Thread: Kings of Flies

Default Kings of Flies

Can anyone give me any advice on catching kings on flies? I have never tried but vowed this year to be the start.

What weight rod, and what kind of flies and drift patterns are most successful for you? I truly look forward to reading any replies I may get!!!

Thanks!

A whole lot depends on where and how you're fishing. I know rivers where an 8 weight is fine, and I've fished a few spots where I wished I was using a 12 weight.

Fishing offshore along reefs and kelp beds I've settled on a 10 weight with Rio Leviathin lines. From shore in saltwater I use the same rod with a Rio floating Outbound line. In rivers I use the same floating line until the water gets over about 8 feet in depth or is really fast. I do lots of line mending and catch most of my kings on a dead drift or slow swing at the bottom of a drift, both of which are really frustrated with sinking lines. Yeah I use a sinking line when I have to, but that's probably about 10% of the time. I know there are guys on here who swear by sinking and use nothing else. A pick-yer-poison situation.

As for flies, offshore my go-to fly is a Clauser with pretty heavy lead eyes, usually #1/0 or #2. Fishing saltwater from shore I usually use Clausers with beadchain eyes, usually #2 and #4. In rivers I have fair luck with #2 Clausers some of the time, but oversize #2 egg-type patterns are also good. In clear rivers, midday fishing is best if you go smaller than usual for your king flies, on the order of steelhead-size, roughly #4-#6.

Thanks so much for the advice. I cant wait to start my assault on the water!

Best of luck to you!

Read about winter steelhead tactics, thats how to fish kings... Big water, big flies, long rods... Oh I can't wait
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Read about winter steelhead tactics, thats how to fish kings...
    Not really...quite dissimilar, as a matter of fact.

Steelhead fishing is all about the speed of the swing, whereas King fishing is all about the depth of the swing. The takes are totally different, and the hookset techniques are pretty much contrary.