Thread: Early September, Silvers - advice?

Question Early September, Silvers - advice?

I'm psyched! Been to AK once in early-mid August in 2006, going back in 2010, after mid-month of August, because things get cheaper! Get there on August 29th, leave there September 5th. Halibut fishing on the 3rd. Having been there once, I have a few ideas of where to fish - but, any more ideas for the KP would be GREATLY appreciated. Will be going to the Kenai Peninsula, mostly targeting silvers. Since I caught my first one, I was and am hooked for life! Any advice on best bets/places to try? Thanks!! Frank, NM

Centennial Campground or the fishwalk by the visitor center, both in Soldotna. I have caught silvers there around that time frame.

try fishing funny river campground on funny river out of soldotna. also seward should have at least a few along the beaches or in the resurrection river. whittier mite be okay to try to.....bird creek, california creek in girdwood, portage creek between anchorage and turnagain pass are also worth a try. ALSO, the Russian River and the Upper Kenai River should have plenty of good silvers to be found and great rainbow and dolly fishing, not to mention the beautiful fall scenery!

Release Lake Trout

Check out these fishing reports from last year to see where things were "hot" at the time you plan on being here. http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/...1.09-5.27.html

One of my favorites is the Kasilof. It gets a strong run of silvers some years and it can be a great place to catch them.

If your halibut trip is just for halibut you might want to talk to the charter operator and make it a combo (depending on where you're doing it). There are still some nice silvers out in K-Bay/Cook Inlet and very decent halibut fishing. I took a buddy of mine out last Aug. 30th and caught a limit of butt ranging from 15 to 50 lbs., and some nice silvers with one that was 17 lbs. There are pictures on the above reports page under "Aug. 30th - Coho Dave."

Thumbs up Thanks, all!

Thanks so much for the info - keeps my planning going, which is half the fun. Good info shared - keep it coming! Again, thank you!