Thread: Newbies first bait station.... need input

Default Newbies first bait station.... need input

Well, I hauled all my junk up into the hills yesterday to a spot I've had in mind. I'd planned on heading down into a valley where I figured I'd be the only one around. After getting there things didn't look like I remembered when I was there a few years back. But that was in the fall. Not as thick, or maybe just not as green yet. Anyway, I setup on the edge of a nearby ridge in some trees and alders that drops down to a long valley adjacent valley. A fire hit parts of the area a few years back but I'm setup on the edge of a valley where it didn't' really hit. I was there and committed so went ahead and setup but now I am second guessing my decision. It seems I should be down in the valley more. My hopes are that thermals will carry scent down and perhaps bring one up or over.

How much traveling do these black bears do in the spring?

Do they cruise from valley to valley?

Should I try and move down more to a valley floor?

How long should I wait before considering moving the bait station if I don't get any hits? I figure I'll head up wednesday or thursday and see if it's been hit. I have baitem907 ball hanging up and some other scent scattered around.

Here's a couple pics.

It's drops off into long the valley behind the bait and to the right that did not get hit by the fire. My ground "blind" is in a nice little clump of trees and brush and out 25yds from the bait. (handgun hunting) I cleared a little brush for a shooting lane. Behind me it's a little open area and drops off to an are hit by the fire a few years ago.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

got water nearby Perry? in may 20ish-mid/late June the boars will be in rut and on the prowl so they will move more miles then normal.. however a hard rutting boar will not hang out at your bait he will go wander lusting again.. some years you just never know whats going to happen. some of my best sites sat untouched last year all the fires have sure modified the patterns some.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You might get a couple of the Bear Bomb's that are Sow in Heat and set a few of those off.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Perry, I have had better luck with baits on or near ridgelines than in the valley floor. The whole thick and beautiful bait by a creek at the bottom of a valley thing, has never produced as well for me as baits higher up. Blacks use ridge tops as travel corridors....I swear. Boars do wander, but if you get some sows visiting the bait regularly the boars will come. If you can avoid or hold back on shooting a sow in the next 2-3 weeks, a boar will most likely show up at some point looking for your girls. Good luck, hope you whack a big one. And if you dont whack a big one, the smaller ones eat way better!....grin

Perry,
    I second AlaskaCub. Ridgelines allow for your scent to travel further. Looks like a nice set up with great shooting lanes. Good job Newbie
    You're hunting on Bacon w/ Estrus those boars will be in. Trust me
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Okay, thanks guys. It seemed like a good spot at the time. I just have a tendency to over analyze stuff at times. Plus, I hear of guys setting up off rivers, see pics of barrels in thick woods, etc. Anyway, I'll let it ride and see what happens. The nature of the area allows a stealthy approach to my hiding place, I can park the quad further up the ridge on the other side of a knoll then skooch down the back side of the ridge and up and over to my blind. I'm pretty happy with that part of it.

baitem907, did you notice the bait ball in the pic hanging up there? I used rope between two trees. Do you think I should have used wire? It's about 12ft up. I suppose if mister bear climbs the tree and rips the thing down he deserves it.

Oh and Vince, there is water probably 1/4-1/2 mile down in the valleys.

I yanked a 20gal pressure tank out of the dumpster a few weeks ago, cut a hole in it and cutout the rubber diaphragm. Then found it has a metal separator in it as well so I cut a small hole in the top, stuffed both compartments full of popcorn, honey water/syrup mixture and called it good. Fits nicely on the back of the quad.

Snyd,
    The ball looks great! I had to really look for it in the pic. 12ft up is awesome! The trees really don't look big enough for a brownie to climb. As for wire or rope... one swipe and its gone but they are really going to have to work for it. If it does get torn down look around. We generally find our ball within 20 yards of the bait.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Snyd,
    The ball looks great! I had to really look for it in the pic....
    Kinda looks like a flying saucer swooping through trees

Just great... I look forward to hearing from NASA soon
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Default Newbie

Snyd,

Looks great! I tend to like a little more cover, but as long as the bears have some cover while coming into the bait it will do great. Some people will swear by using grease. If you pour it on the ground by the bait they will track it off along with the scent. Can be a pain to clean up, but I like to use and have had good luck with it. Just my $.02... Best of luck!!

AKShawn
    AKShawn

Grease is a Brown Bears best friend, IMO. Go sweet and you'll be fine. Get some Anise spray and coat the area or pour some molasses on the ground and walk in it so you'll get it all over when you walk out.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks for all the input guys. I've stayed away from grease at this point. I have a bacon/estrus ball hanging, sprayed the brush/trees with anise as well as a couple sponges and stuck em in a tree and sprinkled some blueberry scent balls on the ground around the area and back in the brush. I also poured my honey water/syrup mixture around. Man it was smelling pretty good by the time I was done! I think I'm on the right track.

any luck snyd?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. I've stayed away from grease at this point.
    Personally I would use some grease if you can get it. Its the best scent bait of any kind, its scent gets tracked everywhere a visiting bear goes!

Default Grease x10!!!

Grease is a huge deal. Bears get it on their feet and carry it wherever they walk, therefore leaving scent trails all over. I think it is especially important when you are putting in a new stand. Not sure how grease "favors" brown bears, but I always tell anyone just baiting to use grease first and foremost. Brown bears like blacks will eat anything, sweet or rotten.

I use molasses the way most use grease. Pour it all over the ground in front of the barrel and on tree branches and it will stink the area up hardcore and they will track it in and out.

It's easier to get in large quantities too.

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    any luck snyd?
    No hits yet. Checked it yesterday. It'll be 2 weeks this saturday. I may go up and do a honey/slumgum/beehive leftovers burn one evening this weekend.

Question grease

Ya grease will bring in the bears but from what i have found is the browns will camp the bait site and run off other bears.. the first time i tried it had a 9foot brown stay at the bait site for a week he dug a 10" by 5" hole about 3 feet deep under trees. He made a bed right next to the bait, wish i had took pics was really impressive. Got a good charge out of that one, I am a firm believer in molasses. I am on the Kenai Peninsula and as we all know there only a few Browns down here lol..........
    Bow hunters do it with longer shafts

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Perry, i have always been memorial weekend or the one after in this area.. have faith bro!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here