Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: b&b nets vs. mikes dip nets

Default b&b nets vs. mikes dip nets

Was going to buy a dip net and was wondering if the b&b nets at costco compare to mikes nets in sterling. costco is cheaper. does anyone how these nets compare?

The costco nets seem to be a bit heavier than the mikes nets. If you're going to plunk down the $, might as well go with one of mikes.

That said, it's fairly easy to make up your net frame, just get a section of gillnet from B&J or Donnalsons.

Default This is what I know...

Mike in Sterling does a wonderful job with aluminum but are on the spendy side. Those from Costco are knock-offs from Ron's custom dipnets in Birchwood. If you are looking for a beach net, I would recommend Ron but if you are looking at a boat rig, I would go with Mike.
    Ron makes a heavier net but will hold in the current longer cause of the weight. Mike's are great on a boat cause of the weight also. Easier to throw in or out. JMO. Every one will have one, just compare and make your own decision cause you will have to live with your choice. Good Luck
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I've used both, as well as the B&J nets. From a boat (all my dipping), Mike's is the best. The hoop is actually oval in cross section which causes less drag in the water and is better for boat handeling.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I'm a shore dipper. My old Sportsman Warehouse net finally broke down last year. Bought 2 new nets from Ron for this season. 5ft and 4ft hoops. They quality of construction is certainly better. Looking forward to see how they perform.

+1 on Mikes nets from a boat. The oval shape is awsome for low drag resistence.
    If you have the tools and are a little construction savy you can make your own nets fairly easily. With the cost of materials nowdays it may be better to buy one . So much depends on what you have on hand or can scrounge. One guy I know made some pretty nice octagonal nets from copper pipe and fittings a few years ago but now that copper is so expensive I am not sure it is still worth the effort. Especially when you consider the quality of the nets being made by Mikes or Rons.
    I prefer to support local business over the box stores though. Another good reason to go to Mikes or Rons.
    Also this is probably a good time to shop. During the dipnet season many places run out and your options become limited.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default couple questions

Can some point me towards Ron's, I didn't find anything with a google search.

Also does anybody know who makes the square frames for shore dipping? I've seen a couple last year & they seemed to do just as good as the others, & thought it might be intresting to try.

Default Ron's custom dipnets

688-1271, Tell him Ken from the dipnetting association sent you his way. Also tell him he probably should Join this forum too. Good luck
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 05-13-2010 at 13:36. Reason: Cause I can't walk and talk!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Mike's nets are the best.

Default what about

the size and shape of a net for the Chitina? Round, oval or square if your fishing from the shore.

Default Net shape

Might not matter much when things are hot, but a circle net has the greatest surface area for perimeter. Also, circle nets may not hang up on rocks as much as those with corners. You'll also benefit from being able to cover the vertical dimension of the water column better than with a horizontal rectangle.

Whatever you have, bring with you a decent and complete backup net, tools, and parts for yourself or the next person who may need them. It's far too long of a trip to have equipment failure with no replacements.

Default GR8fl

Rep points your way. Very good advice. Back up everything so you are not SOL if something breaks or comes apart.

Default It happens

Happened to me a few years back. Caught a huge boulder just minutes into the fishing and lost my whole rig. Not a happy camper.

I did have a worthless black landing net with a flimsy pole with me, but they weren't much consolation and hardly caught anything.

Also swore off the black fiberglass poles at the Copper. The current torques the net and makes the button open up the hole enough to lose control of your net angle. Those fiberglass poles also are known to split.

Sweet pic. What's on the lower rock? Looks like a natural pool to keep your fish in.

I've never used Ron's or Mike's nets. I now own two of Ron's and think they will work great. My uncle bought one of Mike's last year. 4 footer. He did well on the south Kenai, but mine was a 5' and I caught a few more. Was a rather slow day though, and maybe that is the indicator of a good net: Does it catch fish when it's slow.

Default Famous Secret Fishing Hole

That rock has only been exposed and accessible once in all the times I've been there. That year it worked out great for fishing the pool and holding the catch.

Pole length is totally related to the spot you're fishing. One year at the Copper Canyon we were pushing 16' poles all the down to the handle and loading up at the bottom of a hole.

Other times you can catch them in back eddies just fine with a 10 footer. Long poles can be a problem if you're fishing a narrow shelf and don't have much room. The pole gets all hung up on the cliffs behind you.

We do fine boat fishing on the Kenai and Kasilof with 10 footers, but our boat is dinky and has little freeboard. Even at that length, you have to watch what you whack with the free end.

The end of the matter is: Have some options and take extras, just like with the nets.

PS. If you have a "D" handle on your pole, hollow out the thin plastic plugs on both ends and you can tap a 3 foot section of 3/4" EMT through the handle to give yourself some leverage holding the net perpendicular to the current.

I'll second the pole length comment. Even between the Kasilof and Kenai I've found a difference. I own two of Ron's nets and have used them for two years, no complaints at all. I'll also put in a plug for the netting Ron uses. Two years of dipping (70 fish) and no a broken strand on either net (I do carry a spare net just in case).

When I bought them from Ron he asked me where I'd primarily be dipping and I said the Kasilof. So he suggested a 15' net (10' handle and 5' hoop). Last year my wife and I decided to try the Kenai after a day on the Kasilof, we only needed 12 fish to round out our limit so it was worth a shot and I just wanted to see what that river was like. Only shared the north beach with about a dozen others and the reds were going hot. Awesome! But the waves coming in off the Inlet meant we could only wade out just above our knees, any farther and the waves would over top our waders. I watched many reds 'riding the wave' just a few feet beyond the end of my net. That was one case I felt a longer handle would have definitely helped. We still caught our 12 fish in short order, but I just couldn't help but think the "grass was greener on the other side" or in that case "greener just beyond my net."

Default I got news for you...

The grass is... ALWAYS greener if you had a longer/shorter/bigger/smaller/should had been here yesterday/tomorrow kind of thing. At least that happens to me all the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    The grass is... ALWAYS greener if you had a longer/shorter/bigger/smaller/should had been here yesterday/tomorrow kind of thing. At least that happens to me all the time!!!
    I was thinking the same thing. "If I could just reach out a little farther....."

Default Ron Fuller's nets out of Birchwood Loop Chugiak

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. "If I could just reach out a little farther....."
    I'm a big believer in Ron's nets and hoops both; I usually outcatch most of the dippers next to me, and I usually use my long pole unless the tide is way strong or I'm way tired.

I love it when a little kid goes just a little ways out and dips behind the wall of guys - and catch! One time I saw this very enthusiastic kid having great fun doing this again and again - outcatching all of us bigger guys that were way out there with tall waders and long poles - eventually the wall of dippers moved shallower so they could catch some too!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I'm a big believer in Ron's nets and hoops both; I usually outcatch most of the dippers next to me, and I usually use my long pole unless the tide is way strong or I'm way tired.

I love it when a little kid goes just a little ways out and dips behind the wall of guys - and catch! One time I saw this very enthusiastic kid having great fun doing this again and again - outcatching all of us bigger guys that were way out there with tall waders and long poles - eventually the wall of dippers moved shallower so they could catch some too!
    I hear ya. I've seen the kids doing just that as well and always get a kick out of it. Or watching ma and pa sitting in the lawn chairs with their hoops 10' out off the bank. A 10' handled net is enough to wear me out after holding it against the current for half a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast