Thread: anyone Floated Upper Chunilna Creek (aka Clear Creek)?

Thumbs down anyone Floated Upper Chunilna Creek (aka Clear Creek)?

Looking for some information on level of difficulty through the canyon section, using alpacka rafts.. Also interested in fishing in upper clear creek in late July.

thanks in advance.

Default Access?

Plans for getting to upper stream?

Here's a thread with info, helicopter and otherwise:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=36999

Good luck.

Thumbs up

Completely doable... good time... why the 'thumbs down'?

Default Clear Creek

Brad Miekljohn has done it, rated it class II -III in the canyon, and said it was fun.

Default update for transportation (helicopter)

Thanks for the link 6xLeech, only problem is in planing for my trip to the Talkeetna area this year I ran into a dead end with John's old phone number.
    I tried the old business number and a guy named Scott Dunn with Heli-Dunn answered.
    Seems as if something has come up with John this year and won't be around, Good news is now we ride in an Astar.
    Business number is 907-733-7772 it is forwarded straight to Scott's cell phone.
    I spoke with him last week and he was in Anchoage with both of his ships, he had spent some time flying for the heli-ski outfit in Valdez. And planned to be in Talkeetna soon.

Did it two years ago over labor day. Great float. We did it in an 18 foot cat and a 12 ft. otter. The 18 foot cat was too big (we were lucky the water was a little high). the otter seems just right. I'm not expereinced with a pac-raft but it seems like a good river for it. If you are fishing I suggest you focus your time on the upper portion of the float for bows. The canyon is pretty straight forward. Just a couple drops and its over.

Like Woodman related... spend as much quality time on the upper stretches - well worth it. We've used 10.5' paddle cats and 13' oar-rigged cats.

Thumbs up thanks for the information.. appreciate it..

Its great to have a forum where like-minded folks can share information and help each other

cinch

Exclamation

The canyon is not a class II-III!!!

Running the canyon drops are a class IV and have bordered on -V... exception to -V or V being shorter duration and some shallow gravel washes (river right) even tho' you are still walled in.

Nice thing about run is that high tension power-lines across the river signal the canyon and quite technical drops coming up. Scouting is not too hard a climb - I recommend looking it over (particularly set-up & sequencing 3 different drops in rapid succession)

Don't take this as not to get out there and do it... however to make a good description you are combining: character beginning like upper Talachulitna Creek section with wood (like logs, dams, sweepers and strainers) all over the place except you are in the mountains ----- then through combo of the Happy River and upper Talkeetna canyon sections in the canyon itself ---- winding up a little like parts of Lake Creek at the confluence.

Certain water-levels will give you different looks, make a little more room or less, and change the grade somewhat... this makes it very similar to something like the Happy River.

Default It can get pretty loggy up high

Canyon........
    Attached Images Attached Images

i know guys have floated it all the way out in personal cat rafts...
    haven't heard of anyone dying on it so must not be real bad...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Bacon Creek

Brad Meiklejohn went in this drainage which is a tributary, and is class IV-V, at least if a 10 foot falls would rate in that range. There is supposed to be a sequence of three drops of 6ft, 10 ft, and 4 ft if this is how I remember his report. This may be what Brian is talking about.

Default Def. Bacon Creek

http://packrafting.org/forums/viewto...on+creek#p1332

Here is the thread with some cool pics on Bacon.

Default More pics

Here are a couple early spring run-off pics for kayaking, R2ing, and smaller cats (doable but bony for packrafting)... more or less just a different look at another water-level.

And yes... lots of wood down on upper river!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Upper Clear Creek Float (aka Chunilna)

I appreciate your comments Brian. and those pictures are worth a thousand words..

Good to know about the The power lines just before the canyon... do you have any GPS coordinates for the start and end of the clear creek canyon section.... where you indicate PR Class IV and PR CLASS V rapids exist in late july.

How many miles of Canyon would you say there are..... it appears on the various maps i have studied.... that perhaps as much as 13 miles of canyon floating could be the case.

thanks in advance..

cinch

just flew it yesterday and my untrained eye didn't see anything that looked like a huge disaster, from the powerline down there wasn't any trees acros the river, water was clear and enough that the shallow spots weren't real bony. but if the water drops much, which is will by end of july since all the snow is almost gone in the headwaters, i think big rafts might have trouble in some spots..others might be able to correct me on some of this.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Smile floating upper clear creek (aka chunilna creek)

thanks for that information BRWNBR..
    i havent checked the snowpack levels for that area yet.. but it sounds like a drier year from your report, which will lead to lower waters in late july.

thanks again..

cinch