Thread: Which powder measure???

Default Which powder measure???

I'm thinking about a new powder measure. I have a Lyman 55 that I don't like. I have a Lee Auto-Disk that I usually use on handgun stuff.
    What I need, is something that is accurate enough that I can trust it with my 450 Marlin loads (50.0 of H-322). I think the auto disc is accurate enough but I don't think it will go up to that weight even with the double disc.
    I don't want to have to check weight on every charge. I don't want electric.
    Suggestions?

I hear good things about the Redding 3BR

Anyone use Quick Measure?
    http://www.quick-measure.com/qm.htm
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

lee scoops is all you should use... anything faster then that and you will work up a sweat... and i know how you feel about over working your self
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default I know you said.... but...

I think you should reconsider the electronic dispensors. I took a gamble a couple years ago and bought the Lyman DSPIII. My old school powder throwers now just sit there on the bench, un-loved and gathering dust. I wont ever go back, and I use mine all the time for loading 45-70 and 450 when I had one. It's accurate, repeatable, easy and fast.... what more do you want?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Give www.ch4d.com a try. I have one, it works very well, as does my RCBS.

I think once you step up to a quality measure, they are all roughly the same. I am surprised the Lyman doesn't work.

The Rolls-Royce are the Harrell dispensers, but they'll set you back 3 bills.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

The redding 3br is a great powder measure. I use it on everything, from 221 fireball to 500 Jeffrey and everything in between and at least a dozen differrent powders, ball, flake and stick. I can't see the advantage of the electronic measures, they are slower and electronics have a way of crapping out.

I own and use over a dozen different powders and really like the Harrell's the best. I have a redding 3BR measure also and don't find it any better than anything else on tube powders. I still trickle up for ever charge. Yes most of the stuff I load for that I care about I trickle the charges with stick powder. Ball powder is a different story. I load a lot of ball for .223 NATO and don't have to throw charges of stick powder or weight charges.

I have yet to find any measure you could call good with stick powders. Sorry!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I'm thinking about a new powder measure. I have a Lyman 55 that I don't like. I have a Lee Auto-Disk that I usually use on handgun stuff.
    What I need, is something that is accurate enough that I can trust it with my 450 Marlin loads (50.0 of H-322). I think the auto disc is accurate enough but I don't think it will go up to that weight even with the double disc.
    Suggestions?

I have several powder dispensers--a Bonanza Benchrest, an old Hornady, a RCBS Uniflow and an electronic combo unit by PACT. I do not presently have a Harrell, but it is the most precise I have used. The Harrell will throw very consistent charges with the smaller grained powders, but it will vary a tenth or two with the larger granules. IME Big Al is correct. I am unaware of a dispenser that will throw absolutely consistent charges with stick powders--you just can't get closer than plus or minus a tenth variation. In most rifles that will not matter, but it bothers some guys and confidence is hard to develop when you have doubts about your equipment. FYI: I have had zero trouble with my PACT unit (bought it about 1999) and have known several other handloaders that use them as well without any problems.

OK, the replies here & on a couple of other boards have me thinking I should give my Lyman & my Lee Perfect another chance.
    I haven't cared for the Lee perfect because it had a tendancy to dribble powder all over the bench with H-110 & the like.
    I'll try it with the H-322.
    The Lyman was always just a pain & I never got great consistency. Probably the operator.
    If they don't work I think I'll bite the boolit for the Redding BR 3.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Suggestions?

I like the Harrell and the old Belding & Mull. I have several other ones. I am not smart enought to figure out the settings on the Lyman. The Harrell is rpeatable, just count the clicks.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Alangaq is probably right, but I don't have a place suitable for such a device.

I recently bought a Redding 3BR (Universal), and it's very consistent with Ball Powders like W748. I understand that H 322 meters well too.

I can set it, record the setting, and go back to it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Another vote for a scoop.

Scoops (either Lee or home-made), once adjusted, never go out of adjustment, cannot cut or break granules and are dirt cheap. They are as accurate as any powder measure (except trickling up every charge, either by hand or electronically) I have ever heard of (provided your scooping technique is good).

Adjusting them to weight is a trial, though, and you wind up with one scoop dedicated to each powder charge of each powder, but hey, they are cheap.

They are a little slower than a regular powder measure and a lot slower than a die-mounted Lee Auto-Disk (or similar self-actuating throwers) which I use on my progressives. But I have only ever owned one other powder thrower (an RCBS unit) and decades ago traded it and my RCBS Jr for a RCBS Rock Chucker and never regretted it.

Lost Sheep