Thread: Do I need a tunnel??

Default Do I need a tunnel??

Just thought I'd ask the guys that probably run this type of water. The two pics are of the river I run here in KY. I'm looking real hard at a 1652 or 1752 jon with a 60/40 jet for this river, but I'm not sure if I need a tunnel. There are several riffles I need to cross and with my current boat (Seaark rivited 1448 with 25 Merc 2-stoke) I must get out and drag the boat. Will a non-tunnel jon with the 60/40 do, or do you guys think I need a jet tunnel. This is the worst riffle that I have to cross.

i can fly right thru those in my 1652 g3 cc . as they are short and have enough water. but i would get a jet tunnel on any other boat i got as that foot is always in danger when below the boats bottom any amount.
    you want to hit them fast with your motor out as far as you can get it and run as that will keep the foot higher up. but get the jet tunnel.
    the lighter the boat the easier it will be for you.

I think I spoke with you on the phone about jets. You can certainly run that without a tunnel if you are moving and not overloaded. The tunnel will really help in this situation. It will kill you on a flat bottom in a lake with much wind. 4 people in a 1652 with a 40 hp will be near maxed out
    and may be too much for this.

It will kill you on a flat bottom in a lake with much wind.
    Are you saying a tunnel will be a disadvantage in this situation? Please explain. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRazorhead View Post
    I think I spoke with you on the phone about jets. You can certainly run that without a tunnel if you are moving and not overloaded. The tunnel will really help in this situation. It will kill you on a flat bottom in a lake with much wind. 4 people in a 1652 with a 40 hp will be near maxed out
    and may be too much for this.

Yeah, we spoke on the phone. I appreciate you taking my call and answearing my questions, but what do you mean when you say the boat may be too much for this?

Thumbs up

Those riffles are definately doable. I would opt to get a tunnel for piece of mind. Tunnel or flatbottom, if your gonna hit bottom, your gonna hit. Either the engine or the bottom of the boat will bang rocks. So just get a tunnel for piece of mind. A 1752 with a 60/40 and a tunnel will run that water all day. Just keep her on step. Good luck..

Smile

With 4 people you may not get the speed you need to be high and on top which may cause you to run lower in the water.

The problem with tunnels and jets in a lake with wind on a flat bottom are that flat bottoms ride higher on top of the water than a v-bottom. As a boat travles over waves, a v-bottom cuts into the wave keeping the tunnel under the surface of the water. A flat will ride over it. The much rougher ride of a flat bottom proves the non-slicing effect of the flat bottom. I know this from much experience. I owned a chain of boat dealerships at one time and have seen almost everything.

A tunnel is a very good thing if you are running it where it was designed for. Even Outboard Jets states that a tunnel in a flat bottom is not typically a good choice.

By the way, I am currently running an Alweld 1652 without a tunnel with a 60/40 merc jet.

Well I won't be in any lakes. I have also seen on Outboardjets.com website about the flat bottoms and tunnels don't work good, but I keep seeing on here there are some guys are running Alweld flat bottoms with tunnels and that they run great. I just keep coming back to the idea of the tunnel for the added protection on the intake foot. With the newer motors with tilt/trim as a standard, if I was to hit something looks like it won't kick up very easy as if it didn't have tilt/trim.

If all I were running were smaller rivers and creeks with riffles or white water I would definately have a tunnel. I spend probably 25% of my time on lakes so tunnels are out.

The problem with tunnels and jets in a lake with wind on a flat bottom are that flat bottoms ride higher on top of the water than a v-bottom. As a boat travles over waves, a v-bottom cuts into the wave keeping the tunnel under the surface of the water. A flat will ride over it.
    So you mean the flat bottom is disadvantageous on a lake, not the tunnel. Mine is a modified V with a tunnel.

Oh, to the o.p., I'd get a tunnel. It'll buy you a couple inches.

Yes, the flat bottom is disadvantageous on a lake compared to a mod-v. This is true only if conditions are windy or rough. A tunnel on a flat bottom compounds the problems. It ultimately causes more cavitation in these conditions. I wish I knew how to post drawings on here and it might make more sense. I am not real great at getting my point across in writing so bear with me.

by the way, if you think you need a tunnel you will never be happy without it and ultimately you are buying the boat to have fun and be happy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny, does your Alweld have a splash guard near the bottom of the transom? If so does it allow for your foot to be mounted a little higher from the bottom of the boat?

I do have a splash guard and the front of the intake is above the bottom line of the boat. I will try to post pics on here if I can figure it out.

Something to keep in mind, is what costs more- a riped out bottom of the boat- or a new foot. The more times that you rub that boat over the riffles without the foot being damaged, the weaker the bottom is getting.

Just my 2 cents.

( I run a 18' flat bottom with a 75, and no tunnel. I would rather hit the foot than the bottom.)

Geez.... man, that makes no sense, if you are running shallow very often, you are still going to drag the bottom before you hit the foot.......................!
    Why damage both?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Something to keep in mind, is what costs more- a riped out bottom of the boat- or a new foot. The more times that you rub that boat over the riffles without the foot being damaged, the weaker the bottom is getting.

Just my 2 cents.

( I run a 18' flat bottom with a 75, and no tunnel. I would rather hit the foot than the bottom.)
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Gramps, I've always found that the motor will let you know before you hit either, other than a rock sticking out that sometimes gets you anyway.

Take a sportjon or any other tunnel, and they will just power over the riffle regardless what it does to the boat.

I see it happen all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRazorhead View Post
    I do have a splash guard and the front of the intake is above the bottom line of the boat. I will try to post pics on here if I can figure it out.
    That would be great Johnny. I've been looking on different websites at splash guards mounted on boats in relation to the foot and can't get a good picture angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Gramps, I've always found that the motor will let you know before you hit either, other than a rock sticking out that sometimes gets you anyway.

Take a sportjon or any other tunnel, and they will just power over the riffle regardless what it does to the boat.

I see it happen all the time.
    I have never been able to "power over" anything, once I run out of water, I'm done........I have "skipped" over some brief shallows w/ enough momentum, if the foot had been hanging down it would have dug in big time and potentially damaged the foot. By the time the foot digs in its too late.
    So why drag the bottom, the let the foot dig in and end up stuck?

On the occasions that I have gotten stuck, the boat was planted.

If I was w/o a tunnel and running on step and the foot starts to hit, what am I going to do?
    At that point I have either made a bad choice or have no other path to take........in any case usually to late to turn around and am committed to the path I have chosen.... ...................
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR