Thread: Unit 20 Moose....advice

Default Unit 20 Moose....advice

hi there!

i'm new to this forum, and i'm looking for some advice

i'm in the process of planning a Moose hunt for unit 20 area(20a or B). i was thinking i wanted to hunt near North Pole and i was wondering if any of you could help me out.

i guess i'm just curious as to the "Best" way to approach this hunt. it will be un-guided hunt and i am a non-resident (i live in minnesota).

also, when does the Rut kick in typically?

any words of wisdom would help!

thanks

Hunting near North Pole isn't the best idea, espceially for a non-resident as there is lots of private property out that way. There are lots of better places to hunt in unit 20, straight across the Tanana into the Wood River area would be my pick but access will be tough unless you know someone. Are you going alone?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Hunting near North Pole isn't the best idea, espceially for a non-resident as there is lots of private property out that way. There are lots of better places to hunt in unit 20, straight across the Tanana into the Wood River area would be my pick but access will be tough unless you know someone. Are you going alone?
    i don't know....... North Pole has a wide selection of ornamental moose to be had... one stop at Santa clause house will fill a basket or two
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Most (not all) of North Pole falls under the Fairbanks Management area, which requires the use of bows to hunt moose, not firearms.

Are you planning to fly in somewhere? Boat? ATV? Truck? It depends on how you plan to hunt and/or how much $$$ you want to spend. You have to remember that North Pole is very close to Fairbanks, the second largest city in Alaska, so the whole area is hunted pretty hard. As a non resident, I think you might find it difficult to find a productive area from the road system that isn't already being hunted. That has been my experience in that area. It can be done, but it is difficult. If this is the route you want to take, the first place that comes to mind for me is the Yukon Training Area of Ft. Wainwright. You would have to obtain a Recreation Access Permit from the post visitor's center, but I know there are moose back there. A little better would be if you had access to a good boat, you could check out some of the sloughs on the other side of the Tanana River. Your best bet would probably be a fly-in. The farther you can get from the crowds, the better. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    i plan to go it alone. i have friends in North Pole that could put me up upon arrival.

i'm not saying i necessarily want to hunt RIGHT there. but that would be my starting point.

that "Tanana" place you're talking about.... what do u mean access would be tough unless i know someone???

and to everyone else reading this..... what would you recommend as a better option for a Solo Moose hunting trip. Minimal $$. and a strong work ethic. WHERE, When, and HOW?

thanks guys for the advice so far

Quote Originally Posted by bartz View Post
    and to everyone else reading this..... what would you recommend as a better option for a Solo Moose hunting trip. Minimal $$. and a strong work ethic. WHERE, When, and HOW?

thanks guys for the advice so far
    I'll start with HOW. Find a hunting buddy. That will help split some costs and some of the burden. I've no idea how experienced you are at hunting and outdoors, but I'd recommend that you reconsider going solo on your first trip moose hunting. I've nothing against hunting solo, but moose hunting can be a real chore, even for very experienced moose hunters. It will be much safer with a partner. Should you find and harvest a moose I promise the extra help will be appreciated. If there is no one locally that wants to join you for the jaunt to AK maybe you could hang around this forum a bit and see if a possibility comes up to join another member for a moose hunt. Stranger things have happened.

Where: If you find a partner that may significantly reduce the cost of a fly-out or float trip and would greatly increase the accessibility of AK. I wish there were, but there are not moose and bears behind every bush--in fact the only thing that is present everywhere are mosquitoes and various biting insects. There are good pockets of game over much of the state, but within very good areas the moose are still concentrated to specific areas. Moose hunting does not require a guide, but I would use some type of outfitter or at least a consultant to help place you in a good location.

When: I would plan to hunt as long as possible. In my unit (unit 17) the non-resident season is normally 9/1-9/15 and I would plan to hunt all of it you can. The rut varies a bit but is normally picking up by the 10th or so and that is definitely among the best times to be afield. In short hunt as much as possible and your odds of success increase.

Bartz, set up your p.m. feature or give me your e-mail addy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Engel View Post
    Bartz, set up your p.m. feature or give me your e-mail addy.
    ken! sorry about the delay; i've been super busy with final exams;
    here is my email

bartz056@d.umn.edu