tape residual. It makes a great wind indicator as you hunt to watch the wind as you hunt. I have used a piece of AK cotton on muzzle of rifle also.

Default Windfloaters

I posted the previous note from memory...which unfortunately failed me. The product name is Windfloaters. The website is: http://www.greatdayinc.com/windfloaters.htm

Wingert