Thread: What Works? PWS Kings

Default What Works? PWS Kings

Going to be on the water over Memorial day weekend in PWS. I really want to help my dad get a "Nice" king. We will be using down riggers and plug cut herring. Maybe a flasher. Can anyone else impart their secert weapon to go deep and hook a BIG Daddy in salt water?

Default where in PWS?

PWS is not exactly a king fishing place unless your going out of Seward. I'm assuming your talking about Whittier and if you are it will be tough. There just aren't many rivers that have Kings going up them so there isn't really any runs of Kings around.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

how far out in the sound do you wish to go? if you want kings on a consistent basis go out to the south portion of the sound.
    Boatless

Default How far south?

Open to almost any area in PWS to find a nice King.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Tenderfoot View Post
    Going to be on the water over Memorial day weekend in PWS. I really want to help my dad get a "Nice" king. We will be using down riggers and plug cut herring. Maybe a flasher. Can anyone else impart their secert weapon to go deep and hook a BIG Daddy in salt water?
    if you want kings for sure without having to take your boat WAY south in PWS have you considered maybe Deep Creek/Anchor Point? There are some nice ones just starting to go through and by Memorial Day weekend it should be hot if the fish show up. I was out there today and in about 3 hours of fishing for them hooked into 3 that probably went in the 25 to 30 pound range. Bigger ones to come!

I think the southern entrances are the answer to "how far south?".

I also think that there are feeders from parts unknown that trickle into the sound. I picked up two in the high teens while waiting for shrimp pots to soak. They were caught trolling at the mouth of the northern inlet/fjord in which I was shrimping.

11" hotspot-type flashers, a long-ish (6') leader, and a cut herring will catch kings any time, any where in salt water, if they're feeding. If you don't want to hassle with bait or there are a ton of black rockfish around, use a 4.0 or 5.0 coyote spoon. Last year's feeders came on a 4.0 coyote.

Default PWS Whittier

The hatchery at Esther Island used to do Kings hence there are a few very few that where able to spawn and make it back on there own. Stragglers at best. I picked up one last year at the head of Culross island. but they are for sure had to locate. But DEEP DEEP (400') is the word!
    So impossible is not the answer very very hard is!
    Even the head of Passage had some a few years ago, guess released ones? but there again deep

gillnets work

I'd go somewhere else
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Tenderfoot View Post
    As others have noted, go somewhere else to target kings. But, with that said, there are some areas in Bainbridge Passage, Dangerous Passage and the other passages on the upper side of Montegue Island where the chances are better. Kings could be anywher in the sound, but the only place really shallow enough and with the right structure is down south. And you will probably still not catch any......Or maybe you will.....They are really hit and miss. Homer, Deep Creek, and Seward are way better fishing when it comes to kings. PWS is mostly an interception fishery and you're going to have to go long (meaning south) to find them in any decent numbers if at all. However, with that said, there is no place like the sound. Enjoy your trip.

Yeah, I might stress again Deep Creek or Anchor. If you use the tractor launch at Anchor you hop in your boat, they deposit you in the water and the run is about a mile and a half north (you have to go up past the river mouth one mile to get into the legal zone for fishing) so it takes you five minutes to get to where the fish are. From Deep Creek you head south a couple of miles or more.

Another nice thing about either place is you can run out to about 60 to 70 ft. of water and get your limit of halibut at slack tide. I caught two 40 to 50 pounders, a tiny chicken and a 17 pounder in about an hour out there yesterday. Sometimes when you're there you'll suddenly see about 90% of the boats that are trolling pull all their gear about an hour and a half before slack and head for the halibut grounds. Then about an hour and a half after slack it suddenly gets busy trolling again. I won't stress it too much since I don't want the competition, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Yeah, I might stress again Deep Creek or Anchor. If you use the tractor launch at Anchor you hop in your boat, they deposit you in the water and the run is about a mile and a half north (you have to go up past the river mouth one mile to get into the legal zone for fishing) so it takes you five minutes to get to where the fish are. From Deep Creek you head south a couple of miles or more.

Another nice thing about either place is you can run out to about 60 to 70 ft. of water and get your limit of halibut at slack tide. I caught two 40 to 50 pounders, a tiny chicken and a 17 pounder in about an hour out there yesterday. Sometimes when you're there you'll suddenly see about 90% of the boats that are trolling pull all their gear about an hour and a half before slack and head for the halibut grounds. Then about an hour and a half after slack it suddenly gets busy trolling again. I won't stress it too much since I don't want the competition, though.
    Yeah me either....don't need one more guy at the launch....I personally love fishing in Cook Inlet. It really is a special place.