Thread: Distress Question??

Default Distress Question??

Why do some F/V say Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong and some say Mayday, Mayday, Mayday?? What is the origin of "Pong". I was just wondering? Thanks

Default Pan pan pan pan

(pronounced pon) indicates an urgent situation of a lower order than a "grave and imminent threat requiring immediate assistance", such as a mechanical breakdown or a medical problem.

Securite Securite Securite= indicates a message about safety, such as a hazard to navigation or weather information

Mayday mean oh crap save me
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hunta View Post
    Why do some F/V say Pong, Pong, Pong, Pong and some say Mayday, Mayday, Mayday?? What is the origin of "Pong". I was just wondering? Thanks
    Like Alaskamutt said. Here's a little more detail:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-pan

Also, the USCG Auxiliary has some great boating safety classes in the local area that go into a lot of detail on this (and many other) subjects. Completion of the course also earns you a hefy discount with most boat insurance carriers.

Cool

Dang it! I was sure I wasn't going to learn something today....
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

right on, very interesting. Thanks

So, now I'm confused. It is spelled pan, is it pronounced pan like pots and pan? Or pon line ping-pong minus the g?

Also, can somebody provide an explanation of how to pronounce securite?

Default French Sécurité

Also, can somebody provide an explanation of how to pronounce securite?[/QUOTE]

French
    Sécurité Sécurité Sécurité
    English
    or Listen Up Listen Up Listen Up

This is simply means that there is important safety information that will be forth coming.
    Example would be the Ak state Ferry is letting other boats to take caution since she is entering a narrow channel and can not move quickly to get out of someone else’s way.

When a marine radio transmission begins with "Sécurité, sécurité, sécurité" from French sécurité, it means that what follows is important safety information. The most common use of this is by coast radio stations before the broadcast of navigational warnings and meteorological information.
    It is normal practice to broadcast the Sécurité call itself on a distress and listening frequency such as VHF Channel 16 or MF 2182 kHz, and then change frequency to a working channel for the body of the messages. An equivalent Morse Code signal is TTT, with each letter sent distinctly
    Although mostly used by coast radio stations, there is nothing to stop individual craft broadcasting their own Sécurité messages where appropriate, for example, a yacht becalmed (rendered motionless for lack of wind), or any vessel adrift or unable to manoeuvre near other craft or shipping lanes.

Default Alert to "I may wish assistance, who is around"

Alert to "I may wish assistance, who is around if it gets worse"
    A call that originates as a "pan-pan" signal might be followed by a Mayday distress call if the situation deteriorates to the point of "grave and imminent danger", thus warranting immediate action (intervention, assistance, response) on the part of listeners in accordance with standard operating practices for distress signaling.
    Fouled propeller, engine failure or out of fuel
    Small fire on board - now extinguished Unsure of position Man-overboard recovery and so on

pan pronounced pon (like pong without the g on the end)
    securite pronounced See Cure I (like the word "it" but without the t on the end) Tay (like day).

What is wrong with English?
    Why do I have to dial 1 for English?
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

pan pronounced pon (like pong without the g on the end)
    securite pronounced See Cure I (like the word "it" but without the t on the end) Tay (like day).
    Thanks skydiver. I get what the various alerts are for, just wasn't sure about pronunciation.

Default DSC MMSI, it's Free, Monitored by Commercial, AUTO gives GPS

In summary, what DSC and an MMSI number buys you is:

1) A simple way for a completely inexperienced person to put out a detailed emergency call on your VHF radio.

2) A more reliable and simpler way to initiate ship-to-ship VHF transmission.
    3) Ever Commercial Vessal is required by Law to have DSC MMSI

MMSI stands for Maritime Mobile Service Identity. It is a 9 digit unique number that is associated with your specific VHF installation, and really like a digital “Call Sign”.

DSC stands for Digital Selective Calling. It is an added digital capability available on all fixed-mount VHF radios sold since 1999 (FCC requirement).

Here is how to get it working for you:
    1) Make sure your VHF has DSC capability (if not, buy a new one)
    2) Have your VHF connected to your GPS
    3) Get an MMSI number (see below for details on how)
    4) Program your MMSI number into your VHF
    5) (Optional) Program in the MMSI numbers of boats you frequently call

Notice that your DSC-equipped VHF has an “Emergency” button. After the setup is complete, if that button is pressed your VHF will send out a general emergency call including details of your MMSI number and your exact position all automatically. Even if everyone on board becomes incapacitated, the VHF continues to broadcast the emergency with all relevant details.