Thread: sport jet reverse bucket

Default sport jet reverse bucket

I have a reverse bucket with extensions welded on. The reverse still sucks...backing off the trailer, away from the bank, or just low-speed in general. I noticed that near the base of the extensions, there is a hole in the bucket on either side at least 1" in diameter. I presume it was used to assist in getting them welded on. Do you think these holes have any negative effect?

Riggins, Idaho

Mine has the same holes in it, they are to access the pivot bolts for the bucket. Mine is a Riddle reverse bucket and it is still hard to back off of beaches and the trailer, they lift the rear of the boat placing more pressure on the bow. I tried welding extension plates on to divert more water but then I couldn't get it into reverse until I was almost stopped in the water so I cut them off.
    The reverse bucket does make a great brake while at speed and I have used it a few times to get me out of trouble.
    I just live with its shortcomings and run my boat that way.
    Good luck.

We took the bucket with extensions off after the first season and installed a new bucket. The extensions drag too often and wore out the pivot bushings immediately. Emergency stopping might be a little less but not having to rebuild the bucket and install new bushings every year is much better than having the extensions.