Thread: upper chena report

Default upper chena report

hit the river today and had it to myself. As I was casting I couldn't help but notice the rust flying off my fly rod and reel...go figure its been a while. No bug activity on the water so I had to chase them subsurface. The standard nymphs were producing bites...prince, flash back hares ear, lightening bug etc etc.

The water was pushing pretty fast so I had to add a significant amount of shot to get to the bottom. These fish were anchored so the occasional snag on the bottom was a good indicator of the right about of split shot. With that said, it was more along the lines of a "chuck & duck" cast but whatever brings fish to hand.

Highsticking was effective in certain areas but I was also getting some hits on the swing. I probably could of given more fish a sore lip but I kept watching the ducks buzz right over my head .

Overall it was a great day on the water. Weather was cool enough with the breeze that the skeeters weren't out in force. Get out and enjoy this weather while we have it.

Richie

Thanks for the report I am looking forward to getting out to the upper Chena here real soon. I will be sure to report back when I do.

how far up did you get too and still find fish?

I was fishing around the 40 mile marker. Not a lot of bug activity for the fish to be looking up but I imagine that'll be changing as the weather warms up.

if you can get the fly down far enough in the water column then you should be finding fish.

I spotted a couple fish in the flat sections of the river but majority of the fish I saw were hanging out in the deeper pools and at the tail end of several runs.

Good luck and let us know how you do

Richie

Thanks for the report also!

Default water looks low in town

Hows the water level in the upper Chena? I can't remember it being so low as this spring. Any new fishing reports?

I always use this site to check the water levels in the upper area
    http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydro...ew=1,1,1,1,1,1

Last time I was up it was not low and if anything was higher then usual for the spots I was in. However saying that I did not get out until early June last year so I don't have a reference for where it should be at this time of year.

Heading out that way on Sunday so I'll report back after that.

Default at about 48 mile

went out for a short overnight at the west fork bridge at 48 mile gravel bar. Did not see or catch anything. Water is fairly low and clear. Had my 4 yr old grandson along so stopped at 45 mile pond. The little grayling were literaly jumping out of the water around noon on Sunday. They were also squirting eggs out like crazy. Caught 6 or so on the fly rod and let the kid reel the fish in. It was a blast.

Anybody else out this weekend?

Default Not me....

a friend of mine went out and caught a few grayling on the upper chena and posted the pics on FB. Looks like they caught them on dry flies and also using small spinner lures. Looked like healthy and quite a few caught.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

fished around mile 38 yesterday and brought 12 fish to hand in a short amount of time. When the sun was out the fish were looking up and griffins gnat #16 was on the menu. All fish were in the 15" range with one pushing 17". The color was amazing on all fish ranging from a bronze to a blueish/red.

For some reason after the Z-71 ran through the river the fishing started to slow down.

Richie

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    fished around mile 38 yesterday and brought 12 fish to hand in a short amount of time. When the sun was out the fish were looking up and griffins gnat #16 was on the menu. All fish were in the 15" range with one pushing 17". The color was amazing on all fish ranging from a bronze to a blueish/red.

For some reason after the Z-71 ran through the river the fishing started to slow down.

Richie
    Thats the story I have been hearing, I may have to go investigate myself, great report, thanks

the guy in the truck...what a jack-a-lope
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default 3 June Midnight Trip

Fished 49/50 mile region from 2200 to 0300 Thursday night/Friday morning (tiring but fun...thank you Red Bull). Caught a few on Griffiths Gnats but the majority were landed on larger bodied red or black beadhead nymphs. Worked two miles of river and hit probably 20 nice holes. Water is still very low and very clear. Even with the low light we had no trouble spotting fish and sending a fly their way. I caught 18 fish and my partner caught 20...some beautiful blue/red/orange variations on the dorsal fins. No real monsters but several pushing 17 inches. Good luck this weekend...the fish are definitely there!

AF EOD

17 on the upper chena is a dang nice fish! Thanks for the report....

I dont typically fish through the nite mostly early morning, and it seems the nicer it is the better the griffiths works, over cast days it still works well...nite time I have no clue I'm sleeping LOL I do know I end up switching to a caddis on the colder darker days at times and it will save the day...dunno if they have a hard time seeing the griffiths over a troth style caddis.