Thread: Need help with spin n glow rigs etc.

Question Need help with spin n glow rigs etc.

my sons and I are coming up to AK june 11-20. First to All Alaska Outdoors on the Kenia for 3 days the off to Wasilla and fish with Ray at fishermans choice (we went with Ray last year he is a fantastic guide) for 3 more days the off to Talkeetna for a drop off unguided river trip through Mahays. Most of our trips are half day events, so we want to river fish for kings the rest of the day. what size spin n glows are recomended? where are some good fishing spots? how do you rig the spin n glow? what other lures should we try. We have waders rods etc. Any help is very much appreciated!!! GREG

size 4 or 5 will do did you say the kenai?

Default Kenai OOPS!

Thanks Grouse! How do you rig them? GREG

When you're in Soldotna go to Trustworthy Hardware and they've got pre rigged spin n' glo's. Grab a bunch of colors and you're set to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin CRNA View Post
    my sons and I are coming up to AK june 11-20. First to All Alaska Outdoors on the Kenia for 3 days the off to Wasilla and fish with Ray at fishermans choice (we went with Ray last year he is a fantastic guide) for 3 more days the off to Talkeetna for a drop off unguided river trip through Mahays. Most of our trips are half day events, so we want to river fish for kings the rest of the day. what size spin n glows are recomended? where are some good fishing spots? how do you rig the spin n glow? what other lures should we try. We have waders rods etc. Any help is very much appreciated!!! GREG
    Are you going to be bank fishing? One of the best places for that is Centennial Park boat launch, but everyone knows it and it will be crowded if there are fish in the river. And if you do plan on bank fishing for kings it can be pretty difficult to catch them from the bank (on the Kenai) unless you really know what you're doing. The Kenai can run pretty hard and there aren't a lot of places you can fish from the bank and have room to fight and then land a decent sized king. People do do it, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Or do you have a boat? Rigging up a spin 'n glo is a bit different if you're fishing from the bank than if you're fishing from a boat. If you've got a boat you might want to try some K-16 Kwikfish. They are probably my favorite over a spin 'n glo. They give you a lot more action IMHO. Spin 'n glos can be great during the time when bait is legal if you use one with a big ol' gob of salmon eggs, but salmon eggs won't be legal while you are there.

You might also want to consider the Kasilof. The kings are generally a bit smaller in the Kasilof and bank fishing for them is quite common there. There is a very long bank you can fish from at the state run Crooked Creek Campground. It's one of my favorite places to bank fish for kings when I can't get out on the salt.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    size 4 or 5 will do did you say the kenai?

4 or 5?

They come as magnum, 00, 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.

The HUGE ones are just that.... HUGE. Meant to catch the fisherman rather than the fish.

The thing you have to remember about SnG's is buoyancy. The bigger the SnG, the more buoyancy you will have to overcome.

If bank fishing, I would recommend no bigger than a #2.

In clear water a #4 or even #6 would be better.

Oh yeah... one more thing.... rig 'em hangback with an amputee for best results with bait.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default THANKS!! We will be using wadders while ...

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Are you going to be bank fishing? One of the best places for that is Centennial Park boat launch, but everyone knows it and it will be crowded if there are fish in the river. And if you do plan on bank fishing for kings it can be pretty difficult to catch them from the bank (on the Kenai) unless you really know what you're doing. The Kenai can run pretty hard and there aren't a lot of places you can fish from the bank and have room to fight and then land a decent sized king. People do do it, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Or do you have a boat? Rigging up a spin 'n glo is a bit different if you're fishing from the bank than if you're fishing from a boat. If you've got a boat you might want to try some K-16 Kwikfish. They are probably my favorite over a spin 'n glo. They give you a lot more action IMHO. Spin 'n glos can be great during the time when bait is legal if you use one with a big ol' gob of salmon eggs, but salmon eggs won't be legal while you are there.

You might also want to consider the Kasilof. The kings are generally a bit smaller in the Kasilof and bank fishing for them is quite common there. There is a very long bank you can fish from at the state run Crooked Creek Campground. It's one of my favorite places to bank fish for kings when I can't get out on the salt.
    on our own time but boats with the guides..I'm seeking this info for when we are on our own...GREG

Default Thanks !!!

We will be using wadders while on our own but boats of course while out with the guides...I'm just looking for tips for when we are on our own. GREG

Smile Hey frishin Doc

Thanks for the info what is hangback? Could you walk me through the rigging?? IE do you use swivels or tie direct? etc etc. Thank you GREG

Default OOPS!! Fishin Doc

Sorry been on call all weekend no sleep...GREG

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin CRNA View Post
    Thanks for the info what is hangback? Could you walk me through the rigging?? IE do you use swivels or tie direct? etc etc. Thank you GREG
    I've never heard of "hangback with an amputee" before so I'm not sure what the Doc is talking about. Hopefully he'll respond. When I fish the Kasilof for kings I run 50 lb. braid on my reel and then 40 lb. copolymer or fluorocarbon leader material. What I do is put one of those little sinker sliders on my main line then tie into a ball bearing swivel (and you notice I stress "ball bearing" because it will prevent line twist better than the "regular" ones), then about 24" or so of leader with the spin 'n glo on that, a "corkie" and then a size 1 treble hook. Then you just put a sinker on the slider, toss it out into the current and let it sit on the bottom until you feel a nice tug on the line. That's it. Plain and simple.

Good info guys! I've been wondering about this myself as I usually spend my time fishing reds instead of kings.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

This site offers a pretty good illustration. Good luck!

http://alaska_sport_fishing.tripod.com/rod_tackle.html

Default Hangback rig

Is a double hook rig (Octupus Hooks) tied with egg loop knots, the "amputee" is the top hook which is cut off because the Kenai is a single hook only fishery for Kings. So you cut off the top hook at the bend of the hook leaving the shank and the egg loop knot. This is where you put your gob of eggs, leaving the hang back hook to swing below the offering.

Add your favorite SPnG above the whole mess, prefferably with a small bead between the glo and the top hook and another on top of the glo to keep debris out of the hole in the glo.

At least that's how I understand the "Hangback with an amputee"

Length of leader varies depending on who you talk to but 18-24" is a good starting point. Rig them with a three way swivel and run your weight off the dropper swivel, attach with a duo snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    Is a double hook rig (Octupus Hooks) tied with egg loop knots, the "amputee" is the top hook which is cut off because the Kenai is a single hook only fishery for Kings. So you cut off the top hook at the bend of the hook leaving the shank and the egg loop knot. This is where you put your gob of eggs, leaving the hang back hook to swing below the offering.

Add your favorite SPnG above the whole mess, prefferably with a small bead between the glo and the top hook and another on top of the glo to keep debris out of the hole in the glo.

At least that's how I understand the "Hangback with an amputee"
    BINGO!

Thanks, SC.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I have had some issues with the line breaking between the two hooks. We solved by running 80 to 100 pound leaders on the Kenai. But another option is to stack beads above the hook and add a three way swivel. Run the line through two of the three holes. then you can add roe between the line and the three way swivel. I would think there has to be a better way. I don't like the thought of the fish mouthing the swivel but it doesn't seem to affect our catch rates.

Not meaning to high jack this thread but was going to post up a new thread on Spin-n-glows but figured if one was already up I would just add to it.

Are 00 to big to fish the Kenai with from the bank? Would 2s or 4s be better?

I know you can by the pre made ones but I am more of a make your own type of guy so any recommendations on hook size? I know there was mention of trebles but I was curious if any of you guys use circles for these fish?

As far a the double hook rig goes...you are basically adding two hooks behind the SpnG and cutting the first off at the shank so that you have a place to put the cluster of eggs and you leave the second hook free swimming a couple of inches behind. Is this correct?

Also, any particular color patterns on the SpnGs? Or does it really matter?

Thanks guys, I have gathered a ton of info from this forum, really a great place for a lot of quality tips and suggestions.

-SA

Not to get picky here, but he's not going to be fishing this area when bait is legal so why go to all the trouble of making "hangbacks with an amputee" if you're not using bait? Am I missing something? Seems to me just a simple spin 'n glo on a leader would be all you'd need.