Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitter report 4/7

Default Whitter report 4/7

Went out Thursday afternoon and came back today. Did about 20 minutes worth of fishing. Fishing for Sea bass and we caught one ling.

Shrimping was fantastic. Came home with 4 gallons of shrimp.
    Whales were out jumping and the seals were doing there thing.

Water was flat and it was sunny!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

cool glad you had fun. I'll be in the first tunnel heading out south toward Montague for some fishing and then to Seward harbor. hopefully flat and sunny like you had.
    Boatless

Did you by chance see any bears or did you not get out far enough?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Pictures of shrimping yesterday

A couple of pictures from shrimping yesterday...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Shrimping

One more picture from yesterday; our guide...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Octopus for dinner?

Nice Pics RB,

Just curious, gonna use that octopus for Bait or for Table Fare?
    you kept it right?

We Nailed Halibut and P Cod on Octo bait the other day out by Cape Chiniak, 23 fathoms

What do you guys use for Shrimp Bait?, how many pots, soak time, etc.?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Octopus

Kodiakrain,
    The octopus is for bait; I'm heading down to deep creek on Monday for 3 weeks of halibut/king fishing and maybe some claming.

We used Steve's shrimp crack for bait and let them soak for 4 hours on average. We ended up with 4 gallons out of 7 pots...one pot was a circular fold up type sold by west marine for $175, and it only produced 1 shrimp. I had high hopes for that pot because of its portability when folded up in it's satchel. We are puzzled as to why this pot didn't produce...we ran that pot at 400-500 and the others at 500-600 feet.

Anyhow, we had a good first trip, the boat ran great and the Taylors diesel heat I recently installed worked awesome. Will head out to PWS again on 4 June...

Dang, you went out 4/7? Next time don't wait a month till you post your report looking forward to getting out on water this summer.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default Cod and Halibut Competition

Thanks for the Shrimp tips, (you must have meant 5/7, yesterday right?)

Just for your interest sake, as you are going after halibut next week, down here it seems the Cod are in pretty heavy, ("haystacking" on the sounder),as of May 5th, and I believe we were having a hard time getting the octopus past the Cod to get to the Halibut, so I cut up some of the Cod to use next time, Thinking they may not hit that as quickly as the Octo.

It's a theory, but you might try that if you get nailing Cod and are into enough halibut that you know they are sitting underneath the Cod. Supposedly they (P Cod) are not as excited about eating their own....

Anybody else verify this theory? I'll try it this week and post results. We got a few real nice Halibut and over thirty real nice Cod, on all Octopus bait

I have heard this and tried it commercial fishing in past but honestly can't remember if it was a definite result in less Cod, Sounds good tho, eh?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks for the Shrimp tips, (you must have meant 5/7, yesterday right?)

Just for your interest sake, as you are going after halibut next week, down here it seems the Cod are in pretty heavy, ("haystacking" on the sounder),as of May 5th, and I believe we were having a hard time getting the octopus past the Cod to get to the Halibut, so I cut up some of the Cod to use next time, Thinking they may not hit that as quickly as the Octo.

It's a theory, but you might try that if you get nailing Cod and are into enough halibut that you know they are sitting underneath the Cod. Supposedly they (P Cod) are not as excited about eating their own....
    It's funny you should say that. I took 4 guys out today and I was putting big chunks of cod on every hook and we still caught more cod. So they don't seem to mind being cannibalistic.

And we've got the same cod problem here in Homer. Though it seems as though they don't like some of the deeper depths that some of the halibut like to hang out in.

Default was hoping anyway

Aww shucks, I thought I was on to something there...

have to go searching around I guess or wait til the Cod thin out, I'm stuck on an old Halibut spot that always produces and saw just Stacks of Cod all over it, sure enough they were there, Good Eatin' tho

There were Butts mixed in there too, just trying to outfox those Cod

We went out this past Thursday for 3 days and 2 nights and did pretty well. 5 halibut (one 80 pounder), 10 rockfish, 1 nearly five foot long ling that we had to release 3 times, and a couple gallons of tails. That ling was pissing me off. It's like he knew he wasn't in season and could just get a free meal and ride to the top. I'll be back for his meat on July 1st though!

We did encounter a couple areas where the cod were really, really thick. More so than I have seen in past seasons. It was to the point that we would have to pull anchor and move just to get away from them. I have always heard that putting cod on the hook will help reduce the number of cod strikes you get, but it didn't seem to matter this past weekend. They were on a feeding frenzy!

Default halibut

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    We went out this past Thursday for 3 days and 2 nights and did pretty well. 5 halibut (one 80 pounder), 10 rockfish, 1 nearly five foot long ling that we had to release 3 times, and a couple gallons of tails. That ling was pissing me off. It's like he knew he wasn't in season and could just get a free meal and ride to the top. I'll be back for his meat on July 1st though!

We did encounter a couple areas where the cod were really, really thick. More so than I have seen in past seasons. It was to the point that we would have to pull anchor and move just to get away from them. I have always heard that putting cod on the hook will help reduce the number of cod strikes you get, but it didn't seem to matter this past weekend. They were on a feeding frenzy!

Where in the sound did you find the halibut?

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    In the water
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Nice try....these guys will never tell you...LOL

Default nice

I love it .

I had to ask. Last year was my first year fishing PWS and we caught 2 halibut all year. A few guys on this forum helped me out, so I appreciate that! Any advice helps.

Glad to hear that people are doing well out of the sound though.

I love it .

I had to ask. Last year was my first year fishing PWS and we caught 2 halibut all year. A few guys on this forum helped me out, so I appreciate that! Any advice helps.

Glad to hear that people are doing well out of the sound though.
    Whitter is a hard placeto fond halibut. Allot of place are either far or oy produce when the salmon are in.
    That is a great thing about this fourm, people helping out people here.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Ak Gray, Why are you poaching other peoples shrimping spots, at the very least when u do, don't post pictures giving away your location,

Default NOT

Quote Originally Posted by SEAL HUMPER View Post
    Ak Gray, Why are you poaching other peoples shrimping spots, at the very least when u do, don't post pictures giving away your location,
    Alaska Gray did not post any pictures in this post. So why are you accusing him of poaching?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default That is the question I was thinking

And how do you "Poach" a public place?
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast