Thread: Carcass ?

Default Carcass ?

I was just thinking today when looking for a spot for my stand, what do you guys do with the carcass when you shoot a bear over your bait.

Say you drop one close to the barrel and its a pretty large bear, maybe too big to drag out. Do you leave it there, haul out the whole thing, bury it?

I was just thinking that it might attract a brown bear or deter more black bears from coming in, I don't know. Just wondering what you all do? I'd hate to have a good stand and ruin it after only one bear cause I left a carcass there, but I'd also hate to have to haul a 6 1/2 footer out whole by my lonesome.

I eat the bear so I take it home, usually whole. I bring a sled in and pull it out.

I have to walk into my stand-- I don't own a wheeler. I use a dolly to take heavy stuff in and out. I leave the dolly in my truck or at the stand while I sit. If a bear goes down, I put him on the dolly and wheel him out. Spring blackies are too yummy to leave at the stand for other critters.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i eat them... the 6 footer last fall all skinned and gutted was maybe 100 lbs of carcass left it all went into a large game bag and over my shoulder
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you can drag it a bit, do so, and gut it. We leave many a gut piles and never had a problem. Bears will still come in. No browns in our area, not that we have seen anyways. PWS bait had no browns. Black bears will eat the gut piles just the same.

Skin the bear, put the whole carcass in a game bag. They fold up into the fetal possition pretty well. Strap to a back pack frame and you're off! After June 1st you don't have to keep the meat. But just as good May 31st! Later, June bears will start to be rubbed pretty bad. So just a meat hunt for us. Sled works pretty too haul out, if you have a good trail. Otherwise to much hassle. Definately nicer with two guys. We left two piles near the bait last year, 3rd bear was still shot. Left that pile right at the barrels. We were done hunting though, no body else lined up to shoot. When we cleaned out the bait though a week later, it was gone too.

I gut mine a few yards from the bait and then drag the bear out whole with a sled. Some years the gut piles arent even touched and other years they are gone the next day. Just drag it far enough away from the bait so you dont have to smell it rotting the rest of the season.

I was speking of the gut pile to drag a few yards away, I eat the bears I shoot.

Default Carcass

I personally salvage all edible meat from the black bears i take but i usually just leave the gut pile where it lies. I have never had a problem with doing that in regards to possibly scaring future bears off my station.

Left a carcass(after salvaging the meat) at my site last year and checked it two days later, nothing left but the bones. Something munched it up in a short notice. I just left it about 15 yards away from my barrel(basically where it died), I was done hunting after that so dont know if that had any negative effects on the hunting.

Until June 1, meat salvage is required. So no matter how big the bear, how small or weak you are, you still have no choice- bring the meat out. "Leaving the carcass" is not an option. I haven't seen a bad tasting black bear even at the end of season, so bringing the meat home is worth every drop of sweat. The gut pile stays where it lays. Its quite small, unlike a moose which has four stomachs with a very large rumen. I also take the heart and liver, so theres very little left. Usually its gone in a few days.