Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitter Ramp range (vent time)

Default Whitter Ramp range (vent time)

Ok, they have a system there. Blue side cones with arrows mean you can launch or recover. Yellow side mean do not use.....
    Well this afternoon. Two boats decided it will be quicker to use the recovery side. I mentioned it to him and he said no is coming in to recover. Funny how things work. No sooner he got the boat in the water here comes a boat heading in.

Rules are there for a reason and the system is there for a reason... TO MAKE THE RAMP RUN SMOOTHER AND QUICKER.

Just because you can't wait the extra 10 minutes it might take launch, doesn't give you the right to do what you so choose at the launch......

Another thing I saw. A boat backing up to launch it's boat stops and they get out and pull get the boat organized and load stuff from the truck to the boat.
    Get your stuff ready before you decided to pull up to the launch...
    Perfect time is when your waiting for the tunnel to open. Deciding to pull out and place your rods in the rod holder, plug the boat, load gear, food and ETC. This really needs to be done before you are backing down the ramp.

Had a blast today but left scratching my head over this. And the season is young.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It will only get worse as the season progresses. Launching and retrieval is kind of like having children. Just because you can does not mean you should. How is the knee healing up?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Knee is doing good. My mind thinks I'm at 100%, but the knee still lets me know that I'm not healed yet. 4 more months of recovery. Thanks for asking.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Knee is doing good. My mind thinks I'm at 100%, but the knee still lets me know that I'm not healed yet. 4 more months of recovery. Thanks for asking.
    Gary

What did you have done to the knee? I had both knees replaced in November & I'm almost 90% back. Keep working on the PT.

Tore my ACL and broke my low leg bone
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

**** that sounds painful! I think I'd rather have a knee replaced.

Dang, man. I remember you posting about the ACL, but don't recall you saying anything about the break. You never did respond to my asking about which hunt this surgery funded for Frost. You should get a punch card.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Frost, who knows. Some future hunt in know for sure.
    That's fine with me cause he did an excellent job on my knee
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default more info?

AKGrey, can you explain a little more?
    What is the yellow for? if noone can use it? or is it only for retreivals?

Talking My two cents to vent

I will be letting people know if they are an idiot or not when it comes to the ramp if there are rules in place now. Before there were rules or directional ramps you couldn't really jump on someone because it was a free-for-all. Haven't come across anyone loading gear at the ramp yet, when I do I'll be sure to express my thoughts.

I told a guy he blocked me as I was backing down to retrieve once, he ducked in and launched as I was backing down. In Homer, the ramp is long and has four lanes and he and I were the only two boats and humans around. He was zippin' down the ramp and cut in my lane, launched his boat right on the bow of mine. He moved immediately without a smile or anything, he looked like a weird-o!

With our new 'forum flags' we can identify who knows what the helo is going on and who needs a printed copy of this thread shoved right up there outdrive!

Gary, i understand your frustration with people that prepare the boat on the ramp.I share that with you
    last w/e was first time i have launched on Whittiers new ramps , i was not aware of one way traffic, i must have done ok as it went smooth and no one was yelling at me. does seem their system is NOT well marked and if you have not used it to understand it. blue and yellow ???? wouldn't red for stop and green for go make more sense?????
    as far as your knee, glad you are healing
    I feel part of your pain about 10 -12 days ago i did my ACL in and bad strain to MCL. and tore medial meniscus (fell off boat while getting it ready for spring) probably no surgery in my future, TOO OLD, after 6-8 weeks we will see where i'm at and whether i want to push for the surgery. Hear rehab is a bear.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default It's call Boat Launch not boat parking

Seen that a bunch of times where they stop with the boat in the water and unload the back of the truck onto the dock then hump it down to the boat. Trouble launching or receiving is one thing. Had a guy that parked on the dock for 45 min, got into a heated argument when I explained that it is not a parking spot, harbor master came down to get in-between.
    Maybe they need to make a sign for these stupid inconciderate holes, who's common sence is someplace where the sun don't shine.

But it wouldn't help anyway.

I go as far as picking up and dropping my party on the hotel or fuel dock to shorten the bike ride back to/from the truck, yes I lock up a bike and ride it back and forth.
    Simple common idea to shorten my time on the dock with those fools.

Quote Originally Posted by vadimb View Post
    AKGrey, can you explain a little more?
    What is the yellow for? if noone can use it? or is it only for retreivals?
    IE, Fridays busy day to launch they will have 2 lanes open and one closed.
    Blue open and yellow closed. If you are coming in from sea at that time you will see just the opposite. You will see two yellow and one blue.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Seen that a bunch of times where they stop with the boat in the water and unload the back of the truck onto the dock then hump it down to the boat. Trouble launching or receiving is one thing. Had a guy that parked on the dock for 45 min, got into a heated argument when I explained that it is not a parking spot, harbor master came down to get in-between.
    Maybe they need to make a sign for these stupid inconciderate holes, who's common sence is someplace where the sun don't shine.

But it wouldn't help anyway.

I go as far as picking up and dropping my party on the hotel or fuel dock to shorten the bike ride back to/from the truck, yes I lock up a bike and ride it back and forth.
    Simple common idea to shorten my time on the dock with those fools.
    I hear you! You would think that after a nice recreational trip out on the sound w/ the family they guys would come back stress free and all relaxed. Not the case for some of them, the boat launch at whittier seems to bring out the testosterone in some fellas

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you don't necessarily have to know the color coding of the cones. The blue cones have an arrow pointing in so you know that you can retreive on those lanes, and the yellow ones have a white X on them so you know that you can't use that lane. Just thought I'd throw that one out there for those that haven't been out there this season.

We went out this past weekend for 3 days and 2 nights and did pretty well. 5 halibut (one 80 pounder), 10 rockfish, 1 nearly five foot long ling that we had to release 3 times, and a couple gallons of tails. That ling was pissing me off. It's like he knew he wasn't in season and could just get a free meal and ride to the top. I'll be back for his meat on July 1st though!

Question Yellow closed?

Why would they close a lane at all? I would think something like, blue is for launching and yellow is for retreiving. What am I missing here? Lord knows I wouldn't want to show up at the ramp and act like an idiot, ........wait a second, I can finally fit in. Yellow or blue, here I come!
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Why would they close a lane at all? I would think something like, blue is for launching and yellow is for retreiving. What am I missing here? Lord knows I wouldn't want to show up at the ramp and act like an idiot, ........wait a second, I can finally fit in. Yellow or blue, here I come!
    Just think of it this way. What ever direction you are going, follow the cones with the arrow and not the X. They have it set up that way at the end of the docks for the guys coming in, as well as at the top of the ramp for the guys launching.

Default Let me guess

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    Just think of it this way. What ever direction you are going, follow the cones with the arrow and not the X. They have it set up that way at the end of the docks for the guys coming in, as well as at the top of the ramp for the guys launching.
    Are these cones blue on one side and yellow on the other? If so, it all makes sense now.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Are these cones blue on one side and yellow on the other? If so, it all makes sense now.
    No, but you can only see the set that applies to you from where you are at. There are 3 cones at the end of the docks, and 3 cones at the top of the ramp. Follow the blue cones with the arrow if you are coming in, or follow the other set of blue cones with the arrow if you are launching. If there is a blue cone on one end of a lane, then there will be a yellow one at the other end. Make sense? I'm trying to explain this the best I can. It is a strange process, but makes sense once you experience it once or twice.

I really think that they should have a couple kids out there directing the traffic. Even if they were making minimum wage, the harbor would still see plenty of profit since they are pulling in $20 per launch for all the hundreds of launches per day.

Default Guess I am getting lazy ... and old

I gave up on Whitter two years ago ... don't get me wrong, once you get out of the tunnel, launch, parking situation, PWS is fabulious. Bought boat storage in Seward within 1/4 mi from the downtown dock I go out in the middle of the week ... no weekend warrior's. By the time you wait for the tunnel, deal with the dock and have to walk and walk and walk to park the truck and trailer, you are almost to Seward. In Seward when I get cell reception I call to the deli across from the downtown launch and pick up a great box lunch, put the boat in water and get to the fish. Seward is actually closer to good fishing than Whitter.

As far as I am concerned, Whitter has too many issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast