Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: conversation at a traffic light about how hunting is a terrible thing

Default conversation at a traffic light about how hunting is a terrible thing

I'm posting in the bear baiting forum because this story took place on the way to the bait station.

Well my buddy and I are on the way to the stand and we're sitting at a red light. The lady next to us keeps looking at the wheelers in the back and eventually rolls down her window.

Lady: Is it hunting season already...she asks.
    Us: Yes ma'am, bear is in season and we're heading to the stand.
    Lady: Oh I just hate that. I hate to hear about people killing animals.
    Us: it actually makes for excellent tablefare
    Lady: Oh you don't eat bear. You're just killing it for its skin
    Us: several chuckles on our part and say oh yeah we eat it
    Lady: we just need to learn to live with animals. We're are just destroying the earth...

traffic light turns green

as she was driving off I couldn't help but notice all the blue smoke pouring out of her exhaust pipe.

I thought this was pretty funny and worthy of posting the story...

I cant help but recall several similar instances where someone has said something about how bad hunting is while they are flicking their cigarette butts out the windows and tossing their receipts from the store "AT" the garbage can rather than in it, throwing old oil directly in the trash bins, and yes.... smoking pieces of crap on the roadways that they do not even attempt to get repaired. Good post sir.

And to point out the obvious, people who are doing the non-green things that you are describing (litter, etc) are actually doing something wrong.

Hunters are not.

It never ceases to amaze me how people with a narrow view of the world think that it must be true because they see it that way.

They are the same people that don't know or understand that almost 60% of all hunting licenses firearms ammunition, ect. goes to preservation and conservation. We are not hurting we are helping!

Quote Originally Posted by Richie View Post
    Lady: we just need to learn to live with animals. We're are just destroying the earth...
    Wow. She might have a point, maybe if we hunted for thousands of years we might have a problem. Oh wait, we have been! Some people choose to ignore history.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

all you hunters are awful... plain and simple
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sounds like you handled it good. She might have been baiting you thinking she would get a redneck comment out of you that she could tell her friends about. Instead you gave her polite and accurate replies.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Uh huh

"... we just need to learn to live with animals ..."
    That is exactly the mindset many greenies have: animals are equal to humans, or more than equal perhaps. They imagine bears and wolves and such as being noble creatures, living in a sort of society, roaming about the land respecting one another and desperately trying to avoid the evil human being. It's an image carefully cultivated and propagated by Hollywood since the days of Bambi. They seldom stop to think how very bloody and cruel the dynamic actually is between predator and prey; nor do they take into account that mostl wild animals will probably die a painful death. That is, unless they die a humane death at the hand of a hunter.

While such a view point is common in CA and other parts of the lower 48, it is rather vexing that this mindset has hit Alaska to the extent it has.

Lady: we just need to learn to live with animals.
    "Well, I agree with you, Ma'am. I love to live with animals. Currently, I have caribou, moose, and elk living with me. They all reside comfortably in my freezer and I make a point of visiting at least one of them almost every day."

Maybe she is the one who sent me this???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

what that? a big joint?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That is exactly the mindset many greenies have: animals are equal to humans, or more than equal perhaps. They imagine bears and wolves and such as being noble creatures, living in a sort of society, roaming about the land respecting one another and desperately trying to avoid the evil human being. It's an image carefully cultivated and propagated by Hollywood since the days of Bambi. They seldom stop to think how very bloody and cruel the dynamic actually is between predator and prey; nor do they take into account that mostl wild animals will probably die a painful death. That is, unless they die a humane death at the hand of a hunter.

While such a view point is common in CA and other parts of the lower 48, it is rather vexing that this mindset has hit Alaska to the extent it has.
    That was the best way of explaining it. My hat is off to you!
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

That was a gift from some anti. I was a bit apprehensive to even pick it up. Nothing but papers... but next time I might not be so lucky Yup, this is the stuff I put up with. I should copy and paste some of the emails I have gotten!
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    That was a gift from some anti. I was a bit apprehensive to even pick it up. Nothing but papers... but next time I might not be so lucky Yup, this is the stuff I put up with. I should copy and paste some of the emails I have gotten!
    Just wondering, why do you think they sent you rolled up papers? Do you think they wanted to scare you into thinking it was a bomb, or is there another meaning to it?
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default They don't get along too well...

That's like the "Fish Feel Pain" thing.... Heck, they don't even get along living with each other !!

Ever been fishing in the Ocean... everything down there has vicious teeth and they literally shred each other on a regular basis, and that's just the way it is down there, they all seem to accept it as a lot in life, Eat, Get Eaten, or Run like Crazy.

Seems the same above the beach... "Learn to Live With Each Other???"

Try tellin' that to a Momma Moose w/calf nearby, "we all decided to Live with each other now, nothing to worry about anymore...."

Yeah, Ok
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    Just wondering, why do you think they sent you rolled up papers? Do you think they wanted to scare you into thinking it was a bomb, or is there another meaning to it?
    Not a bomb. It wasn't heavy at all. After speaking with the authorities they suggested they might go as far as putting some powder of some sort in it. ?? I have no idea what they are capable of or what they can get their hands on.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    www.baitem907.com

If I were to guess what threat would come from a roll of paper like that, I would say Anthrax. White powder that you wouldn't see until you unrolled the paper and it sent it airborne.

That's a little scary.

Hey bait,

If something like that is sent to you, throw it in the microwave for a few. That will kill all unwanted "bugs".

HA!!!!! Classic

Default McDonalds

This is probably the same chic that had lunch and McD's and failed to realise the impact a large fast food corporation like McD's imparts on our environment. Don't get me wrong, I occasionally hit the fast food joints, but at least I am not our saying I am better than though. I also spend a lot of time picking other peoples trash up from the roadsides, and out in public. I am just mind my own peace, am happy to be alive and love the place I live!

AKShawn
    AKShawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast