Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misty Fiord Brownie Down

Default Misty Fiord Brownie Down

Thursday my son and I decided to take Fridday off and head to the Misty's for a day of steelie fishing & bear shooting, black and/or brown-didn't matter. By Thursday night two of his friends said, take me, take me. So four of us decided to go and we ended up taking the friends boat which would had a little more room.

First stop was at the north end of Revilla to drop crab potts to try to find some tanner crab we heard were in the area and to head to the steelie creek. We spent most of the morning fishing, picking up 5 steelhead and then headed to pull the potts.

They held 3 small tanner and a couple of legal dungies. We picked a new spot to drop the potts then headed out to check for bear. We ran through a few inlets not seeing anything so head out to a spot my son and I have had success in.

We got the boat anchored and hit the beach and started hiking up river to see what we could see. After glassing for awhile up the valley one of our partners turned around and glassed downwind behind us and sees a browning hiking up the beach at a fast clip. He quietly yells "there's my bear."

My son, partner and I (the fourth partner continued hiking up the river to fish for steelies) get into a low run and crouch to intersect the bear coming up wind before he smells us. We get 125 yards away, and as Mr. Brownie stopped to take a bite of grass he popped him in the shoulder and dropped immediately. The partner started jumping up and down wanting to high-five us and I tell him the bear is still moving you better shoot him again, the bear then jumps to his feet and starts twirling around biting at him self, he shoots again and the bear rolls over a log and as he hopped up again I shoot him with my 45-70 and he drops and does some moving around and then the action is over.

While the partner watches over the bear--across the too deep stream to wade, my son and I hike out to the skiff and bring it up the river as far as we can and he drops me on the bear side of the river then picks up both partners and we go check out the bear.

We had an excellent trip, good weather-which can be an oddity for us. Fantastic day out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More picts

More picts.......
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 05-08-2010 at 12:38. Reason: didn't get the attachments

More picts.......

More......

Thumbs up

Looks like you guys had a blast!nice pics and thanks for sharing the story.

Nothin' beats a good cast and blast trip!

Nice pics! That looks like a great SE AK Brown bear! Congrats!!

Beautiful bear! Congratulations!

Taylor

Awesome, looks like good times for all..

Steve

Thumbs up

It does not get much better than that. Good friends, steelies, crabs, and bears. Now that is one heck of a trip. That looks like a pretty big bear as well. What did that guy measure out at? He has a huge pumpkin head with his ears set way on the side of his head. Did F&G give you an estimated age?

Congrats on a fine outing in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    It does not get much better than that. Good friends, steelies, crabs, and bears. Now that is one heck of a trip. That looks like a pretty big bear as well. What did that guy measure out at? He has a huge pumpkin head with his ears set way on the side of his head. Did F&G give you an estimated age?

8', he didn't pull the skull last night so no measurements on that. He's taking it in on Monday to F&G.

Thumbs up

Nice looking bear and one hard to beat combination hunting, fishing, and crabbing trip! Oh yeah nice to see some sunshine for a change in your pics!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Nice looking bear and one hard to beat combination hunting, fishing, and crabbing trip! Oh yeah nice to see some sunshine for a change in your pics!
    It's been so nice lately I thought I was in Anchorage.

Default Awww Man

Awwwwww, that's a great story,

Beautiful Bear, and that Fish you got there..... got me panting for action

Thanks
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Nice Bear

Looks like a real Nice Bear. That trip is only available in ALASKA.

Default Misty

Dang Dean, that steelie got you winded? Don't get any better than that. Pic like that only in S.E.. Think that's a pic for fin & feather regs next year. Oh yea, tell the guys nice bear too.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Dang Dean, that steelie got you winded? Don't get any better than that. Pic like that only in S.E.. Think that's a pic for fin & feather regs next year. Oh yea, tell the guys nice bear too.
    Thanks a lot Al. I did have to do a little chasing up & down the river.

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post

He got the skull out at the taxi's this afternoon. The taxi measured the hide at 8'-2" and the skull at 25 5/16.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    The amazing thing Al, (as you well know can happen here) is we left the dock at 5:45 am and got back that night @ 8:00 pm.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

nice dean.......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast