Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys spice up your popcorn?

Default How do you guys spice up your popcorn?

Hi guys,
    I switching to popcorn for bait. What do you guys do to spice up your popcorn? I've throwing jello mix on it, but I'm looking for some ideas.
    Thank you

I bought the cheapest pancake syrup or molasses I could find and poured on the popcorn and stirred it up with a stick to get it spread around (poured ½ the bottle, stir and repeat). About 2/3 of the bears that hit the bait would eat the popcorn first before moving on to whatever else I had there. If you’re using popcorn, you need a barrel or some kind of “roof” over it because rain will turn popcorn into a small pile of brown shells. It will dissolve the white fluffy part.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default spicing up a bait site

sugar in the oil... while poppin.

coffee syrups ~3 bucks a bottle... blue berry....

powdered sugar 5 lbs at sams ~3 bucks a bag

and the most current issue of PLAY BOAR.. for the rut.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Are you guys using popcorn MACHINES to do the popping or is there another way to do this?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgefan01 View Post
    Are you guys using popcorn MACHINES to do the popping or is there another way to do this?
    na large kettle over a camp stove or fire... the enamal canning pot work great.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

So this is something i could do at home or perhaps out at the site while re-baiting? What do i need? Veg oil, kernels?

If a PM would work better, i can do that (if you don't mind and i don't want to "hijack" the thread..

Thanks a bunch!

I just whipped up some "bear butter". I had some left over butter crisco laying around from the candles I made and decided to put it to use.

I mixed in a large pack of strawberry jello mix, some fruit punch kool-aid and a little water. It smells pretty good and is really sweet. My pup managed to flick his tongue into it when he was doing the smell test, so that's a good sign.
    I might try to pop some corn with this stuff at the same time to melt it in. I'll pour maple syrup in with it at the site just to give it the extra touch.

I also made some anise syrup I'll try in my other barrel. 13 cups of sugar for 1.5 gallons of syrup. Its some stong, sweet stuff.

I'm also going to make a huge batch of pancakes to bring out there. The mix is cheap, light weight and it soaks up syrups very well.

Default popcorn

I use an air popper with a bag lined trash can under it to catch the falling popcorn. as its falling I drizzle pancake syrup over it and dust it with powdered sugar untill the bag is full. Get a lot done pretty quickly with less mess.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    I use an air popper with a bag lined trash can under it to catch the falling popcorn. as its falling I drizzle pancake syrup over it and dust it with powdered sugar untill the bag is full. Get a lot done pretty quickly with less mess.
    What's an AIR POPPER?

What's an AIR POPPER?
    electric popcorn popper about 30 bucks at wal mart

meet on face book here

Copy, Thanks a lot guys!

I've googled the subject but this does sound A LOT easier

Default Raspberry Jello

I used to sprinkle raspberry jello over it in a five gallon bucket and stir a bit.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

2 poppers going at once. I fill trash bags at home the day before baiting.

Just verified (Walmart.com listed them as not in stores) w/Dimond store that they got them in stock. Looks like momma's getting a MOM DAY PRESENT we'll both ENJOY

Thanks a lot for the info guys!

I go to the salvation army and thrift stores and see them all the time for 2-5 bucks, I usually burn up 1 a year with all the popping I do.

Default Thank you

Hey guys, thanks for chipping in your ideas. I'll try it today.

Got my wife an AIR POPPER for MOM's day today!!

She already popped me a trash bag full and didnt even put a dent in the 8lb container we had of kernels!

Thanks again guys!

**BTW, i picked up a coleman propane stove (medium one that goes on top of tank) for a BUCK at yard sale today (never used)!!

Anybody pop their corn at the bait site?

Honey/syrup burns are popular enough. I was thinking about taking a 1 burner propane stove and an old stock pot and making popcorn at the stand.

Figuring more on the aroma factor than putting a gob of popcorn out there.

Sam's has pre-flavored popping oil in gallon jugs.

Other than having to put the burner up before getting in the stand, and hauling the pot in and then back out, any reason not to try this?
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Default Yep - Lid

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Anybody pop their corn at the bait site?

Honey/syrup burns are popular enough. I was thinking about taking a 1 burner propane stove and an old stock pot and making popcorn at the stand.

Figuring more on the aroma factor than putting a gob of popcorn out there.

Sam's has pre-flavored popping oil in gallon jugs.

Other than having to put the burner up before getting in the stand, and hauling the pot in and then back out, any reason not to try this?
    I have popped corn at the site; and I think it's a great idea.

Think about it, bring in a camp stove, a pot, small bottle of oil, pound of corn. And hang on.
    Smell is in the air, you can add some anise, jello, or whatever.

Allow me to offer one piece of advice - be sure to bring a lid. It's pretty amazing what happens with uncapped popcorn.

i will + 1, 2 and 3 on the lid... gotta have it

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast