Thread: Where to fish in / around Anchorage end of May?

Default Where to fish in / around Anchorage end of May?

I will be visiting Anchorage at the end of the month and would like to do a nice fishing trip. Any suggestions on where or with who?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeD View Post
    I will be visiting Anchorage at the end of the month and would like to do a nice fishing trip. Any suggestions on where or with who?
    I guess the question would be how far you are interested in traveling, what kind of fishing you're interested in doing (fresh or salt) and how much you would be willing to spend.

There should be kings to be had in Ship Creek right in town. But it gets pretty "combat" when the kings are in.

There are rivers an hour or two north of Anchorage that have kings in them and also other fish such as rainbows and grayling.

If you're interested in saltwater adventures, Whittier is only a little over an hour's drive south of Anchorage and there are charter services that can get you into some halibut.

Seward is just over 2 hours south of Anchorage and has really good halibut fishing, too. Maybe even kings.

Then there's Homer, which is about 4 hours south of Anchorage. Plenty of opportunities for halibut and kings. Lots of charters out of Deep Creek/Ninilchik that can get you into some halibut and kings, too.

Then there are fly-in outfits in Anchorage that can fly you across the inlet for some real quality fishing. Of course you pay a premium price for doing that, too, so that has to be taken into consideration.

I am looking for a half day or so of some good saltwater fishing. I am willing to drive, but don't want to do any fly-outs. That help narrow things down a bit?

Default 1/2 day

1/2 day salt water fishing at the end of may might be limited to Seward in bay fishing for chickens and rockfish.

If you could spend a whole day on the water, which means leaving early and coming back late (to anchorage), then you will have increased your opportunity at some "good" saltwater fishing by threefold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    1/2 day salt water fishing at the end of may might be limited to Seward in bay fishing for chickens and rockfish.

If you could spend a whole day on the water, which means leaving early and coming back late (to anchorage), then you will have increased your opportunity at some "good" saltwater fishing by threefold.
    Okay, so what charters would you recommend for the full day in Seward?

If you can make the drive to Homer there are plenty of spots that are easily done as a half day charter where you can get plenty of halibut. You won't usually find any "monsters" within a half day run, but plenty of chickens. And there are kings out there at the end of the month too, so you could go out and get your limit of butt and then troll for kings until you just have to go back in. But it's 4 hours minimum each way from Anchorage, so it's not a "one day" sort of trip.

I'm not sure if you're going to find anyone in Seward that will do a half day for butt, though I could be wrong. The nice thing about Seward if you're trying to do it all in one day is that it's a lot closer so it can easily be done in one day from Anchorage. Either look through the "Services" section of this site or try doing a Google search for "halibut charters Seward" and you'll probably get about a million hits. Call or email some of them and see what they say about it. Or if you decide to come down to Homer check out the charter operators in the "Services" section here. Some of them will willingly do a half day for you.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com