Thread: Mulchatna hunt air taxi service

Default Mulchatna hunt air taxi service

Greetings all... I'm planning a fly-in, self-guided hunt around early Sept. to take a crack at the Mulchatna herd. Living in Anchorage, I'll likely fly out of Merrill Field and be out for about 7 days. Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality air taxi service to fly me and a buddy out and back? We're looking for a wheeled plane, so that we're not restricted to the lakes that will probably already have people in the area. Also, I'd prefer (but not insist) on a mid-hunt meat pickup. Any names/contact info you can provide would be much appreciated by this fellow hunter!

Andy

I don't have a specific recommendation for you, but you might want to consider flying Era out to Illiamna or King Salmon and then taking an air charter from there. Flying from Anch is going to be quite expensive and somewhat limiting as far as weather and time aloft. My understanding is that the herd has been spending time further away from Anch than the past, so it's harder to reach them in one shot. Illiamna is where I would start looking.

-Brian

Default Recommendation

Ditto what BM said. Its pretty expensive to fly out of anch. just to find out the herd is farther west. Been there done that. PM me if you want more specifics.

Default Out West?

Natron flies in for $ 1,600 from Anc. but only drops off around Illiamna. I think the fellas that are getting nice Mulchatna bulls are flying out of Bethel, or at least heading further west of Illiamna, in that general direction.

Tim

I've flown out of Lake Hood a number of times and have been successful. www.trailridgeair.com 248-0838.

USAFWX....

Greetings, I'm fairly well tuned-in to the Mulchatna Caribou herd. Respectuflly, you should consider other options.

Of the few Caribou still remaining in the "Mulchatna Herd", I'm not sure there will be an open season for general hunting during the fall of 2007. I realize the season is listed in the regs, however recent reports indicate the herd conditon worse than antisipated. It wouldn't surprise me to see ALL general season Caribou hunting in this region close by EO.(emergency order).

As some freindly advise & practically speaking, coming out here to shoot the last remaining "Mulchatna" Caribou is not a wise choise, choose another spot and go have fun.........good luck!

i've been hearing similar things along the line as byron has pointed out. mulchatna is not in its best form these days. Most of the big stories i'm hearing now are coming from 40 mile, NWAH or whatever its called, the one north of the brooks. occasionally you hear some story about one down off the pennisula too and adak, but i haven't heard any stories outa mulchatna in quiet a while.
    perhaps a guide on every other hill and two residents on the hills inbetween didn't help the herd any? one guide up north of where byron is, took 97 unguided hunters in about two falls ago, that doesn't count the hunters he had his guides take out. alot of hunters. same story as moose in 13 maybe, to much access, to many predators and a few tough winters...caribou are weird though. seems like sometimes they just all decide to die or something. like the big freak out with the nelchina herd several years back.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I agree with the others. Out of all the caribou my wife takes in very few lately have been decent from the mulchatna. A few monsters from Adak. The haul road was good for big ones last fall.

If it was my money, I'd spend a little more and fly out of Kotz for the western arctic herd.

Its a shame the mulchatna is in the condition it is in. I remember flying out with Talon air for $695 (total, no hidden costs) and seeing more caribou than I could imagine.

If mulchatna is in your cards, I'd also recommend Iliamna air guides. I've used them before and they treated us right.

I would have to agree with the idea that Mulchatna caribou is on the down swing. We hunted there 2 years ago and didn't take a single bull caribou. Saw caribou only one day within 3 miles of camp and none of them were worth shooting. If you only want to hunt for meat then you may be a happy camper. Emphasis on the "Camper".

Having hunted the mulchatna herd last season all I can say is don't. Over 6 days we saw 25 cow caribou. IT was attrocious, not to mention not the best drop off service. If you are thinking of going out of ninilchik, pm me to be told who to avoid.

Default Mulchatna herd

Those are some of the worse rumors I've ever herd of. I saw literally thousands of caribou last sept on my hunt and thousands more from the air on the way out that were no where near our drop camp. My brother and I both took nice bulls (Mine was Bigger LOL) Yes the herd is in decline, But look at how fast it grew right before it declined. There is no emergency order upcoming. There are still more caribou in the herd than most of the other herds in the state combine.
    I would definately recommend the hunt but like the first few posters said, get as far away from ANC as you can (WEST) King salmon, aniak, dillingham ect are all seeing excellent numbers on thier hunts.
    Good hunting!!
    Ohh and you can see my bull here.
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...eID=1194358905
    Justin

good looking bull, glad you had a nice trip with your bou. i was over king salmon way two falls ago first of oct and didn't see a single caribou. i'm guessing you need to go a bit more north. did a hunt off the mulchatna river about six years ago saw two bulls, both small in seven days, maybe 70 cows give or take.
    sounds more to me like its hit and miss, you hit it right, others hit it wrong. i think what the poster might be looking for is some consistancy in the caribou....which is slim at best.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default I Agree with bryan

I was going to hunt the mulchatna last fall, did find some decent numbers of bou, all in hard to land places, swamps, and the hills, but nothing like the numbers we use to see. Put 16 hours on the hobb meter of a 206(not cheap). Did not find many bulls, and the giant bulls are few and far between. To go and shot the few remaining bulls, just dont make much since, while they are in such a decline. So, I decide to take the boy up to the north slope this year before it declines to. The WACH is the only one at this point that can take the pressure we are all putting on the herds. I dont like hunting out of Kotz, so if I was to hunt it would be out of somewhere else.

Default Mulchatna Bou

Hunted the Mulchanta last year and it was very poor hunting, seen some cows and calfs, a few dink bulls, but no, no, no monster like there use to be.

John

Default caribou

Did all of you guys happen to fly out in aircraft that accomodate mre than one person and one pilot? Our outfitter flys cubs both on floats and on tundra tires he can land within a reasonable distance of any larger accumulations of animals.
    Justin

Talking mulchatna

Just my experience, but when I hunted the mulchatna herd I in 2003 everyone in my party shot nice bulls(6), and 3 cows. I shot the largest, it was a B&C score 409Ē. We were hunting September 1st and didnít have a migration we were hunting local bulls. We only say maybe 40 bou the whole time, but big bulls. If your hunting early and donít hit the right spot your not going to see much.

Default We saw bou, that was not the problem

I saw probably 4000 bou, that was not the problem, does not matter what you fly, if you think you could land in these swamps. With the decreased pressure the caribou was not moving. There were a couple of places you could land in a super cub if the wind was right. There were alot more Bou in 2003, in 2003 I shot a big 380 point bull and my bro shot a nice one to. If someone was to call the bio, dick sellers he would let know this herd is headed for trouble. You know its not looking good when many major guides and transporters are not taking caribou clients to the mulchatna. And Adventures thats a nice bou, what did it score about 370 B & C. I once knew a transporter that would take you for free the following year if you did not see a 380 class bull. The Quality of the Bou have really declined, that is the point. Saw Terry Holiday out there flying and not him, bryan or any other good pilot can get you on trophy bulls these days. The herd is being hurt thats the point, and any future exploitation, by an outfitter how can get close enough to shot the few monster bulls left is selfish and not protecting the resource. We should take it easy on the herd at least until it stabilizes.

Terry
    Last edited by Terry; 01-20-2007 at 15:12.