Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks area blackies

Default Fairbanks area blackies

Any sightings or hits in the Fairbanks area yet?

Just checked our stand today and no hits. The earliest we have ever been hit though is May 5, so we are hoping that by next weekend we should get some activity. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I'm not a very patient person and I think those blackies should have already been eating all my sweets.

No one else we know in the Fairbanks area has been hit yet either, so we aren't alone.

A buddy took one outside Fairbanks last night. The blackie had been there every day for the last week. However, another stand he was checking, hadn't been hit yet at all.

I'm relatively new to the area, so can't give a better description without him killing me quicker than he shot that bear. :-) We went out and checked the baits yesterday AM, and he went back and got the 6' sow last evening.

Just depends on your area and how long quality baits have been established. All of our bread and butter baits have been hit and they are all in unit 20. So yea...they are out and moving.

That being said...these first couple of weeks the bears are not eating much. Mostly just nosing around, picking at some food and nibling here and there. In the next week, once things leaf out even more, their appetites will kick in and they will start feeding more on the bait sites.

Default Hits

I hunt in the area, if you consider a couple hours away the area. I usually dont put my bait out until the first week of May, and dont get hits until after mid to the third week of May. Its early yet, be patient - it will pay off if your doing things right.

AKShawn
    AKShawn

We put bait out on the 5th with about an inch of snow on the ground. First hit was on the 7th. Hunted Saturday night the 8th and shot a nice boar. Definetly the earliest I have ever shot anything here in the interior. Also found several nice tracks where we put two more baits out Saturday.
    ear bait 2010 045.jpg

ear bait 2010 043.jpg

Default No tracks

No tracks in the muddy river bed surrounding my bait on 3 sides, so I am feeling good on my timing again this year. Good to see others are out early though!
    AKShawn

Glad to hear people are starting to get hit here in the Fairbanks area. Our area is starting to "green up" now, which is a good sign. Can't wait until Sat., when we can get back out and check and sit in the stand.

nwf99, congrats on the bear.
    1buba, congrats to your buddy.

Hopefully soon I can have my first bear story posted here. My husband is letting me use his established bear bait area this year, so I'm getting really anxious to have bears hit.

Keep the stories coming from the interior. They are getting my blood pumping!

I put mine out saturday. I'll go check it wed or thurs eve.

I also am baiting for the first time, I put my bait out Saturday. South of the city, put up a trail cam too. I can't wait to go check later in the week.

Default n of Fairbanks

I hunt north as a crow flies of Fairbanks I'm close to the Yukon river the earliest I have ever been hit is 21 May in 5 years. Anybody else with similiar historical data. Seems to me temps usually are 10 degrees cooler.
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

I had my bear sealed tonight. Skull measured just shy of 17in. The guy at fish and game said I was only the second black to go thru him. I guess quite a few grizz are being brought in. In 10 years of baiting I can only remember once where we killed a black bear before memorial day.

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    I had my bear sealed tonight. Skull measured just shy of 17in. The guy at fish and game said I was only the second black to go thru him. I guess quite a few grizz are being brought in. In 10 years of baiting I can only remember once where we killed a black bear before memorial day.
    You can't post about a successful kill without pics. It just isn't right.

I (we) demand pictures!

Default Bear Pic

Here are the pictures by request. Hopefully this gets everyone pumped up for the coming weeks. Notice the one picture of his pad. I had to pull all the hair back just to uncover it. I think there was a previous thread on bears shedding or regenerating there pads. Well heres a good picture of it!

GetAttachment.jpg

DSCN0447.jpg

Nice looking bear. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 27 View Post
    I hunt north as a crow flies of Fairbanks I'm close to the Yukon river the earliest I have ever been hit is 21 May in 5 years. Anybody else with similiar historical data. Seems to me temps usually are 10 degrees cooler.
    For me May24th has been my earliest for the same area, but that has also been the 1st day we ever baited. Meaning I have yet to put bait out before the 24th.

this is the bear my buddy took Saturday evening (5/8 @ ~ 8:30).
    Unit 20.

The bear is the better looking of the two.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    Unit 20.

I got to getout and see if things a moving early in my spot??????? look out here i come.......
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    Unit 20.

I haven't been hit yet but good to see that yogi is out early this year. Hopefully my baits will start getting hit soon.
    Congrats on the bear.

Wow, nice looking blackie. Hopefully when we get to check our bait this weekend, we will see that the bears have moved in. Congrats to your buddy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast