Thread: Need a camping idea for this weekend

Default Need a camping idea for this weekend

We'd planned on going to Valdez for the May-Day Fly-In but all the Aero Club airplanes are booked up and I'm not really looking forward to a 6hr drive.

I'm thinking a camping trip with the new Ranger might be fun. Any ideas for places that might be fun to ride and camp within a couple hours of the Eagle River area? Anything around the Mat-Su area? Directions would be awesome.

Thanks!

Kings river maybe? Not sure on the snow conditions though.

Where is Kings River?

I don't think Kings would be rideable very far in. It's not really south facing and it's heavily shaded with woods. I think it'd be messy, if not impassable.

But if you go, give us a trail report!

Kings is around Mile 65 on the Glenn, I think- past Jonesville but before Permanente. It has parking on both sides of the highway, but it's a popular spot. Not sure how busy it gets this time of year, but in the summer months it's full of campers.

I'd think the better riding would be on the trails that have good southern exposures and more open areas for the sun to dry things out...maybe Jonesville or Puritan.
    Last edited by LuJon; 05-08-2010 at 11:58. Reason: Wrong Highway (changed to Glenn from Parks)
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if you got a big motor home... all the walmart parking lots are open now... free of charge
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here