Thread: tanana river

Default tanana river

wonder in anyone could tell me a good place to launch a bout from around the fairbanks area

It would probably be easiest/ free to do it from the chena then take that to where they merge just beyond the airport. You can launch for free at pikes and its not even a mile trip until they merge there is also the park on university it is a 5 dollar launch fee and free parking for daily use parking i think 5 bucks for overnight and its only about a half mile from pikes.. All the big name marinas on the Tanana close to Fairbanks charge more if i do remember.

After getting on google earth its about 4 water miles from pikes to the spot where they merge but still shouldn't take no time at all to get there.

Default Access points

BSJ425 is right that Pikes is free to launch from. It is an easy run downriver, even with a prop and he is also correct in that it is close to 4 miles.
    The mouth though may be a bit sketchy with a prop compared to the Chena, but you'll still make it ok.
    Chena Pump Campground is also a good place to launch from on the Tanana itself. It is free and lots of guys park there. Normally you will not have issues with vandalism.
    If you are going to be out Saturday afternoon plan on stopping by our party at my house on the Chena. I posted it in the Global Discussion Forum.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    BSJ425 is right that Pikes is free to launch from. If you are going to be out Saturday afternoon plan on stopping by our party at my house on the Chena. I posted it in the Global Discussion Forum.
    I HEAR there is secure parking and no launch fees when using Ak river rats lawn to launch off of also
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

thanks for all the info, once i get on the tanana from the chena what kind of change in current speed and water depth

The change in current is pretty big the chena is real slow moving epically in town where it is wider the Tanana isnt necessarily fast flowing just alot faster than the chena and the depth varies from spot to spot there are spots where it is knee deep and others where it is 20+ ft deep right now the rivers are pretty low still the rain may have helped some but I was out that way last week on my ATV and the tanana was pretty low around where they merge with huge ice chunks floating about so be on the look out for that.

Chena Pump campground will be your best bet for heading straight out on the Tanana, especially if you are going downstream.

I took a walk out here today at lunch and the Tanana is very low right now. And clear in places if you can believe it or not.

Here was I:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...08894&t=h&z=17

People launch out there all the time but Ill bet vandalism is a problem.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Default ARR Boat Launch and Grill

Just leave your keys in the rig. What could possilbly go wrong? Kind of like parking at Minto years ago, it might be better to leave the truck unlocked and a "gift" on the seat.
    Wee bit of mud out front under a few inches of water. The river dropped about 8" or so after the ice flushed. I have not tried to launch anything bigger than a lab after a ball, so not sure if I could get a boat off of the trailer or not. Certainly not a big tub anyways.

JOHNSONp2, you new at this? The Tanana, if low, is easier to run as most of the hazard stick out. It is not a bad idea to go with somebody if it is your first trip.

Not sure I'll have time, but you can always give me a schedule and I'll see.

The tanana really dos'nt rise until the glaciers start melting.

A good rain might raise it a couple of inch's, but you really won't see a noticeable rise in the water til we get some warmer weather.

If there are some good storms on the tributaries it will rise along with them, but will go back down with them at the same time.

A few days of 70-80 degree temps you will see a noticable differance.

Pikes launch needs some work. If you do use it, go off the side of the pad on the upstream side as there is a big cliff at the bottom of the concrete pad. I watched a guy drop his inboard boat and trailer off that cliff right onto the trailer frame...ouch.

I used Graehl landing last night and it was perfect, no secure parking there however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellamar View Post
    Pikes launch needs some work. If you do use it, go off the side of the pad on the upstream side as there is a big cliff at the bottom of the concrete pad. I watched a guy drop his inboard boat and trailer off that cliff right onto the trailer frame...ouch.

I used Graehl landing last night and it was perfect, no secure parking there however.
    Thanks for the warning. I was thinking about launching there on Saturday. I'll bring the waders and scope it out before backing the truck down.

Do you know if anybody has talked to Pike's about this?

we were there earlier this week and can confirm that the landing needs a little attention however I'm sure it only becomes a factor when the water is as low as it is.

The concrete slab doesn't tapper off to facilitate an easy launch. The slab just drops off and causes the wheel wells to grid on the slab until you back far enough into the water.