Thread: Savage Edge?

Default Savage Edge?

Good morning,

I am looking at getting a new centerfire rifle and wanted to see if anyone had opinions on the Savage Edge.

PURPOSE: The primary purpose will be for a 'bou hunt this fall, but it will probably be the primary hunting centerfire rifle in my safe for some time. I already have a MN 91/30 which is fun to shoot cheap ammo with, but it isn't really appropriate for lugging around in the woods on multi-day trips... So, I'm looking for something relatively light (it will be lugged, by foot, on a week long hunting trip), reliable, and adequete for hunting.

CARTRIDGE: I'm looking at the .308 win because it is a versatile flat-shooting all-around cartridge with manageable recoil that is adequate for anything up here other than brown bears and maybe moose -- neither of which I'm planning on hunting.

COMPETITION:
    I've looked at a bunch of rifles all over town and am thinking about getting a Savage Edge. The price is simply hard to beat. I've looked at the mid-$600 tier of rifles (Ruger M77s, Remington 700s, Tika T3s, etc) and I'm not sure what you get with those offerings which are twice the price of the Edge. The bolt on the Tika is a little smoother, and the Remington 700/Ruger M77 come in more styles, and the more expensive Savage rifles come with the adjustable accutrigger, but the basic Edge seems to be an adequate no-frills hunting rifle for half the price.

The rifle shoulders fine, I like the tang mounted safety, and it'll be easy to mount a scope on. The trigger seemed decent. Weight is acceptable at 6.5 lbs and the barrel is a reasonable length. There are some manufacturing shortcuts (like using a one-size fits all action rather than short/long actions) but they don't seem to negatively affect performance or accuracy. The main thing I am concerned about is a lack of iron sights; maybe I'm a bit paranoid but I never like relying 100% on a scope with no backup...

Does anyone own an Edge? Anything I'm missing? While certainly not a perfect rifle, the Edge seems to fit my criteria for a very reasonable price.

I have not seen one yet and do not know anyone that has fired the new rifle. My guess is that it will be a minimally utilitarian rifle that will serve some hunters well and fail for others. I think in the price range you are considering the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 would be a better value IMO.

Pertaining to back up iron sights, a quality scope in proper mounts is more secure and durable than most factory supplied iron sights. A good scope is definitely better than the iron sights on a $3-400 rifle.

The 308 Winchester is a fine choice, but in a long action hunting rifle I would prefer a 30/06. The recoil may be slightly more, but the '06 is a better choice in every other category IMO.

Good advice...

I took another trip to the gun shop and am now looking at a Weatherby Vanguard per your advice or Browning XBolt (if I can justify the $$$). The Vanguard seems like a solid choice, except I can't find it in stainless. I was pretty much ready to get one until I tried a Browning, just for kicks. Now I'm tempted to bust the budget...

I thought about it, and realized that I need a rifle which will be 100% dependable after walking in for 5 days. I may not have the luxury of having a back up rifle close by, I don't anticipate hunting with ATVs/horses/large camps, so it seems like it is worth paying the money to get something that is higher quality and will be utterly reliable. Plus, I know if I shell out $300 for an entry level rifle down the road I'll be shelling out more in a year for a better one. So it may be better just to buy once, cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by nittanytbone View Post
    I thought about it, and realized that I need a rifle which will be 100% dependable after walking in for 5 days. . . . so it seems like it is worth paying the money to get something that is higher quality and will be utterly reliable. Plus, I know if I shell out $300 for an entry level rifle down the road I'll be shelling out more in a year for a better one. So it may be better just to buy once, cry once.
    I think that is a sound decision. There are a lot of good values in rifles and equipment, but there are very few bargains. Depending upon on of the bargains in the AK bush may very well bite you in the rear.