Thread: Brown Bear

Default Brown Bear

If I take a brown/grizzly bear in May of 2010 in Unit 1A-which is one bear every 4 regulatory years can I take a brown/grizzly in September 2010 in Unit 25A which is one bear every one regulatory year?

yes

u may

Thanks.....

Default Regulatory Year

Only one bear in a regulartory year for those two areas. Read Page 29 of the reg. If you shoot one in a 1 bear every 4 year area or 1 bear a year area the only way you can shoot a second Brown bear is in Units 16B, 19a, 19D, 20e OR 22a, These are 2 Brown Bear a year areas. Other wise only one a year.

Unless Im reading this wrong.

350SD

If I take a brown/grizzly bear in May of 2010 in Unit 1A-which is one bear every 4 regulatory years can I take a brown/grizzly in September 2010 in Unit 25A which is one bear every one regulatory year?
    With May of 2010 being the latter part of a regulatory year and September 2010 being a new regulatory year you may take a bear in the order stated provided you are correct with the bag limits, ( I did not look them up).

Quote Originally Posted by 350SuperDuty View Post
    Only one bear in a regulartory year for those two areas. Read Page 29 of the reg. If you shoot one in a 1 bear every 4 year area or 1 bear a year area the only way you can shoot a second Brown bear is in Units 16B, 19a, 19D, 20e OR 22a, These are 2 Brown Bear a year areas. Other wise only one a year.

Unless Im reading this wrong.

350SD
    Regulator year is July 1st. So per the regs, like the 1 poster, I believe he would be legal, as long as it doesn't go by spring/ fall seasons of the regulatory year. Then it may not be legal.

Now everything is clear as mud.

Hey now no trying to capitalize on brown bear seasons and bag limits! You have to do like the rest of us and just hold off unless it is a monster of a bear then take your licks and not shoot the one in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Hey now no trying to capitalize on brown bear seasons and bag limits! You have to do like the rest of us and just hold off unless it is a monster of a bear then take your licks and not shoot the one in the fall.
    I said it was clear as mud and then who shows up?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Now everything is clear as mud.

I know I shot my BB in the fall of '07. The regs said that I am not eligible to shoot another BB in a 4 year unit until fall of 2011 or spring 2012. So just read the regs and make of it what you can or ask your local Fish and Game bio. It might make a difference in what you unit you shoot in first. 1 bear a year seems like it would be fine to shoot in the fall of the new reg. year. But shooting in a 4 year unit, you might not be legal till the following spring. I don't have the regs in front of me and don't want to look them up online. It will spell it out for you though. Confusing, but simple really.

Bear tracks look bigger in the mud, is that clear

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I know I shot my BB in the fall of '07. The regs said that I am not eligible to shoot another BB in a 4 year unit until fall of 2011 or spring 2012. So just read the regs and make of it what you can or ask your local Fish and Game bio. It might make a difference in what you unit you shoot in first. 1 bear a year seems like it would be fine to shoot in the fall of the new reg. year. But shooting in a 4 year unit, you might not be legal till the following spring. I don't have the regs in front of me and don't want to look them up online. It will spell it out for you though. Confusing, but simple really.

Bear tracks look bigger in the mud, is that clear
    I was reading the regs as I wrote the 1st post. There are just a couple of ambiguities which makes it a little confusing. F&G here I come.

Default Yes you can

You can shoot one in the spring in one area and then one in the fall in another area that is one every year. Regulatory year starts July1, so you are hunting on the next season's cycle. Don't let BRONCO mess you up!

Since the regulatory year is 1 July to 30 June, It is possible to take two bears in a single calendar year as long as its a spring bear and then a fall bear. You may not take a fall bear and then a spring bear (but then its two different calendar years but a single regualtory year).
    Here is the quote from the book concerning the initial question:
    "If you kill a bear in any of these "one bear every regulatory year" areas: Units 1-5, 6D, 7-10, 14A, 14B, 14C outside of Chugach State Park Management area, 15 and 22C, you may kill a bear in any "one bear every regulatory year" area during the next regulatory year, but you may not kill a bear in any bear every four regualtory year area for four regulatory years"
    So phish's one word answer is exactly correct.

We, not me, got a brownie today in the Misty Fiords. I'll try to post some picts tomorrow.

Thumbs up

Tell your son good job on the bear and lets see some pics!

Tell your son good job on the bear and lets see some pics!
    It wasn't the son, but a friend with us. But hey, we'll all got into the action.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    It wasn't the son, but a friend with us. But hey, we'll all got into the action.

Either way its good to hear you all were successful! Now where are the pics?

Either way its good to hear you all were successful! Now where are the pics?
    Patience Grasshopper.