Thread: Hard to Watch

Unhappy Hard to Watch

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but man it makes me sick to watch what's going on down in the Gulf of Mexico. I imagine that spill will eclipse the Exxon spill. What's to come from this? We still need oil. We're not gonna stop driving, or using petroleum. It's hard to believe this won't happen again, or hasn't come very close to happening several times before. I'm going on the hopes that some sort of law is passed to require the drill platforms to test and exercise the blow off preventors on a regular basis and to add modifications or safeguards to prevent thier damage when a platform collapses.

Didn't mean to be down on this, but every day I hear the latest developments, it makes me pray for those who live down there and that it doesn't happen up here.

That's it. I'm done.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default World War II

this oil spill may turn out bigger than the valdez oil spill BUT! do you know that the biggest oil spill that ever occured on the history of the planet was World War 2? imagine allllll the ships that were sunk, in the north atlantic, the south pacific, the mediterrenean sea. 10s of thousands of tankers and freighters and subs and destroyers, and who knows how many werent even documented, plus all the aircraft that crashed in the sea during that era.....what about all that? does anyone even think about that anymore? With that in mind, the valdez and the gulf spills may (or may not depending on your opinion) pale in comparison.

Release Lake Trout

Default Most of the ships

lost the only oil was a limited amount of bunker oil for the engines. The main mass was diesel and some gasoline/ aviation fuel.

The diesel and gas will disappate relativly quick. It was the heavy bunker oil that hung around or in this case crude.

Granted it all poisons the water.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default What went wrong is a question

I have worked offshore, and they do test the BOP once a month. There is more to what happened that a single event. Like any thing these massive hunks of steel can be damaged if something is done at the wrong time.

There is no advantage for them to leak oil. So prevention is key, but unless 100% of every procedure is followed failure is a possible result. But remember there is a lot of super smart people out there that know so much more than any procedure. Just look along the highway after a snow.

Possible reasons could be a attack of terror also, after all some of your ding dongs in DC say the threat is over for them to attack the USA.

Default BOP testing

They actually are required by law to test the BOP's (Blow Out Preventers) every 14 days. It's possible, and probable that the BOP's tried to shut in the well on a collar and was unable to severe the pipe. They would have been likely using some fairly strong pipe to drill/case in that deep of water, which may have been a factor.

Pure speculation, but we will know what happened at some point, since all the evidence will be brought to the surface, I'm sure.

God rest the souls of the men that were lost in this tragic accident.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    lost the only oil was a limited amount of bunker oil for the engines. The main mass was diesel and some gasoline/ aviation fuel.

The diesel and gas will disappate relativly quick. It was the heavy bunker oil that hung around or in this case crude.

Granted it all poisons the water.
    The war ships would actually dump huge tanks of oil to calm the seas so they could shoot accurately.

I wonder if BP called Red Adair?

I find it surprising that the "answer" seems to be slapping a big concrete box over it. Why not just send some high explosive bunker buster type weapon down there and collapse the drilled opening?

Unhappy Big mess

The mechanical fix of all this is one mess, the plants, animal, and land fix is another mess, then there's the political fix for the mess that will be after all the first messes are fixed.

This is going to bring all the energy sources debates to a head and jump start some changes. OR the media will die down on this like all other disasters and the publics minds will lull back into it's daily slumber.

If they can't cap it and it reaches the coastal lands, beaches, and rivers, and heads up the east coast it will be anyones guess as to what happens to the economy and environment!

Not to be selfish, but it could drive up the demand/price for oil. Good for AK? Don't know.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.