Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What .45 ACP Would You Get?

Default What .45 ACP Would You Get?

I had a call from a friend last night looking to get a .45 ACP. He would really like a Colt, but acknowledges he can't afford it. (Wife put a limit on him of $500 to $600)

For him to get the best bang for the buck, sorry about the pun, what would you recommend?

He will not use it for cc but just taking it out to shoot. And he is stuck on .45 ACP only.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I had a call from a friend last night looking to get a .45 ACP. He would really like a Colt, but acknowledges he can't afford it. (Wife put a limit on him of $500 to $600)

For him to get the best bang for the buck, sorry about the pun, what would you recommend?

He will not use it for cc but just taking it out to shoot. And he is stuck on .45 ACP only.

Base Colts are around $749. Tell his wife he either spends the extra $150 or just toss the the first $500 in the barbeque since buying $500 1911s is just wasting money

Does it have to be a 1911? Lots of good .45's out there for that price...

XDm .45 if/when they ever hit the market. (only polymer I myself would own).

If it has to be a 1911, the springfields are a pretty good bang for the buck.

My third choice to recommend would be a Glock (dependable), but ONLY a .45...no other Glock's on my list. Glock .45's ONLY...NEVER the .40's. (IMHO). Okay, MAYBE a 9mm if that was the ONLY gun available. But Glock .45 would be my third choice in .45's (for someone else, that is).

Myself, I like a metal gun/double action trigger...so I'm looking for a S&W

But I'd like to try a polymer XDm .45 as soon as they are available...for any possible move to the "dark side" (polymer) for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Base Colts are around $749. Tell his wife he either spends the extra $150 or just toss the the first $500 in the barbeque since buying $500 1911s is just wasting money
    THIS^^^

There aren't many .45's out there for $500-$600. I guess if I had to, I'd look at a cheap Para Ordnance, or a used Kimber or Springfield. As for non 1911's, I'd get an H&K USP, no question.

If he's stuck at $500 and it must be a .45- get a Glock. At least it will work right out of the box.

If you can drum up a used Sig P220 that might fit the bill. Several refurbed ones were floating around here last year, a buddy snagged one for $400 to live in the glove box of his truck. What a bargain.

Cheap(er) 1911s are no bargain. I love 1911s but I've had my share of frustration with cetain "budget" models and not a few more expensive ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Ditto. Every payday just set a little extra aside, and after a couple months, he have what he wants.

I know if I had the coin, I'd get two (2) Colt Gold Cups to fill my Galco Miami rig. And if I had even more coin then I'd buy into the longslide 1911's.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Can you buy any of the guns listed for $600(Glock, Springrield, or H&K)? Maybe used.
    Steve

Thumbs up

1 more for GLOCK ~ in .45ACP

No-fuss reliability! Will never test your patience on delivering dependability and accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Can you buy any of the guns listed for $600(Glock, Springrield, or H&K)? Maybe used.
    Steve
    I priced a new Glock 21 at Sportsmans yesterday for $559. I've seen them cheaper as well.

Great stuff guys. I passed along the info to him this morning. He'll be heading to Anc next week so I told him to hit all of the gun stores and to see and handle as many .45's as he can find till he finds something he likes. I told him he might even hit a sale and come away pleased.

kingfisherktn

Smith and Wesson M&P is a nice shooting .45 that falls in the price range.

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Steve
    Naw.....we do new Glocks for $549

What about the Ruger P345? I fondled one a while back and it had a nice feel to it. Seems pretty slim as well for carry. Any of you guys have any experience with one?

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    What about the Ruger P345? I fondled one a while back and it had a nice feel to it. Seems pretty slim as well for carry. Any of you guys have any experience with one?
    I told him to check that one out when he is in Anc. Info on it looks good.

If I had to get a .45 ACP right now for that price, I would likely get this:

Then, you have a nice option to bump up to a Rowland conversion....

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Speaking of Ruger, here's a good article on the P90.

Glock, Ruger, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, etc. all fall into this price category (some even with sight upgrades)

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I priced a new Glock 21 at Sportsmans yesterday for $559. I've seen them cheaper as well.
    What barrel length these have?

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    What barrel length these have?
    4.5"... regular full size Glock 21.

Just cause I think that theses are a lot of bang for the buck, I say save your money and find a real nice series 70 1911 Colt and put some money n it to get it the way you want it. The other way is to buy a Colt Gold Cup and build it the way you want it. Anything else is just a waste of time and money.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast