Thread: My Kifaru stove may take 12 weeks to be delivered!?

Default My Kifaru stove may take 12 weeks to be delivered!?

Has anybody had any real world delivery times when purchasing directly from Kifaru? I may just call and beg them to get it out to me as soon as possible. WOW! somebody just passed by my street with with so much stereo bass that it is rattling my windows and the things on my table Random.....I know.

I can't wait to get out of Anchorage, this is going to be a great summer

Default kifaru

I got my 8man, large stove originally after 7 weeks. Afterwards I also ordered liner and other stuff and they came in 6 weeks. Really like their tipi, light weight, 2 doors, a lot of space for 2+gear. Gonna put my gear into another test in Alaska soon

Default In the past....

Kifaru is a small operation. The one person who makes a part or sews the liners goes on a vacation and your delivery date will be pushed back. Two years ago their guy for stitching the tents had to spend a few months away and they got behind on my tent.

Month wait here for a Longhunter a few years back. I think they told me 5-6 weeks.

Cool

My brother in law ordered some stove pipe and a couple adaptors from a chimney place and received it in alittle more then two weeks.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 05-17-2012 at 06:29.

kifaru just said they'd ship the stove to me TODAY These guys rock!

Good for you Mainer!!! Soon you'll be doing what I did last night and firing my large Kifaru stove up for the first time and get it looking like this:

Looks like the first burn. 'Bout time. Hows the jack placement?

Fajitas. Life is good with a wood burner.

I should add that when I decided I wanted a warming tray and snow platform a couple days before a Arctic to Indian traverse the gang at Kifaru got it out to me in a day. Good group of folks there.

guys, you've got good taste. If you look back a bit, I've always been an advocate of a tent having a good woodstove. these things will burn anything, and I only need one to warm me up before I get out of the sleeping bag and warm up some coffee. and at 4lbs.....you won't even notice it's there. I'm getting an assualt outfitter 4 modified by "tent n tarp" as soon as they both get here. rainfly and tent body will have rainflap too.....for when the stove isnt being used. This is Alaska......it doesnt hurt to have a little "warm me up" tin can in the tent.

Assault outfitter 4 (4 man, 4 season tent)
    **thanks Brian Richardson for leading me to the best tent for the money*
    13 lbs

and a kifaru medium
    4lbs

anything, anytime.........for two people. simple as that.

little over $630 for this combo, we'll see how she holds up.........

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Looks like the first burn. 'Bout time. Hows the jack placement?

Fajitas. Life is good with a wood burner.

I should add that when I decided I wanted a warming tray and snow platform a couple days before a Arctic to Indian traverse the gang at Kifaru got it out to me in a day. Good group of folks there.

Whitepalm, I know I'm a bit of a slacker when it came to the first burn but its ready to rock now!!!

Stove jackplacement was perfect, nice and tight to the front tent support pole so sq ftage lost was minimal. How do you like the warming try and the snow platform?? Worth while upgrades??

Mainer,

Your tent sounds quite interesting. Got a link or pics if not be sure to get some posted up when you put yours in business. Having a stove is way nice. Too bad a lot of my backpacking is above treeline.

Thumbs up

Mainer I would be very interested in seeing that set up also. Sounds pretty comfy

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Whitepalm, I know I'm a bit of a slacker when it came to the first burn but its ready to rock now!!!

Stove jackplacement was perfect, nice and tight to the front tent support pole so sq ftage lost was minimal. How do you like the warming try and the snow platform?? Worth while upgrades??

Too bad a lot of my backpacking is above treeline.
    So much to do, so little time. Glad to hear the placement works. Seems there is always something on the warming tray so to me its worth it and you need some sort of platform for use on snow, whether it is Kifaru or home made is up to you, chopped wood would work. I've yet to carry the stove kit on my back, likely wont, it usually rides in the pulk or boat so the extra ounces dont hurt. It's tarp season now

Default Pics on the way, prob. tomorow.........

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Mainer I would be very interested in seeing that set up also. Sounds pretty comfy

........ as I just finnished the last of the custom work with a taylor. I was the first person to ever bring a tent into his shop, in both he and his wife's 38 years of sewing in Korea and Alaska We were both determined to make this happen and we worked together making sure the design was both precise, and proper. Towards the end of it he said in broken English "Lotta work, you keep secret." I think he was affraid that word would spread about this tent mod and he would have to do more of the darned things. So unfortunately......I won't be able to pass this info to other forum members but he will do work for me whenever so that is good. He quoted me $100 for the work.....I gave him $125 because he custom made rainflaps to my specs and used a ton of his own velcro for both the main tent body, and vestibule. The rainflaps were constructed out of Arctic Oven Vestibule remenants. He double stiched everything as per my specs. I bought the remenants, and the two stove jacks from tent n tarp for $70 and they weren't able to do the work for me due to a two week wait time, and I will be gone by then. Since the kifaru is a 3.5" diameter stove pipe, I had to cut out the 3 in. stove jack to a slightly larger diameter. So I essentially have a 4-man/4 season tent/w bathtub floor and a Kifaru stove for $798 dollars. The final weight is 17.5 lbs (stove and tent). We'll see how this "rivah tent" holds up after an entire season of river trips, starting with a 9-12 day trip on the Yukon in 9 days. I like being unique, and it sure does feel good when one of your custom ideas goes from the drawing book, to a real working prototype. I found the warming tray and tundra pan to be useless purchases because I surely won't be cooking in my tent, only some hot coffee in the morning. I did though.....take some flame retardant cloth(nomex) from an old machine gunner's mask and made a ground cloth to protect that nice thick bath tub floor from sparks. If anybody is interested in this modification/tent package........it's called "Mainer_in_Ak's Rivah Tent". Just want to keep that clear before a trend ensues.