Thread: combo trip advice

Default combo trip advice

Im looking to book a combo trip out of homer on the 4th of July and am hoping that someone has a good recommendation of a reliable outfit I can call and trust!! Im doing a halibut trip out of seward on july 7th, so I figured I would try to get a mixed bag from homer. Recommendations ???

You might want to try Jim Lavrakas of Skookum Charters at: http://www.akskookumcharters.com/. He's got a beautiful boat and is one of the nicest guys going. Jim used to write a fishing column for the Anchorage Daily News as "The Fishing Dude" and he's an exceptionally accomplished fisherman.

You might want to check out the "Services" section above. Lots of good operations there, too.

I have no advise on charters out of Homer. I have been with 3 different charters, and had success with all of them. But the reason I am answering you post is to warn you that the Hoka Hey motorcycle race ends in Homer on the 4th of July.
    That is a 7,000 mile race of 1,000 Harley Davidsons racing from Keys West Fl. to Homer. They plan a big party on the 4th out east end road. Now the bikers are not allowed to stay in motels on the trip up, they have to sleep with their bikes. $500,000 prize to the winner.
    Anyway, the town is bounds to be extremely busy with bikers, and any people who want to join them at the end of their ride. The town could be booked up solid.
    I would get reservations for hotels or anything else right now if you can. It may be to late.

I already have all of my reservations set for lodging. I have heard from several people about this motorcycle, but thanks for the heads up!!. I spoke with a few charters yesterday that all had spots open for me on the boat, but its hard to tell who i want to fish with because you get the same responses from all of them..."we are the best and will put you on the fish". I also hear bad stories about people that have gone out with guides and had terrible times because the charter was in a hurry to get the boats limit and get back in to dock. Yes, I do want my limit, but I want to make a day out of it and target nicer fish and not keep the first 2 fish i catch.

Captain Mark on the Kingfisher. It's a 34' Catamaran. He's a couple boats down from me. He always comes back with beautiful fish. He's a nice guy. Look him up on the Ivory Queen web site. Then look under the photo albums and look at the one that says "Kingfisher". That's him (and the boat). He may be booked but.....

Default Capt. Pete

I had a great charter with Capt. Pete's (Pete Wedin). www.captpete.com.
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

I was short on cash last summer and went with Alaska Coastal Marine charters. They are cheap, but strictly a chicken hole run operation from my experience. They dropped us on a chicken hole and strongly encouraged everyone to keep the first two fish they brought up regardless of size. But hey, for 99 bucks you cannot expect much more than that.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....