Thread: Weldcraft boats...

Default Weldcraft boats...

Just wondering what kind of experience people have had with Weldcraft boats. There is one on craigslist right now with a marine power V6 engine and american turbine pump. How reliable are these motors and pumps?

Default Weldcraft boats

I own a 18 ft Renegade with the 4.3L GM motor, and the SD 309 jet. I bought it last fall, and ran it out as far as Jack Bay in Valdez. I had no worries and plan on going out further this year. I also run the boat around up here and would guess it run in 12 inches or less of water when your on plane. It runs very good and I am happy with it. My top is fairly worn, and I am going to have a new one made the week of the 17th. They are quoting me 13-1400 to have a new top with back drop made in case it is a concern of yours. How many hours are on the boat? I would say over 400 and have a compression test done on the motor to make sure its strong. Also, ask to take it for a test ride, I think you will be happy. It runs good in the ocean as long as swells are under 3 feet, greater and you just need to slow down into the 20's (will run mid 40 MPH). Runs great in the rivers, if its shallow throttle it and go! Hope it helps!

Shawn
    AKShawn

Default Ride

If you are in the Fairbanks area, let me know and we can take mine on the Chena if the guy wont let you test ride.

AKShawn
    AKShawn

http://www.riverjetmagazine.com/fuse...orum/index.cfm Maybe try posting over here, there were some guys that had that set up.What i know is V-6 and a AT pump should be good med duty set up, As long you keep in it,s weight range should get long nicely.There more of speed pump than a heavy hauler.

Funny you should mention the compression akshawn...it's an '01 and has 320 hours on it and the guy who is selling it told me one cylinder has only 60% compression! So this particular weldcraft is a no go for me. He said it was worth around 20k and came down only 4k for a new motor!

Default I love mine!!!!!!

I bought a 2004 18 foot renegade with a carburated 5.7.
    The only complaint I have is I don't get to use it enough. Still only have 55 hours on her>

I had a 20' Renegade HT with an inboard 350 and the SD309 pump. I really liked mine and sold it only to upgrade to an larger ocean boat. I think Weldcraft make a nice boat.

Hi flyfiskak30. Don't see you much anymore...how are things going?

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default weldcraft

I owned a 1994 weldcraft jetboat with a 351 redline and a kodiak pump. I thought it was an excellent boat, very well made

I had a 2002 Weldcraft Renegade 20' With the 4.3 and a SD309...Here is the real scoop!

Great Fit and finish. Would do a GPS'd 40 on the lake with the top down and one or two other people. They have a 14 degree deadrise, which means it does ok in the rivers and the oceans, but not great in either. They are narrow bottom boats (60"). It drafted (on step) about 4-5 inches. The biggest problem was because of the single stage pump and narrow bottom. It required a bit more speed to stay on step than what I wanted. When loaded down, it took much longer to get up on step than with a light load (thanks to the single stage pump/V-6). It handled great, turned sharp, and rode nicely. The reverse sucked! No power to pull of a bank, and no stopping power either. It would barely dip the bow under max reverse. There is a better reverse bucket available, but I didn't have it. The stock one pretty much blows air directly under the intake...

If you are looking for an "all around boat" it would be a fine choice. It did get great mileage, and was a nice boat for sure. Too much of an "ok at a bunch" for me though. I plan on doing a bunch more exploring with my next boat, so a shallower V will be necessary.

Good luck

Joe