Thread: New to me 1983 Old Town 17 footer question

Default New to me 1983 Old Town 17 footer question

Just picked up a 17 ft Old Town canoe, green, HIN ID'd it as bing a 1983 model. the ends are worn from beaching, dragging it. looks like very thin fiberglass w/ foam. Is this how fiberglass canoes are? I've repaired glass kayaks before but the glass on this one looks super thin. Another question, what kinds of materials did Old Town use back then? What the heck is Royalex? Anyways I plan on beefing up the both ends w/ a glass repair kit from Lowes.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks Billy

Quote Originally Posted by billy jack View Post
    Just picked up a 17 ft Old Town canoe, green, HIN ID'd it as bing a 1983 model. the ends are worn from beaching, dragging it. looks like very thin fiberglass w/ foam. Is this how fiberglass canoes are? I've repaired glass kayaks before but the glass on this one looks super thin. Another question, what kinds of materials did Old Town use back then? What the heck is Royalex? Anyways I plan on beefing up the both ends w/ a glass repair kit from Lowes.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks Billy

could possibly be kevelar.....as there was an explosion of the stuff's popularity back then. You need to give me some info and a picture and we can go from there. I have many PDF files of retired old town canoes. (i used to work for em). you haven't listed enough usable info.

Well maybe this will help, HIN # XTC46936M93E
    No other markings. I ran the numbers on Google and found out thru a Canadian boating forum that the three letter prefix XTC is Old Town.
    It's cream color inside, green outside, has black plastic seats and trim and has a nice oak yoke and thwart. No pics yet. The ground down ends have a yellow looking foam core. Hope this helps. Thanks