Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .300 Win Mag Rifle to buy?

Default Which .300 Win Mag Rifle to buy?

Howdy all, I'm going to purchase a .300 Win Mag. It must be stainless/synthetic. The Kimber Montanna is sweet but pricey. I'm looking for opinions on other makes and models. What are your thoughts? Weight and price are factors.

Default 300wsm

Go get a tikka t3 in .300 wsm. You won't regret it. Very fine rifle, shoots incredible groups and is super light. My 12 year old daughter shoots it, so the recoil isn't bad at all.

Thumbs up No ultimate rifle

The Ultimate .300 win Mag.is in the mind of the beholder. I have a fired all forms of rifles from all manufactures in my 33 yrs in a gun shop. The Savage Weather Warrior is the least expensive and seems to function well although it seems to get a bad rap (its like owning a Dodge car its ok but don't let your friends know you got one).You cab buy a Browning (Abolt,BAR, BLR). Benelli R-1 with the new interchangable barrels and 50% less recoil is an interesting concept ( they just don't make it in the big calibers yet, but 300 win mag is). My suggestion is find some friends and shoot theirs and compare, check out the different bells and whistles. Brakes , stocks (cheek weld and comb height matter) add the type of sights you are partial too and it all makes a significant difference in your choice. Don't be afraid to shoot a rifle in a caliber not of your choice just consider the style and configurations of various rifles,A blue rifle shoots the same as it's SS counterpart. Buy the rifle you like not the one someone wants you to own. It is a very good caliber though.

If budget is an issue, no one has mentioned the Savage line yet. Definitely utilitarian, but man do they shoot. Super reliable, too.

Thumbs up Second the Tikka

I love my Tikka 270 WSM. For the price you can't beat it. I took it sheep hunting and beat the living hell out of it. I even fell down some boulder slides and it fell off my pack. I was worried but when the oppertunity came up, it was still zeroed perfectly. Weight wise you can't beat it either. I also looked at the Kimber, but the Tikka just felt better to me.

Thumbs up 3 win mag

pathfinder81;

i would look at a sako or remington 700 mtn. rifle or titanium. not sure if the titanium is out yet in that caliber. it is coming if not already out. the titanium is a lot of gun for the money.
    Cold Zero
    Member: S.C.I., N.R.A. Life Endowment Member & L.E. Tactical Firearms Instr.

**For Private contact email me, P.M. usually full.*

Default Tikka is best value

Yes the Tikka T3 Lite is the best rifle for the money. While some fault it for all the high tech plastic and the pricey magazine, it is probably the most fool proof rifle out of the box. Everyone I have had was a shooter at one inch groups. Either the 300WM or 300WSM would serve you well.
    I do have a Kimber Montana in 300WM - I like the Model 70 features and was willing to shop around a bit. Good luck.

Thumbs up Kimber Montana

Save your $ and get the rifle you want which is the Kimber. I just bought one after a year of saving, its worth every penny once you have it in your hands. You will not have any regrets.
    Pick A Spot

ruger is a good one. sportsmans had them for $90 off any ruger rifle a little while back. Not sure if it is still on or not. Chimo's in wasilla sells them for $595 with a scope, simmons 3x9x40. Nice set up i have one and my dad has one. One hole groups at 100 yards shooting from a bench buy with the gun on my shoulder, no vise. I did put a leupold scope on there but the other one after nine years was still fine. Just not as bright, but killed 3 bou and one blackie with it. For the price can't beat it i don't think. Know a lot of people who have them. But get what you want. Take your time looking it will come to you.

Default .300 Mag

If you have a .30-06 already or similiar caliber, a .300 is not much of an upgrade. It is an execllent round, but a .338 would be better for Alaska. A Brownin Stainless Stalker is an outstanding gifle, and tough. I own 3 currently and they are all extremely rugged and reliable.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Same boat

I am in pretty much the same boat. I have been up here 4 months now and have been searching everywhere for the perfect rifle for alaska. I was convinced for a while that the 325 WSM was what I needed, but after several months of bothering the gun shops around here and talking to owners of multiple rifles and calibers I think I am almost there and have decided against the 325. Instead I have decided on the tried and true .338 and have narrowed it down to either the Ruger Stainless/laminate rifle or the Tikka. They are both in the same price range, however I am leaning to the Ruger at this point. The Tikka just feals too much like a toy to me and the plastic clip really turned me off. It just looks like it would be prone to break if you dropped it in really cold temps. I have heard it shoots good right out of the box though.
    US Air Force and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thumbs up

For what its worth I have been hunting with a Rugar .300 Win Mag for years and have taken several moose, bear and deer with it. For larger game I use the P300WT3 180 grain from Federal and I have never had any regrets over the decision. I would recommend a muzzel break, I have found it improves accuracy. Good Luck!

I have a stainless winchester 70 classic in 300 win mag w/boss. I have the boss CR on it and recoil isn't a problem. Topped with a 3-9 or 4-12 scope and you have a very good all around big game rifle. A good 180 or 200 gr bullet will kill everything you might be after up here. It might be a little light for a dedicated brown bear rifle but will work in a pinch.

If you can find a winchester classic I would go that route if not a ruger or remington 700 are both nice rifles also. Maybe the new Ruger Hawkeye would be a good choice.

They're all nice, Tikka T3, Rem, Rug, but I love my A-Bolt stainless stalker in .300. Very nice weapon IMO.

I just went through the same selection process. Finalists were Rem 700, Ruger Mark II, and Tikka T3. I picked Tikka T3. You can't go wrong with any of these. Tika was lighter with guaranted out of the box accuracy.

Go look at a bunch of different brands and models. Rifles are like blue jeans, one size doesn't fit everyone. Close your eyes and bring it to your shoulder. Feel the balance. Rest your cheekbone on the stock like you're about to shoot. Open your eyes. If you're aligned correctly and your eye looks right down the sights, it fits. When you find the right rifle, you'll know.

Thumbs up T-3

I own a Tikka T-3 in 30-06 and absolutely love it. I looked at Ruger, Weatherby (Vanguard), and Remington before I made my decision and I have no regrets. I was a little concerned about the magazine, but in 3 years I've never had a problem. This gun has taken an Alaskan beating and still looks and shoots as good as the day I bought it. Smoothest bolt action, lightest weight, unmatched out of the box accuracy, and best value helped me make my decision.

Shannon

Thumbs up Right ON

Mr. Pid is correct. As I said choose the gun that fits you not the gun everyone wants you to own. Just because you like the looks doesn't mean the rifle can become an extension of your being. But life is short and nice rifles make it more pleasant.

Thumbs up 300 Win Mag

I personally believe the Ruger 77 Stainless sysnthetic is hard to beat for the price and reliability. I have never seen one break in almost ten years of guiding and know other guides that have backed clients with them and they all say the same thing. Of course Winchester Model 70 are hard to beat but they aren't being made new right now.

Default browning BLR

How about the browning BLR stainless synthetic 300 winmag?? I believe you can get that in a takedown too. It's Lightwieght and offers a quick follow-up with that slick action..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast