Thread: Mirror Lake

Default Mirror Lake

Anybody fished Mirror lake lately? Wanting to take the kids fishing and to get the canoe in the water for the first time this year.

Mr. G
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Drove by this am, only open for the first 30 yards or so around shore. Still pretty iced over.

Thanks, Tom. Maybe I'll try somewhere else.

Yep, I was there tonight with the kids just playing around on the shore/beach. Like Tom said, about 30 yards is what you have there. However the north (?) inlet/bay was completely open, but I have no clue how deep it is there.

Took the kids fishing tonight, got skunked. My three year old had a good time. She waded in the water with her slip on shoes, got cold. So we left. Was there about an hour. No bites.

Default Mirror Lake is no longer stocked...

Check out ADF&G's latest stocking plan. Mirror Lake (and a couple of others) is no longer stocked. They have re-evaluated its connectivity to Knik Arm (via Mirror Creek). The fear is that there is a risk (albeit small) that whirling disease that has been detected in the Ship Creek Hatchery could spread to wild rainbow populations. Once the new hatchery is online in 2012? they will begin stocking it again. I've also talked to the local sportfish biologist, Dan Bosch, and confirmed this. Kind of a bummer for me since its right up the street but I understand. In the meantime, you are unlikely to catch ANYTHING in Mirror Lake except the occasional blackfish.

Wasn't it just 2 winters ago when the Korean guy got popped with like 300 rainbows over the limit? Seems like there would still have to be a few fish left in there.

I believe that was the last year they stocked it, either that or the next spring.