Thread: On Large, Tough As Well As Dangerous Game

Default On Large, Tough As Well As Dangerous Game

As many of you know I like heavy for caliber bullets and for good reason when I have used them on Large game that were thinned skinned but tough animals just due to their body weight, muscle and bone structure, as well as dangerous game. Now the reason I used heavy for caliber bullets is due to the many years of being in love with the 30-06 and it still is my favorite go to rifle and cartridge and the most fun for me to use for many reason that I will not expand on at this time, maybe later.

In fact there have been two specific times in my life that the 30-06 actually was in my hands while hunting and I survived being charged at close quarters. For this discussion, I am talking about 220gr and above for the 30-06. I have used A-Frames, Partitions, Woodliegh, Hornady Interlock and Sierra ProHunter (the latter two were round nose).

Top performers for me were Partitions and A-Frames. Also, a real surprise for me through the years has been the Sierra ProHunter. Now I have not stated all of this to start some debate on which bullet is best, which bullet weight is best or if the 30-06 is enough (I know the 30-06 is enough rifle and cartridge, because I have used it off and on for over 30years and have killed the most game in my hunting life with the 06). Matter of fact, none of the above mentioned bullets when used in my 06 rifles has ever failed on my hunts to take the game.

To qualify a question I am going to ask, I load my 30-06 with MRP and drive a 220gr bullet just over 2600fps and that is chronographed results. Many of you are familiar with my extensive load work in developing my hunting loads. Now that said, I would like a response from those hunters who have used the 30 cal. Sierra ProHunter 220gr bullet on game and what was your experience like when using this bullet?

Now, please don't someone get on hear and make up some story because you don't like the Sierra bullets are their ProHunter and for some reason out of some self concluded theory, you don't think it will work, so you make up some hunting story to discredit the bullet. Most of us will know if you have made up the story because of some bias and you could end up being exposed and discredited and I surely don't want that to happen. Please, if you have used it on large heavy game, describe the wound and what were the affects on the game, and also mention where you hit the game.

I have used the Sierra 220gr bullet on 7 large boar (lightest being 350 and the heaviest being 498 pounds), one eland, two elk and a 508 pound black bear. All of these were pass throughs except the eland but it fell where I shot him. Only two of the above went about 30-35 yards. One was a boar and other was an elk. Please remember, I would like to know your experience with the 220gr Sierra. I am curious to know if others have been surprised by its effect on game, being a simple none bonded nor partitioned bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Further note: With the 220gr Sierra ProHunter my actual average velocity with MRP is 2648fps

Max Point blank range is 275 yds when zeroed at 218 yds.
    Range - Not more than +3" above line of sight and not more that -5" below line of sight.

Yards Drop Velocity Energy optimal game wt
    Muzzle -1.5 2648 3425 1348

100 +2.8" 2405 2826 1010

218 0.0" 2136 2229 708

275 -5" 2012 1978 592

Hold on top of shoulder of deer size game at 280yds and good out to 370yds
    280 2002 1957 582

370 1816 1611 435
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Interesting post. Have three double rifles in 30 06 and have made the 220 my bullet to test on animals. Accuracy is there for sure. Never thought I needed a "premium" bullet because the velocity of the 06 loads are well below the 300 mags.
    Hope you get some well deserved feedback.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    ... Now, please don't someone get on hear and make up some story because you don't like the Sierra bullets are their ProHunter and for some reason out of some self concluded theory, you don't think it will work, so you make up some hunting story to discredit the bullet. Most of us will know if you have made up the story because of some bias and you could end up being exposed and discredited and I surely don't want that to happen. Please, if you have used it on large heavy game, describe the wound and what were the affects on the game, and also mention where you hit the game.
    I never would make up a story just to disparage a bullet, but on a recent buffalo hunt in Australia, I was charged by an angry Quoll, which we regretably had awoken from an afternoon nap. I wasn't really expecting this, but they move very fast, and easily can take out a jugular or worse if you don't stop a charge. They have very large teeth:

I was hunting with a custom 500 Jeffrey with handloaded 535.7gr Sierra ProHunter bullets chronographed previously by the Naval Weapons Research Labs at 2,735 fps. I barely had a second to think but fired a perfect shot right into the heart-lung area. The bullet not only failed to penetrate the animal's thick fur, it also did not even expand as it bounced off the animal and onto the surrounding grass. Mercifully, the noise and blast and possibly the bouncy noice made this fierce animal briefly stop its deadly charge. It hesitated for a second, maintaining an agressive and terrifying posture:

I backed away into the PHs truck to safely live another day, but I never will use another Sierra ProHunter.

That is good, I really liked that Very good humor man, very good.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Interesting post. Have three double rifles in 30 06 and have made the 220 my bullet to test on animals. Accuracy is there for sure. Never thought I needed a "premium" bullet because the velocity of the 06 loads are well below the 300 mags.
    Hope you get some well deserved feedback.

Snowwolfe, I found the 220gr Sierra ProHunter acting like the original Barnes bullet use to use. It is an interesting possibility for use in a 30-06 due to the 06 velocities. Has worked well for me so far and creates an impressive wound channel, especially when it exited.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    That is good, I really liked that Very good humor man, very good.
    Thanks. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful though.

P.S. The photos camse from my 6-yr-old's kindergarten homework--had to find five interesting things beginning with the letter Q.

Default doubles

would love to see photos of the 30/06 doubles! Didnt know they made them are they expensive?

I also like heavy bullets for caliber. To me the 30-06 shoots the 220 great. All the 300 supper slammer folks say my gun out preforms the 06 and I drive a 165 gr supper sonic. The 300's should be shooting 250gr to my thinking. Again speed kills on a motorcycle but not bullets

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    would love to see photos of the 30/06 doubles! Didnt know they made them are they expensive?
    I think you can still find some over and unders for less than $2.500,Winchester,Valmet and the type