Thread: Backup parts kit for Redhawk

Default Backup parts kit for Redhawk

Hello all,
    I've got my trusty Redhawk in .44mag with the 5.5 inch bbl and we will soon be moving off the road system into the bush. As we all know, living up here has it's limitations on shipping and availability of certian items. That being said, I want to lay in some extra parts for my Redhawk just in case. I'm familiar with semi-autos and rifles and shotguns, but not so much with revolvers. What would you all recommend in a backup parts kit?
    Please don't limit your responses to what you think I will be able to do myself, I'll find a smith if I have to, I just want the parts up here and with me.

THANKS!!

MOuntaintrekker

For the life of me I cant recall a Redhawk breaking parts.

Lost ones from folks taking 'em apart.

Rear sight blade maybe

Since they introduced the Redhawk 20? years ago, I've rarely replaced any parts on them other than the rear sight blade. You can break these if they are dropped or hit hard enough. Can't think of anything else that is prone to failure on the gun.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

I agree with WA & GB. I bought my first Redhawk in the mid eighties and shot it many thousands of times with no repairs--though I can see how dropping it may damage the rear sight blade. I'd still be shooting that first 44, but a "friend" borrowed and lost it some time ago. I have two other Redhawk revolvers, but I've not shot them more than a couple thousand times apiece-no problems yet. They are a bit heavy and bulky, but they are about as durable as a revolver can be built IME.

While as stated the Redhawk is pretty well indestructible, if you want a spare parts kit I'd say to buy yourself 1 front site blade, a pair of rear blades and just for good measure an extra spring kit from Wolff. I don't think that your springs will ever wear out but if you happen to drop it in the creek and don't quite get it dry the springs might need replacing, probably never happen, but if you want extra parts those are the only thing other than sites that I could think might breakor rust up. Besides you probably cant get any parts other than those listed readily.

I don't think you'll ever need any of these things, but they are cheap and piece of mind might be worth something.

Thanks for the info... I guess I made a wise purchase 5 years ago! I'll stock a set of sights and an extra spring set. Just in case anyone was wondering on where to get parts, http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=8352

These guys have quite a selection.

Mountaintrekker

Sign me up for the ???????????????? crowd. I got two Redhawks the first year they came out, and my neighbor got one. I couldn't begin to guess how many rounds and how many miles are on them by now, but call it plenty. Never a problem, and they're still as tight as new. I can't say that about any other 44 I've owned.

Default Redhawk

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Sign me up for the ???????????????? crowd. I got two Redhawks the first year they came out, and my neighbor got one. I couldn't begin to guess how many rounds and how many miles are on them by now, but call it plenty. Never a problem, and they're still as tight as new. I can't say that about any other 44 I've owned.
    Ditto that ! I have a 5 1/2" and 4" Stainless .44 Redhawk. Great choice for the bush. I have never heard of a mechanical breakdown with a Redhawk, just abuse from dangerous handloads.