Thread: Boat for Talkeetna Area Rivers

Default Boat for Talkeetna Area Rivers

I am considering getting a boat to use out of Talkeetna to run the Susitna, Talkeetna and Clear Creek. This boat will only be used on these rivers and will be kept at my cabin in Talkeetna and used rarely, mostly in the fall. I really would like to get the most affordable boat with the least amount of maintenance required that is capable of safely runnning these rivers. I do not have running water at the cabin, so flushing the engine regularly will not be possible. I am thinking of a sled in the 16 -20 foot range. Any suggestions on minimum horsepower or minimum hull type for this boat for these rivers would help to give me a starting point? Thanks

Default seems like...

You would want a flat bottom Jon boat. 16 or 18 foot depending on how much weight and people you want to carry. !6 foot I would say minimum of 40 horse with a jet. I had an 18 footer and an ole 50 Mercury jet and I could carry three people and a lot of gear in @ 4 inches of water.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Thumbs up Jon boat

Out of all the boats we have used, the Jon is the favorite because of size, ease of launching, motor size needed, ease of maintaining, durability, and moveability on a gravel bar.
    Compared to the following: Monark (now seark), two different types of Alumawelds, and a Zodiac.

"Anyone remember when the Jon's were stacked standing against the building at SBS? Man, they were inexpensive!"

Default Power

It does not seem that a 40 horse jet would be sufficient for the Talkeetna River....I may be wrong, but I think it is pretty fast and you would need more power

Kodiak, Ak

Default Jons are pretty light

Those Jon boats, (you'll see an awful lot of them driven by the locals), are pretty light, I think a 40hp will push it against that current really well.

Lot of down sides to having too much weight back there in the shallows,

man, that thing'll fly up the Talkeetna, You're gonna have some FUN
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Looking at river boats again, eh?