Thread: flyfishing for kings in July?

New Zealand (but TOronto at present for a year until 7/10)

Default flyfishing for kings in July?

Hi, am looking for some advice if possible please, noob to alaska but fly fished lots. We arrive ANC and get RV 4th july, will head to Kenai area then about 10 days later head up Mat-Su to Cheena area and home to NZ 24th july.
    I would like to catch a freshish king on fly misguided as this maybe! I have been reading lots and from what I can tell we will be in between runs and not anywhere at the right time (optimal time). We seem to have managed to time it so that we will be between the kings and silvers, might get a few pinks, way to early for steelhead. Is this a fair impression? Will be bringing 3,6,8,10wts and a mix of lines. Will prob try to have a day or more guided but largely DIY and walk/bank fishing.
    Wouldnt mid having a crack at a few pike too!
    thanks in advance if you suggest anything!
    ian

You'll be here at the right time for Kenai River kings as the second run will start to pick up around the tenth. Can't say I've heard of anybody targeting them with a fly rod but that's not to say it can't be done. Send a pm to FishNPhysician. I think if anybody could steer you in the right direction for possibly catching a king on the fly, he'd be the one on here to ask or would be able to point you in the right direction. As for pike, if you can afford a fly out to Alexander Lake, there are some fatty pike out there. Good luck!

Default mystic waters guide service

contact Fred Teleen at www.mysticfishing.com

He's probably already booked for the time your here, but he has a good bit of experience targeting big kings with fly rods and is always willing to give info.

Another option is flipping for kings on the Kasilof in early July. Some would argue whether or not it's truly fly fishing, but I've caught many kings this way and they've all been a blast!

good luck.

Default Kasilof King

Just thought you might like to see a nice Kasilof King to get you primed for your trip. This king was caught on June 23rd a couple of years ago so you should still have a pretty good shot in Early July.

Don't forget rainbows on the upper Kenai either. It's not usually super hot fishing like later in the summer and fall, but they'll be in there and are definitely worth targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post

This looks like an epic moment. It must have been very late when you landed this chrome beast. Good work.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Default Camera Flash

Our usual hours of operation on the Kasilof were 11pm to 6am. (probably why I don't do it much anymore with a wife and two little kids). I think that fish was caught around midnight.

New Zealand (but TOronto at present for a year until 7/10)

thats a fantastic fish on fly! thanks for all the info, sounds pretty encouraging but we have a 2yr old and baby so not sure if I will be doing the midnight fishing! will chase up those contacts too. thanks
    ian

Default That's what RVs are for.

The beautiful thing about the Kasilof is that there's a campground a 1/2 mile or so from where this fish was caught with a nice trail leading to the river. It's a popular combat fishery, but you can get the family situated after an evening around the campfire, take a short nap yourself if needed, and then hit the river after the masses have turned-in for the night. You still won't have the place to yourself, but there are fewer people at night and in Early July, of course, the sun only dips for an hour or so before coming back up.

It's a win, win, if your camping. I live down here, so I never get the luxury!

Of course, you'll be tired during the day with this schedule, but you just have to adopt the Alaskan philosophy..."You can sleep all winter!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    Just thought you might like to see a nice Kasilof King to get you primed for your trip. This king was caught on June 23rd a couple of years ago so you should still have a pretty good shot in Early July.

Don't forget rainbows on the upper Kenai either. It's not usually super hot fishing like later in the summer and fall, but they'll be in there and are definitely worth targeting.
    My wife just came into the computer room to see what I was yelling about. Basically, "Look at this $%#&#%# fish! It's as chrome as a ^$%#&$^$ bumper! And he caught it on a fly rod!!!

Yeah, that is an amazing king. I have not been this excited about summer yet!

For your time frame if your coming into the Matsu area, head to talkeetna, and jump on Mahays charter and get dropped off at Clear creek, at the mouth, you'll see the kings in there holding up......8 wt fly rod is what you want. Theres other species in there too, dollies, grayling, pinks, chums and silvers on occasion. Good chance to see brown bears and get good pictures. You can take a light weight tent food etc. and stay as long as you want. They'll pick you up whenever.

Default Also may want to try

the Gulkana on the Richardson Hwy. Kings are usually present thru mid July.

it would probably be a good idea to check with F&G just before you arrive. If last year is any indication king fishing may be spotty in a lot of areas. There have been quite a few fishery closures already announced for the upcoming season.
    Gary