Thread: Knives, saws etc?

Default Knives, saws etc?

Well, I picked up a Havalon knife and really like it! Since we always did the skinning and butchering at home and not the field I have never needed bone saws etc. for field dressing. I thought I would create a thread for you folks to suggest your favorite steel for doing the work after the critter is down. What knives, saws etc. you consider "must haves" for working on big critters like bear, moose etc.

Any additional skinning or cleaning tips would be appreciated. I skinned a pile of critters over the years but never in the field. I had one guy tell me to skin the left and right sides with the critter on its back. Then, kinda use hide as a rug to keep the meat from getting dirty. There is a ton of knowledge on here so fire away.

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    Well, I picked up a Havalon knife and really like it! Since we always did the skinning and butchering at home and not the field I have never needed bone saws etc. for field dressing. I thought I would create a thread for you folks to suggest your favorite steel for doing the work after the critter is down. What knives, saws etc. you consider "must haves" for working on big critters like bear, moose etc.

Any additional skinning or cleaning tips would be appreciated. I skinned a pile of critters over the years but never in the field. I had one guy tell me to skin the left and right sides with the critter on its back. Then, kinda use hide as a rug to keep the meat from getting dirty. There is a ton of knowledge on here so fire away.
    Im a minimalistic kind of guy, and try to pack as light as possible. I take my havalon, and on of those little survival saws. Its nothing but sprial wire with key chain rings on either end. It goes through bone pretty well. Really light, uber compact, perfect companion to the piranta IMO for those of you interested in saving weight.

This is what im using..
    http://www.adventuresurvivalequipmen...ocket-saw.html

5$, use it, thrash it, toss it (when you get back to civilization).

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Im a minimalistic kind of guy, and try to pack as light as possible. I take my havalon, and on of those little survival saws. Its nothing but sprial wire with key chain rings on either end. It goes through bone pretty well. Really light, uber compact, perfect companion to the piranta IMO for those of you interested in saving weight.

This is what im using..
    http://www.adventuresurvivalequipmen...ocket-saw.html

5$, use it, thrash it, toss it (when you get back to civilization).
    I actually thought about and looked at them but wasn't sure how well they held up. The thought of added a saw to my gear list doesn't thrill me to much.

I'm a minimalist as well. This is where I get my wire saws from: http://www.bestglide.com/Wire_Saw_Info.html I can't say it ever occurred to me to use it for skinning, but I don't see why it couldn't. Some cheesy ones seem like they'd break if you pull too hard. Some brands are better than others.

As far as knives go, I've had my eyes on a 2.5" benchmade knife, model 211 or something. Seems like it'd be enough for deer, but I don't know about anything bigger. For sharpening I was thinking of swapping my diamond sharpener for a Sterling brand pocket one. Every ounce shaved in the pack seems to make the trip more fun...
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I'm a minimalist as well. This is where I get my wire saws from: http://www.bestglide.com/Wire_Saw_Info.html I can't say it ever occurred to me to use it for skinning, but I don't see why it couldn't. Some cheesy ones seem like they'd break if you pull too hard. Some brands are better than others.

As far as knives go, I've had my eyes on a 2.5" benchmade knife, model 211 or something. Seems like it'd be enough for deer, but I don't know about anything bigger. For sharpening I was thinking of swapping my diamond sharpener for a Sterling brand pocket one. Every ounce shaved in the pack seems to make the trip more fun...
    Thanks for the suggestion on the saw. I'll have to order a couple. I like the idea of going light as possible.

As far as knives go I have a pile of Boker's and I really like them but, based on a couple of posts here, I bought a Havalon. From what I read a lot of guys use them on bear and they supposedly work great. Hopefully I will have a chance to test that out this week on a blackie.

The thought of added a saw to my gear list doesn't thrill me to much.
    Thanks for the suggestion on the saw. I'll have to order a couple. I like the idea of going light as possible.
    Man ya changed your mind fast Those little saws are kind handy at times though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Man ya changed your mind fast Those little saws are kind handy at times though.
    Not really Adding a fixed blade saw doesn't thrill me.. One of these small rope saws will certainly work.

Last year I was going to swap from my folding Gerber Saw to one of the finger saws. When I killed my Caribou I tried to use the wire saw to remove the antlers form the skull, after several minutes of considerable effort, my finger were so cramped that I could no longer hold the saw and it was not getting anywhere fast. I ditched the wire saw and got out the Gerber and was done quick.

No more finger saws for me.

Good Luck

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Last year I was going to swap from my folding Gerber Saw to one of the finger saws. When I killed my Caribou I tried to use the wire saw to remove the antlers form the skull, after several minutes of considerable effort, my finger were so cramped that I could no longer hold the saw and it was not getting anywhere fast. I ditched the wire saw and got out the Gerber and was done quick.

No more finger saws for me.

Good Luck

Steve
    Never thought of that. Did the wire saw you were using cut well enough? I wonder if there is a big difference in the quality of wire saws as far as cutting ability?

I tried 2 different ones. The fat and membrane just really gummed up the cutting surface.
    They work Okay on wood.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I tried 2 different ones. The fat and membrane just really gummed up the cutting surface.
    They work Okay on wood.

Steve
    I am going to take both for a couple of trips and see what happens. Thanks!

I am going to take both for a couple of trips and see what happens. Thanks!
    Good plan!!