Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best gravel/rocky river anchor

Default Best gravel/rocky river anchor

i need a new anchor and i want something that works good in the more gravel and rocky rivers.

Thumbs up Susitna anchor

Been using the susitna anchor for alot of years and it works good. Just get a heavier one, like 25# and 10' (or 1/2 of your boat length) of good chain. She'll hold really well, even in the Talkeetna. Haven't found anything yet that'll grab a hard siltpacked smooth bottom. You'll just drag it, but at least it'll slow ya down. That stuff is like concrete and we have plenty of it, especially around the big Su. Can get them at AMDS, Marita, and BJ's. Have seen people use the Rogue river style, but only on the Deshka, but with that soft bottom (especially at the mouth), anything would work. Good luck...

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I make these for fishing the Columbia but shipping one to AK would be spendy. The rocking chair anchor I have in a couple sizes 28# & 33#. The pointed tines penetrate hard bottom really well and the shovels hold in the soft stuff I have had very good feedback from my customers. They are hot dip galvanized to last. They are set up to use a break away design in case the get stuck. Where we use these a Danforth or plow anchor won't hold.

Mike

A air hose.

Don't matter what you are doing or where you are at, that thing will stop you.

( just a little humor)

Don't buy a Richter. I bought a 25lb for my 20' boat and my 20lb navy anchor it was going to replace holds better. The Richter tries to grab, then rolls. I think I'm going to try a 30lb navy anchor.

I use the one in the picture. Seems to work good for me.
    The down side is it weighs 45#.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The older I get, the better I was."

What is everyone else using?

Default cabelas river anchor

I bought this one in the river style a couple years ago and it hold me pretty solid, haven't had to much problem pulling it loose either
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...316&hasJS=true
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I built a modified Richter style design, only it is not plastic coated like the Richter and digs in better. Same 5 "prongs", but all stainless steel, prongs are longer, it doesn't roll, body is 1/4" wall sched. 80 pipe filled with lead and welded shut, weighs 35# or so, works well in all but the faster water. Plus it's all about the chain guys, gotta have it. Even more than 1/2 your boat length isn't too much when the water is faster. 15' seems to work well, keeping a Sport Jon in place fairly well. My pennies worth, Oz

I got my river anchor at dewey I think they call alaska river anchor I helped a guy last year in duckworth and it held great for winching his boat out. i'll get ya a pic here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    i need a new anchor and i want something that works good in the more gravel and rocky rivers.

Below is an anchor that is a little larger than what I used after trying a few from SW, Deweys, etc. on my last jon boat. I believe it's a "Danforth". It worked great on both the river and bank and held me in place unlike the other anchors I bought.

I sold it with my boat a few months ago as a package and need to get another one. The one below can be found on Craigslist of you can hit West Marine or Trustworthy down in Soldotna.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Default Get or make a Rocking Chair Anchor

I used a rocking chair anchor with a float bouy on the Columbia river for years. Best thing going for holding boats in a swift river. It would hold my 25' bayliner trophy rock solid in swiftest Columbia river currents.

I have seen these used on the Columbia River in the lower 48. They have a point where you use a plastic tie so if the anchor gets stuck, the tie breaks and you pull it up by the head of the anchor.

http://ezmarine.com/index.html

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    I got my river anchor at dewey I think they call alaska river anchor I helped a guy last year in duckworth and it held great for winching his boat out. i'll get ya a pic here tomorrow.
    ... and it worked well today to winch out my Phantom. That's one heck of a set-up Mike - I'll have to add it to my 'list'.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    ... and it worked well today to winch out my Phantom. That's one heck of a set-up Mike - I'll have to add it to my 'list'.
    <a

Thumbs up Kenai River Anchor

Kenai River anchor available at Trustworthy in Soldotna.
    It is a single center fluke anchor. Used by everyone on the Kenai witch is a gravel/rocky bottom.
    On my 16' driftboat my 40# solid lead pyramid holds great on the Kasilof but will not even begin to hold on the Kenai. I bought a Kenai river anchor and chain and do not have a problem anymore.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Hey I've been there... Did you ever post a picture of this setup. My "setup" requires too much back and leg work... I've been looking for a easier (more mechanical) way out of these situations...

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Kenai River anchor available at Trustworthy in Soldotna. Used by everyone on the Kenai witch is a gravel/rocky bottom.
    I second this anchor. I fished lower Kenai for many many years and used one with about 8' of 3/8" chain. They hook up great. I still remember when I got it at River & Sea Marine the fellow there (Nigel) asked me where I was going to use it. I said "Kenai" and he replied "that river bottom's paved".

Anyone have a pic of the Kenai river anchor? Sounds interesting

I have no idea what the name is. But it has worked great on winchen a duckworth and phamton out..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast