Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: 7mm Rem Mag

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    39

    Default 7mm Rem Mag

    So, I've been looking around the site for quite a while now and I've seen lots of talk of .300, 30.06, .338, and .375. What're people's thoughts on the 7mm for AK big game?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    It can work but is somewhat limited to lighter weight bullets. I think a lot comes down to versatility, why use a 7mm mag when you can use a 300 Win Mag? At least that is how I see it.
    Much depends on where you live I guess. The few 7 mm mags I run into on trades were a nightmare when it came time to try and sell them.
    Tennessee

  3. #3

    Default

    There are lots of past threads on the caliber, including pro and con. Folks seem pretty well split down the middle, a lot depending on prior experience. I'm a sincere fan, but I've been shooting it since the round first appeared in the 1960's. It's more than a 30-06 in my mind, but less than a 300. If I already owned a 300, I probably wouldn't buy one. If I had a 7, would I sell it to buy a 300? Probably not. But if I already owned a 7, I'd probably skip the 300 altogether and buy something bigger. The 7 will certainly do a good job on anything up through elk and moose, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on interior grizzly. Coastal browns? Heck, I wouldn't even use a 300 for one.

    But opinions are like belly buttons. Most everyone has one. You got two now, and I'm sure more will follow. While you're waiting, use the search function and check out past threads. You'll recognize names and belly buttons...er, opinions.... you see there.

  4. #4

    Default

    They work fine. I have a friend which I have hunted with for over twenty years. He uses the same 7mm mag year after year. I have seen him shoot several moose and a smaller interior grizzly bear with it. All one shot kills. I personally wouldn't use it for brown bear. The recoil seems pretty mild. I think its a great cartridge for caribou, deer, sheep, goats and moose.

    Maybe its an american thing, but I just like 30 caliber cartridges better.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Maybe its an american thing, but I just like 30 caliber cartridges better.
    That's a real astute mouthful Sean!!!! There's a whole lot of that going on in choosing a 7 or 30. My son-in-law is as big a fan of the 300 as I am the 7. No shot on game has ever proven either of us wrong.

    Like I said, I don't see enough difference between them to justify owning both. If a 7 is too small for a job, in my opinion a 300 is too small, too. I go 338 or 375 for jobs that are too big for a 7.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    I went with the 7 Mag. because the recoil is less than with a 300 Mag. Why would I punish myself? I've always had the idea that 300 Mags. were more powerful than needed for most game.

    Besides that, I like 7mm Caliber.

    I don't use the lighter bullets. I use 160 grain Nosler PTs in 7 Mag.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  7. #7

    Default

    There has been 2 brand new Winchester model 70's in 7mm mag sitting on the rack at the local gun shop for over two years. They are the long barreled push feed models with black synthetic stocks. One has brand new Leupold rings and bases and a price tag of $375. I'm probably the only one that has touched it in the 2 years and thats because when I get bored I go down the line with a Rem Oil rag and wipe them all down.

    Several years ago they were the rage of the age around the midwest for open country whitetail but now nobody wants them. I don't get it.

    I would think they would be perfect for anything in Alaska but the big bears.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    There has been 2 brand new Winchester model 70's in 7mm mag sitting on the rack at the local gun shop for over two years. They are the long barreled push feed models with black synthetic stocks. One has brand new Leupold rings and bases and a price tag of $375. I'm probably the only one that has touched it in the 2 years and thats because when I get bored I go down the line with a Rem Oil rag and wipe them all down.

    Several years ago they were the rage of the age around the midwest for open country whitetail but now nobody wants them. I don't get it.

    I would think they would be perfect for anything in Alaska but the big bears.
    I think it's like that up here in the Greatland.

    Everyone wants a 300 Mag. or 338, or 375, and 7mm Mags. aren't so popular with most people.

    That makes them great buys IMO.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  9. #9
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,056

    Default

    An aquaintance of mine has used one for many years with perfect success. He's a good shot and a patient hunter so I'm guessing the results would have been the same with any of dozens of cartridges.

    I think you used to run into them more than you do now for some reason or another- quite likely the writings of Warren Page as much as anything else. I knew a lot of people who talked the 7mag up several years ago but it seems a lot of them are talking about something else or another now. Hmmm...the .280 was kind of the same way come to think of it.

    I've toyed with the thought of one off and on but a .300 mag does make it somewhat superfluous... but paired up with a .338 you could sure cover a lot of ground, although most guys with the .338 seem to skip everything else and just go with it.

    If I were going to mess around with a 7mm, I'd make it a 7x57 though.

  10. #10
    Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Palmer,Alaska
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    I have spent a lot of trigger time with the 7mm Remington mag. I don't own one but I do have a couple of 7X57mm, that I really like not only to shoot but to load for. Yes the 7X57 does not have the recoil of the 7mm Mag, but I've got to tell you stock design and weight has a lot to do with that. I have one 7X57 made at the turn of the last century in England that will flat wake you up. I gave this rifle to my wife years ago because it is so light weight, she hates the rifle due to recoil. I can't say I blame her one little bit. It is truly a beautiful rifle and is a delight to look at. If I could only afford one rifle for everything it would be the .375H&H, it will do everything and will not hurt you. Controlled feed is the name of the game for a keeper. No rifle of any make should be able to give you and excuse of why you didn't make meat.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

  11. #11
    Member Yukoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Whitehorse Yukon
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    I am a big fan of the .284 cal. The 7mmRM is a fantastic round. I have a Tikka T3LiteSS that has been my sheep hunting rifle for a few years now, and I love it for the fact(s) that its light, reaches right out there, and with 160-175 Gr ammo, I don't feel under-gunned when walking out with the fruits of my labour. Generally, I'll hunt with something 139-140 grain-ish (sheep), and in the other clip will be something 160-175 grain-ish, just in case I meet up with something that has taken a shine to me. As others have said, Its not a coastal brown bear caliber, but for the interior bears, I don't feel inadequate with it, assuming I would ever have time to get a shot off if it came down to it.
    Having said all that, I'm putting a Lone Wolf Summit XL on my Rem 700 LSS in .280R, and thats going to be my sheep rig. With the right loads, the .280 is pretty durn close to the 7mmRM, without the sharp recoil which is a hallmark of the 7mmRM. If you find good deal on a 7mmRM, get it, it'll knock down any moose you choose.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

  12. #12

    Default

    I hunted with a 7RM for quite a few years and it served me very well. My go to load was 160 partitions and all my kills were one shot including a very large bull elk that I guess went about 900 lbs... maybe bigger, he real big in body. Nice rack too.

    Having said that, after I burned the barrel out, I stepped up to a 300 WSM. It has a little more thump and makes a little bigger hole and doesn't kick much harder. if i were to go back to hunting with a 7RM I would shoot 150 E-Tips through it. In my estimation, the way they expand will cause about as much damage as a lead core bullet coming out of a 30 cal rifle.

  13. #13
    Member Nukalpiaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southwest Alaska
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Used to own a Win 70 Classic SS 7mmRM, used it to kill a few caribou. One of my buddies talked me into selling it to him. He killed both moose and caribou with his new rifle. He stills carries it on his hunting trips. Grew up hunting big game with my uncle, he carried a 7mmRM on most of our hunts for moose, caribou and even walrus. One time on a moose hunt he shot a moose, it was a long shot especially for open sights and when the moose fell over on the first shot he let out a loud yeehaw of victory. Back in those days we never used scopes on our rifles. My grandpa didnt like the caliber though, he preferred his 30'06 for big game. I have both the 7mm WSM and 7mm RSAUM. Haven't even shot them yet.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Thanks for all the input fellas! I checked out the threads on caliber choice and there didn't seem to be much talk of the 7mm.

  15. #15

    Default 7mm

    Great round. As others have written, good for the less dangerous game. I think a 175 g. partition is nothing to sneeze at. Probably really deserves two, the 7mm and a 338-06/35 Whelen. Then you would be covered for both the mountains and the valleys.

  16. #16
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    ... If I already owned a 300, I probably wouldn't buy one. If I had a 7, would I sell it to buy a 300? Probably not. But if I already owned a 7, I'd probably skip the 300 altogether and buy something bigger. ...
    Brownbear, but what if you already owned a 7, and a cousin gave you a 300, but the cousin's lender had a secured interest in the 300 which could allow the lender to foreclose on the 300 and seize it if the cousin did not fully and timely repay his loan under its terms in the future, assuming the cousin presently is current on his payments, and also, at the time the cousin gave you a the rifle, you offered him a beer or some other consideration in return, and you were unaware of the secured interest, possibly giving rise to a bona fide purchaser defense, which might allow you to defeat a potential foreclosure attempt by the lender if the cousin lost his job or otherwise fell behind on his loan? What would you do then?

    Just kidding!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Brownbear, but what if you already owned a 7, and a cousin gave you a 300, but the cousin's lender had a secured interest in the 300 which could allow the lender to foreclose on the 300 and seize it if the cousin did not fully and timely repay his loan under its terms in the future, assuming the cousin presently is current on his payments, and also, at the time the cousin gave you a the rifle, you offered him a beer or some other consideration in return, and you were unaware of the secured interest, possibly giving rise to a bona fide purchaser defense, which might allow you to defeat a potential foreclosure attempt by the lender if the cousin lost his job or otherwise fell behind on his loan? What would you do then?

    Just kidding!
    Boy, right up till the last line you had me convinced you were a lawyer!

    Right now I've got a bad Jones for a 340 Weatherby to "go with" my 7mag. No sense for it, but who said gun nuts had any sense?

    Without contributing a single stinking thing to this conversation, I have to add an interesting observation. By coincidence two of my closest friends spent time "working" with high precision rifles and long range shooting in Vietnam in the late 60's/early 70's. One shot an 06 and the other shot a 300. When I had the rare privilege of listening in on their professional evaluation of the two cartridges, I learned that the 06 recorded the longest confirmed kill by close to 200 meters.

    Followup on that, the 06 shooter is still a hunter, and his favorite round is the 7mm Rem Mag. Though he was an avid hunter before, when the 300 shooter got home he sold all his guns and has never touched on since. Sad.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Boy, right up till the last line you had me convinced you were a lawyer!

    Right now I've got a bad Jones for a 340 Weatherby to "go with" my 7mag. No sense for it, but who said gun nuts had any sense?

    Without contributing a single stinking thing to this conversation, I have to add an interesting observation. By coincidence two of my closest friends spent time "working" with high precision rifles and long range shooting in Vietnam in the late 60's/early 70's. One shot an 06 and the other shot a 300. When I had the rare privilege of listening in on their professional evaluation of the two cartridges, I learned that the 06 recorded the longest confirmed kill by close to 200 meters.

    Followup on that, the 06 shooter is still a hunter, and his favorite round is the 7mm Rem Mag. Though he was an avid hunter before, when the 300 shooter got home he sold all his guns and has never touched on since. Sad.
    Love the .340 Weatherby!!!!

    I think it and the .257 are the best of the whole Weatherby line.

    Sorry this is a 7mm thread...I am still kicking myself for not buying the 7mm Wby Mark V I saw on GB a while back that went for 500.00

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Sorry this is a 7mm thread...I am still kicking myself for not buying the 7mm Wby Mark V I saw on GB a while back that went for 500.00
    Be careful of my poor old heart..... You DID NOT need to tell me about that.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Be careful of my poor old heart..... You DID NOT need to tell me about that.
    Sorry I am still hurting over that one myself...it had the B&C Snow Camo stock on it.

    It was one of the few things on GB I passed up lol. I just didn't have the extra at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •