Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: skill vs. luck

Default skill vs. luck

When it comes to your hunting prowess, how much do you attribute to skill, and how much to luck? (come on, be honest) Let's hear some examples. I, for one, am very skilled at being lucky
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Default ...

Luck favors the prepared. Skill is a derivative of preparation.

Had to "earn" a few successes, and have had a few "gifts". I like the "gifts" better but I'm prepared to earn it.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Default Luck is when...

Accused of being overly lucky, some wise old guy once told me ...

"Luck is when skill meets opportunity"

Took awhile to sink in. It fits in some instances.

better lucky than good

You are skilled at being lucky... I'm lucky to be so skilled.

I'll take both whenever I can get em! I have put in tons of work and come up empty handed many times. A certain amount of skill is being prepared when the opportunity presents itself. I learned the hard way a couple years back walking along a trail headed to the truck at dusk grunting like a moose. I got a return call from about 20' off the side of the trail. I was honestly just practicing and thought the return was my cousin messing with me as he was supposed to catch up w/ me in the field but never showed. I decided to oblige him and poked my head into the alders. There about 15' away was a spike fork staring back at me. Before I could get my rifle unslung and chambered the moose had more than he could take and left the area. I guess I had the skill to call the moose in but not the luck to harvest it!

My FIL has a classic luck/skill story. He went out on a 10 day float w/ his buddy and his bud knocked over a moose on the 4th day of hard hunting. That was the only animal they saw on the whole float. Driving back skunked a 30" bull walked out into the road and stared at him forcing him to stop the truck while it walked off into the woods and stood broadside. He was in an "any bull" area and the moose waited there until he got his rifle walked off the road and shot it. Then to ice the cake it ran about 30 yards and died along the side of a trail so he was able to back the truck right up next to it and listen to the radio while he butchered it out. He drove it straight to Mat-Valley Meats and never so much as drug a bag more than 10'!

To me, "luck" is Opportunity meeting with Preparedness, and since I'm always prepared, I take the max to make the opportunitys...... and the rest comes as it does....

Skill is the education and dextarity to get me out there , put the bullet in its place, survive the trip and eat/utilize all Ive gotten home......so I can do it again.........

Good luck to you all
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

LUCK...........right place at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    LUCK...........right place at the right time.
    Skill= the ability to be at the right place

Thumbs up

The Harder I hunt, the Lucky'er I get.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default The Harder I hunt, the Lucky'er I get

my definition of luck for the past 25 years.

Default Reality check

Just when I think I may actually have a little skill in the way of hunting the good Lord smiles and lets me miss a shot or blow a stalk just so I remember who provides me with all those "lucky" opportunities.

Default 10%

How many people do you know that you consider good hunters (and fishermen). Who bring home meat and "trophies" (in the eye of the beholder) every year? A wise man once told me ten percent of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. I think this applies to hunting too.

I have good friends who work thier butts of and have a good story when they get back, but eat tag soup all the time. I know others who also work hard and consistently get the job done.

I agree tho, Ill take luck over skill anyday

Default hard work

I would take hard work over skill or luck. It can take years to gather a great deal of skill and you can never control somethng that is truely a matter of "luck". However, you have complete control over how hard you work. The most novice and unlucky among us can make up for it with hard work. That much is up to you.

Either that or steal a buddy's good hunting spots

When I was a kid I noticed that some hunters in our camp were "luckier" than others. I was told:

"A good hunter makes his own luck"

Been trying to make luck ever since, and let me tell you, it's a lot of work!

Yk

I am not a believer in luck. Luck implies disorder, chaos, and chance. There is too much order in our world (IMO) to express strange happenings simply as chance or "lucky." Having said that, there is something about being in the right place at the right time that is exceedingly difficult to arrange regardless the level of skill or preparation one has at hand. I've always thought that is the reason that we say "I am going hunting" and not "I am going killing." There are perhaps myriads of reasons for the taking of game, but I would not consider luck to be among them. YMMV.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Accused of being overly lucky, some wise old guy once told me ...

"Luck is when skill meets opportunity"

Took awhile to sink in. It fits in some instances.
    I thought Lucky was being acccused of having an inside source espesally when applied to draw permits.

LIKE Jerod....

I am lucky to be as skilled as i am.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Luck ? Nawww

I like the word "Grace" better than luck, I work hard and really believe in preparation and "he who runs the most gear, wins" (that's fishing) but I can't relate to Luck at all, It's all "Grace to be able to do....."

Grace is the favor I've been given to be able to do things well, OR have them work out in spite of your own strength, skill, or knowledge.

I do believe you can create grace,

as in "Grace comes to the guy with callouses on his hands"

But hunting Wild Game on their turf, Man, there ain't no luck involved at all
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I really don't think it has to with either. ( I agree with the quote of being at the right place at the right time)

I walked this one sand bar that was 1-1/2 miles long ( one way) 15 times on the last couple of days of season. The last day of the season we were ready to pack up and float the rest of the way down stream. I told the guys I had to do it one more time. The wind was blowing at my back and I was getting pissed off at myself for making so much noise.lol. When I got to about 100 yards from where my path would put me back on the river, I was just so mad at myself and the wind that I just kicked the sand into the little stream that I was walking on and this 50" bull stood up 75' away. 1 shot down. Gave thanks and headed back to camp. The rest of the guys were already starting to float off. A couple of them wanted to keep going, but would have felt bad if they would have ever seen me again and decided it was worth it to help me out and get a few steaks on the side.

traphuntfish hit it on the head,10% of the fisherman and hunters collect 90% of the game....consider yourself bessed if your in the 10% group....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast