Thread: rving the kenia penn

Default rving the kenia penn

We will be driving the Kenia Penn starting 7/10/06 I have a son that is handie capped he can not walk far 1/8 to a 1/4 mile max but he lives to fish (i am lucky or what ) This will most likey be are only trip to Alaska ( the cost ) I would like to let him fish for every species we can get too any suggestions on where to stop, lures, baits ,places , types of fish ie rainbows ,reds,grayling, kings ,silvers , halibut will be are only guided trip the rest will be us hoofing it any body know a good guide for the halibut also what town the boat fishes out of . he can fish with a spinning reel will 15 to 17 lb test cut it up there or should we move up to 20 to 25 lb test .we fish the gulp coast (Texas) we use penn reels . any and I meen any suggestions would great what kind of bugg juice is best up there . we use deep woods off will that do or is there something yall locals use .should we take ultra light for rainbows or grayling?thanks inadvance

Default RV'ing

Tom?

Another Texan here, I will have another day or two,3 on the Peninsula if you get there on the 10th. I have a few friends there that I will be staying and fishing with that I know can help you out and point you in the right direction with local fishing If you would not mind company you could probably jump in with us for a day or so.
    Doug

Thanks for the offer but will have the the wife the sister her husband they want to sight see we are going slip fishing in here and there but we will fish . what part of texas are yall from ?

Default RV'ing

I spend about a week a month at my home near Texarkana, TX. I will be heading to Anchorage on about the 1st or so of July the heading south on about the 4th or so for the remainder of my time. If you change your mind let me know, I go up there quite often so please feel free to email me if I can help.

Doug

Default Kenai Penn

Tomhorn - just a couple thoughts that may work for you and your son. There are several campgrounds in Soldotna along the Kenai that may work well. There is Centenial next to the visitors center that has stairs down to the river. There should be Reds and Pinks when you are there. You could do really well on Pinks in the town of Hope. You can park an RV right next to where you fish and it is a fun little town. You can get very close to the Anchor down by Homer and may find some Pinks and Dollies. If you go out of Homer for Halibut check to see if Daniels Personalized Guide Service has an opening. Dan is a great guy. The Homer Spit Lagoon is a circus to fish but you may catch a King there. Just some toughts. Have a great time.

Default Homer fishing hole.

Hi there... Like the previos post says-- it will be a circus at the fishing hole.. But I know it is handicap accessible.

I also noticed fishing platforms on Ship Creek in Anchorage where you can even fish from a wheelchair.

Best of luck!
    Blessings.

i don't know if the reds be be in on the upper kenai on those dates. But they have the handicapped area right below the ferry.

Default RV'ing

Starting around Sterling at Bing's landing throughout the Soldotna area their are many areas on the river that are setup to accomodate most anyone including wheelchair users. They are nice platforms to fish from, I have taken many folks in wheelchairs fishing in some of these areas over the years.

Their are probably many more that I am not aware of in the area.

My only concern at the homer lagoon would be getting someone with not so much a walking impairment but someone in a wheelchair down to the water. I know it is not real soft ground but those chairs can be tough to push through stuff like that.

I have pushed a guy in a chair up the walkway at low tide from the marina in Homer before, talk about a workout!

Doug

Default Handicapped sites

One thing you will find onte Kenai is that they have done considerable planning for handicapped fishermen. I've been fishing there for more than 30 years. One of the previous posts mentioned Centenial Campground in Soldotna. You definitely want to stop there. There will be a lot of people fishing with you but it has been a good spot for years and they put the handicapped walkway at the perfect spot. It is easily wheelchair accessible. Also in Soldotna, try Swiftwater Campground. It is a short drive down the dirt road beside the Fred Meyer store. The walkways there were built to prevent bank erosion but there is handicapped parking right beside them and there is plenty of fishing space. I've caugt my limit there more times than I can count. I think there are a couple of other locations that are also similarly equipped. Call the Soldotna Visitors Center, they should be able to offer assistance. Also, check with any of the sporting goods stores in the area. They are great about helping put you on fish. I never go through there without stopping in at Soldotna Hardware and Fishing. If they haven't got the answer they'll know who does. Have a great time....perhaps we'll see each other on the river.

Default Handicap Access

Hey Tom. The Alaska Fish and Game regs lists several shoreline sites that are accessible to the public, and handicap accessible as well. They're also very good at taking phone calls although that may change with the fishing season going into full swing.
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...tral/kenai.cfm
    Last year, our first trip to Alaska and first RV experience, the wife and I camped and fished Morgan's Landing for silvers (no luck) but man, what a beautiful place. Ask the rangers if you could drive your son and family to the fishing ramps since the road access is long and steep. One morning, we saw a fresh bear track, very large according to another fisherman, so we began singing the Smokey the Bear song wherever we walked. Good luck!

Wink Fishing places

Reds: Russian river campground
    Silvers: the 10th is early for Silvers in the rivers
    Kings: Crooked creek, Homer fishin hole
    Rainbows: kenai river
    Halibut: Go out of Homer (It has docks) Try a combo trip for Silvers as we start catching them in the lower inlet first week of July. Get a reservation now,as July fills up first.

Frank