Thread: Age and latitude descrimination

Default Age and latitude descrimination

Just got a quote for my annual insurance renewal. This year's quote was more than 10% greater than last year's premium. I called the broker and he gave me three reasons: 1) my aircraft has past its 30th birthday, 2) I just had my 60th birthday, and 3) I fly above the 60th parallel. The broker (AOPA) did find the same coverage from a different company for less money than I have been paying, but with a small deductable. I guess I'll never understand what those guys in the insurance offices are thinking. Why do they think an experienced pilot flying a well-maintained, albeit high-time, aircraft with no damage history in the sub-arctic is at any greater risk than a novice pilot flying a newer aircraft in congested airspace in the tornado belt? I haven't seen the data to support that thinking.

The good news is that I don't need supplemental hurricane coverage.

Whew! I feel better after that rant. Here's a salute to all senior pilots and their elderly flying machines!

...on second thought, here's a salute to all pilots and all aircraft!

Patiently waiting for spring,
    Dan

I fly a 1946 Cub, so she will be 61 this year. Although she had new EVERYTHING in 1991.
    We don't have tornados, we don't have hurricanes, never have damaging hail storms, And less aviation related crime.

But they still stick it to us......

Angry Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Just got a quote for my annual insurance renewal. This year's quote was more than 10% greater than last year's premium. I called the broker and he gave me three reasons: 1) my aircraft has past its 30th birthday, 2) I just had my 60th birthday, and 3) I fly above the 60th parallel. The broker (AOPA) did find the same coverage from a different company for less money than I have been paying, but with a small deductable. I guess I'll never understand what those guys in the insurance offices are thinking. Why do they think an experienced pilot flying a well-maintained, albeit high-time, aircraft with no damage history in the sub-arctic is at any greater risk than a novice pilot flying a newer aircraft in congested airspace in the tornado belt? I haven't seen the data to support that thinking.

The good news is that I don't need supplemental hurricane coverage.

Whew! I feel better after that rant. Here's a salute to all senior pilots and their elderly flying machines!

...on second thought, here's a salute to all pilots and all aircraft!

Patiently waiting for spring,
    Dan
    Hey Dan,

You're right ! Why don't the insurers remember that an airplane, unlike an auromobile, requires a rigid inspection, at least annually. And, if flown commercially, the inspections come much more frequently.

Besides, in most states one can get an automobiile driving license almost as easily as getting to the nearest Sears Roebuck! It's my appraisal that both aircraft and pilots must pass muster, while car drivers don't. Crazy, ain't it?

I have a '62 cub. The torque tube and throttle handle are origional

I'm 59, and I still have some origional parts as well, but not a whole lot better then the cub.

I sure enjoy hearing all the moaning from you boys.... poor baby. Just look at what I have to look forward to when I get old like you!

Inside every old codger is a young man wondering what the hell happened!

Dan,

Are you doing off-airport work with your plane? Last time I looked the AOPA policies don't cover it. Sounds like the same scared/uniformed thing about the latitude too. Check out AVEMCO, their policies for SEL cover off-airport for wheels and skis. They also lift the above 65degree Latitude coverage if you have Alaska time and live here. When I asked them about that silly clause in their standard policy, they said the actuaries found that people come to Alaska from the Lower 48 get in all sorts of trouble up the Arctic due to the remoteness and lack of airports/fuel. I believe that knowing all too well about taking care of yourself when flying north of the Arctic Circle, so I can see why it is a risk. Keeps the tourists out.

My plane is 10 years older than me, but probably with better parts than me. My plane too might have the data tag and throttle handle original. Ive owned it for thirty years, and it will be with me until my end.