Thread: Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby

Default Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby

For those of you that are interested, as of this evening (Thurs., May 6th) the leader of the derby is a 199 pounder caught aboard the Huntress with Josh Brooks. I guess he does know where there are some big ones! Second is something like 100 lbs. and then 3rd is about 49, but I'm sure those two places are going to change, if not first as well. I'm sure going to do my best to better them all!

That 199 is a nice fish for May. I don't think there has been a May derby fish crack 200# in quite awhile.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

wow 199lbs! hey I wonder if its ok to submit subsistence caught halibut?

The first time I went halibut fishing in Homer was in may awhile back, we went out to the Barrens, and I caught a 134 pounder, I didnt know much about the derby at that time, I did know the derby winners were usaually 300+, I didn't realize that they didn't get any of those big ones in May, needless to say, I didn't enter my fish and if I would have I would have been #2 for the month of may by a few pounds.

Default There is also these ones

Home | Current Standings | Prizes | Last Yearís Winners | Tickets |

There is also these ones a person can enter along with the biggest fish of the year.

Tagged Fish for Cash
    Released Fish Prize
    |
    Captainís Prize |
    Kid's & Lady Angler Prize |
    Lefty Prize |

Rules | Weigh-In
    Tides | Fishing License| History | Picture Gallery| 2009 Jamboree | Homer Information

Just an update and a fishing report. As of this evening (Sat.), there was no change on the leader board. But we gave it everything we had hoping to get one in there. Lots of chickens, but there are fish out there. Here's what we got today:

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    The first time I went halibut fishing in Homer was in may awhile back, we went out to the Barrens, and I caught a 134 pounder, I didnt know much about the derby at that time, I did know the derby winners were usaually 300+, I didn't realize that they didn't get any of those big ones in May, needless to say, I didn't enter my fish and if I would have I would have been #2 for the month of may by a few pounds.
    I long lined in the barrens for many years. Late may or early June opener produced many fish over 250 with a personal best of 386. After I had to deal with that fish on deck, any fish over 250 I just cut the ganion and let her go.

Nice fish
    interesting fact, no fish caught In May has won the derby
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Large halibut are the females

I know that Barn Door size Halibut really make a nice photo and a great marketing tool for Charter Operators But the large halibut are the females and when you wipe out the breeding stock, the Halibut will be gone. Real Sportsmen don't keep Halibut over 100 pounds.
    A CLOSE CALL IS A FREE LESSON

No need to keep the big ones anyway. The little ones taste so much better.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Charterboat Operator

Default Agree

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    I know that Barn Door size Halibut really make a nice photo and a great marketing tool for Charter Operators But the large halibut are the females and when you wipe out the breeding stock, the Halibut will be gone. Real Sportsmen don't keep Halibut over 100 pounds.
    got to agree w/fishmaster, even though I do the charter thing. 10+ butts released over 100 last year alone.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    got to agree w/fishmaster, even though I do the charter thing. 10+ butts released over 100 last year alone.
    I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. I've never retained a halibut over 100 lbs. and usually toss back anything over 50 - 60 or so.

And back on the topic of the Halibut Derby, for those of you that are unaware, they even have a prize for released fish.

"Any angler who catches and releases a halibut over 60 lbs, and possesses a valid derby ticket for the day, qualifies for a $1,000 cash drawing at the end of each month and a season long drawing for a prize of $5,000."

Keep that in mind if you're fishing the derby. That 100 pounder that won't get you on the board may just win you some big bucks and will help maintain the halibut population. I don't know this as a fact, but I've always heard that anything over about 70 lbs. will be a female.

For those that are interested, when I drove by the board today there was now a 130 pounder up there in second place. And I also walked by the carcass bin and there was one in there that had been filleted that I measured quickly with my 10" hand span that was about 64 inches by a quick measurement. Possibly that 130 pounder that's on the board.

New leader on the derby board---248 lbs! Yikes!!!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

wow 248 in late may. Nice butt.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

That's a darn big fish for May! Shouldn't be too surprised though.

Default when

So when is considered the best time for the big ones? How much is a derby ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    So when is considered the best time for the big ones? How much is a derby ticket?
    The best time for a big one is when you have your bait right in front of it.
    In previous years June and July have been the best months, but you never know.

Tickets are $10 per day, or if you plan on fishing 10 times or more you can buy a "10 day ticket" for $75 which you just get signed every time you go out. They don't have to be consecutive days, either.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmaster View Post
    Real Sportsmen don't keep Halibut over 100 pounds.
    I think you are taking that a little far. Sport fishermen have caught and kept trophy fish since the invention of the fishing hook.

I posted the same thing in another thread, but figured I'd do it here too for those that are interested.

I drove by the derby booth this afternoon and so far the biggest fish caught in June is smaller than the biggest May fish. More bigger fish were caught in June, but so far nothing bigger than May's winner.

Can't wait to see what July brings.