Thread: Grizzly Axles

Default Grizzly Axles

Has anyone here had a problem with the rear axles coming out on their Yamaha Grizzly? Independent rear. I have an 05 660 and an 07 450 that have both had the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    Has anyone here had a problem with the rear axles coming out on their Yamaha Grizzly? Independent rear. I have an 05 660 and an 07 450 that have both had the same problem.
    I have owned a 2003 Grizzly 660 and currently have a 2007 Grizzly 700 w/EPS and a 2007 Rhino 660. I have never had an issue with axles coming out. Did you add a lift kit or any other add-ons (wider rims, aftermarket tires, etc)?
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Actually this can be an all too common problem. I had one pop out for me and I had to replace the axle as I wasn't aware of it at the time. Some people have lots of problems with it recurring and others never have it happen.

This web site has lots of information about this and any other questions you might have about your Yamaha. http://forum.highlifter.com/Yamaha-f25.aspx Lots of people use the Gorilla axles but they can still pop out. The clip on the axle has to snap into place in the differential and sometimes it jumps out of the groove allowing the axle to back out. The time that mine popped was when I was pulling a very heavy load up a rough trail and the tires were digging and slipping on rocks and roots kind of like an impact wrench and I think that allowed the axle to jump out.

Bump to the top. My friend has the same machine I have and has the same problem. We agree with contender; the first time it comes out is pulling a load uphill with the tires digging in and slipping and hopping etc. After the first time the splines are chewed up and it comes out easier due to the sping staying compressed etc.
    Anyone else out there having problems?

We've got two Grizzly 700's (an '07 and '08) and about 1200 miles on them and no problems with that. The only problem we've had was with the front end on one- it had a pin and nut come off and came apart on the trail. Easy to put back together.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

The axle problem is most common in the early 660's. Also know to happen in early 660 Rhinos. More common when aftermarket lift kits are added.

Yamaha got it right on the 700s which is a total different machine. 3,000 miles here and no axle problems other than a torn boot.

Watch your tie rod ends. Make sure your cotter pins are in place and your nuts are tight. Yes, keep your nuts tight.