Thread: First trip to AK: Nome

Default First trip to AK: Nome

I'm going to be in town for a week for Tyler & Erika's wedding on August 7th. I'm planning to do as much fly fishing as I can, as long as it's daylight. It seems there will be quite a few species to target.

If anyone would be so kind as to send along suggestions for flies or the classic spots to send an out-of-towner that just wants to get his rocks off, I'd appreciate it.

For what it's worth, my lips are tight, and my willingness to buy you a few beers and a burger in exchange for information is no secret. And the next time you're in the Seattle area, I'll gladly hook you up with an equal amount of information about finding our favorite Sea Run Cutthroat trout.

PMs welcome.

Cheers

Welcome to the Forum Jason. I plan on going up to Nome sometime in August myself. There should be some Silvers in the river then, as well as Dollies and Grayling. Be sure to check the regs, I know they have put some restrictions on Chum fishing throughout that region. Below is a link to some pretty good information about Nome, they have a pretty decent road system that gives you access to numerous rivers. I used to fish all of them when I was a kid, so I'm looking forward to going back and dredging up some great memories. You might want to shoot a PM to DanattheRock, I know he used to live and fish there quite a bit also.

Fish On!

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...DFs/nome07.pdf
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks bigcox, that's great!

Lots of dries for grayling
    Big Dahlbergs for pike
    Flash Flies and ESLs for silvers
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

There is some great grayling fishing in Nome! Boy if I could remember the creek, typical grayling stuff you can find all over this forum.

Default Nome info?

I cant wait til August!!

Is it possible to get a proxy on the see run cut throat action info in WA since Big Cox is a friend??

just asking?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Shoot me an email man. Will you have an ATV to use. Rental truck? Happy to share what I can. Got some pics I can send you as well. Great time August is for fishing in Nome. Your transportation will dictate the options.

Danattherock@hotmail.com

Dan

Also, curious to hear any tips on cutts. In Seattle airport now. Just spent a week on POW and Ketchikan. Caught a few cutts yesterday on Wilson Lake. Going back next year.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help guys, it's much appreciated.

I cannot wait for this trip!

A lot will depend on water levels...but early in August should be before any serious threat of fall flooding to blow things out.

I always liked the small creeks like Cripple and Penny rivers for dollies...both are accesible by road easily from Nome; ESL's and polar shrimp patterns were my faves. For grayling, hit the upper parts of Snake river...take Glacier Creek road back in a ways and hike the pools/riffles...they'll hit just about anything you toss onto the surface.

No pike to speak of really near Nome that I ever encountered unless you're able to hit the lower stretches of the Pilgrim River or Fish River...but they're still pretty spotty in those areas, IMO.