Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bear

Default First bear

I just shot my first bear ever. I was hunting at Eklutna (not easy). I rode my bike all the way back to the air strip and back again. I was about 1 mile from the parking lot on the lake shore trail when the two of us just happened to run into eachother litterally. When I saw her she was less than twenty yards. She spooked and jumped behind the closest tree. This gave me enough time to get off my bike, nock an arrow, and get ready for the shot. She started to move back towards the creek giving me a perfect shooting lane up the creek. As she steped into the creek I let my arrow fly for a perfect quartering away double lung at about 25 yards. The arrow went clean through and she only made it about 20 yards before she piled up. She is no monster by any means, my first thought when I saw her was dog. For my first bear it couldn't have been better. So now how do you get a small bear out of the woods on a well maintained trail with less than a mile walk? Simple, you run home and get your wheel barrow. Could not have been easier. Definatly got some funny looks from the hikers in the area. Call it dumb luck if you want but that was probably one of the easiest hunts I've ever done. Took the whole bear home and my two buddys showed me how to skin it right in my driveway, while my wife cooked us a good home cooked meal.

congratulations .It just makes my day when I hear about a first bear makes me think of my first a sweet memory. thanks show us some pictures .

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Great JOB!!!!... like blackbear it bring back memories here also... i carried my first one home and had another walk in the yard as i was skinning it the Valdez POPO's were hot on his trail though
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Congrats on your bear
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Congrats on the bear! Great story, I'm sure you are stoked! And Vince, I've been witnessing some of the Valdez POPO and Valdez bear action! lol. I'm down here working, see black bears on the side o' the mountain on the way home about every day. I spot the POPO even more frequently!
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

Default Exciting!

Very fun, very exciting. Nice descriptive narrative. Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Congrats! Sounds like a great hunt. Now lets see the pics!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I'm still waiting for the new computer to get hooked up to the internet and then I'll try to figure out how to post pics.

Default bear

great job glad to here you got your first bear. waiting for pics

Congrats! Very nice! Sounds like a great hunt. You didn't happen to see any grizzlies out? I got me the archery tag for there this fall.

Nicely done, sir! Very glad to hear that it worked out for you, particularly since you went in on your bike. Something about working a little harder for it that makes it just a bit sweeter.

Great read.... Congratulations..

Thats funny, the wheelbarrow bear.. lol I couldn't imagine trying to get a bear over 200lbs in a wheel barrow..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thumbs up

Great story! Could only have been better if she had been FOB'd!

Congratulations on your bear,

Taylor

-[]--------->

Default Congrats!

Sounds like you had a great experience. Thanks for the post. Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Akhardwater View Post
    I just shot my first bear ever. I was hunting at Eklutna (not easy). I rode my bike all the way back to the air strip and back again. I was about 1 mile from the parking lot on the lake shore trail when the two of us just happened to run into eachother litterally. When I saw her she was less than twenty yards. She spooked and jumped behind the closest tree. This gave me enough time to get off my bike, nock an arrow, and get ready for the shot. She started to move back towards the creek giving me a perfect shooting lane up the creek. As she steped into the creek I let my arrow fly for a perfect quartering away double lung at about 25 yards. The arrow went clean through and she only made it about 20 yards before she piled up. She is no monster by any means, my first thought when I saw her was dog. For my first bear it couldn't have been better. So now how do you get a small bear out of the woods on a well maintained trail with less than a mile walk? Simple, you run home and get your wheel barrow. Could not have been easier. Definatly got some funny looks from the hikers in the area. Call it dumb luck if you want but that was probably one of the easiest hunts I've ever done. Took the whole bear home and my two buddys showed me how to skin it right in my driveway, while my wife cooked us a good home cooked meal.

Default Congrats.

Must have been a rush. Waiting on Pics of course. How long did it take you too bike back to the airstrip?

I rode real slow. Less than 5mph's. The trail was real good. I don't know how to post pics. So if anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

Congrat on your first

Default Awesome

Great job!!! It doesn't surprise me you got one that close to the parking lot, when some of my friends camped up there last year, the bears tried to get into everything. They said they had one in the back of the truck one evening, one on top of the subaru, and one just inside the woods trying to figure out what he wanted to get into, but they stayed away from the tent. So there should be plenty of bears there!!! Nice job on the harvest!!

use the "manage attachemnts button just below the message box in the "reply to thread box" to up load pictures.

just scroll down a little after you hit reply to thread, you should see it

Congrats on your first bear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast